King size bed Hawk and a Sailboat

We extended our pull out tray to sleep north/south in our Hawk. One of the best things we've done so far.

www.mulehawk.com

I did the extension a couple yrs ago used an extension of 1/2" plywood and piano hinge on rear of pullout so it will fold. It flexes but hasn't failed. Best mod for comfort! Interferes with cooking coffee in the am but worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Nice thing about being short. The normal pullout works fine for us north/south, with just my feet hanging over once in awhile. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

We have the king sized pull out in the Grandby. It's a fantastic option and one of my favorites. I originally thought that I'd rarely take the extra cushions to make this work but now I do it on almost all trips.

Fortunately at 5'10" and a modified front bench I can sleep across it and don't use the cab over that much in my Grandby. I need to get a bed extension built too. The east/west sleeping and no H20 heater are the only downsides for my FWC compared to my previous motor home.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I'd like to see pics of the extension for the Hawk I would really like to sleep north to south. We have the side dinette... question on how you get in and out of the bed with mod? Did you order additional cushions from FWC?

I'm 6'2" and don't mind the standard sleeping position. What am I missing that makes the king setup so much nicer?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

XJINTX said:
I'd like to see pics of the extension for the Hawk I would really like to sleep north to south. We have the side dinette... question on how you get in and out of the bed with mod? Did you order additional cushions from FWC?
I just added a new section of plywood that I attached to the old tray. It braces the old tray when pulled out past the stop, someday I will redo the whole tray but while on the road this was the best I could do in a pinch. We get in and out by putting a foot on the rear seat of our side dinette and climbing in. I'm 6'1" so it's easy for me to get up there. My wife has a slightly harder time at 5'6" but it's not a problem for her.

We have the stock cushions, there is a 4 inch gap with the extension, we just stuff a blanket in the gap and call it good.

www.mulehawk.com

Really wish FWC would do a Hawk with the queen non pull out like on the flatbed camper. I had a 2002 Hawk with the short cab over, sold it to get an extended cab over Hawk. Never liked having to make the camper into a bedroom at night and then put it all back in the morning. Guess some people need more sleeping room than we do.

The model that we saw at Overland EXPO this year had that. It was a pretty neat setup and had under the bed storage to boot.
I think it would be a great selling feature for them.

You are correct on the bed setup/take down, it's doable but takes time and effort.

fireball said:
I'm 6'2" and don't mind the standard sleeping position. What am I missing that makes the king setup so much nicer?
With king, you have the option to sleep north south rather than east west so you both can crawl in and out of bed easily instead of the inside person having to crawl over the outside person like when sleeping east west.

Back
Top Bottom