KOFA NWR ?

K6ON

Old & Soft
I'm heading for Overland Expo in Arizona happening the weekend of 4/16 ~17~18. I'm leaving Norcal on Saturday the 10th so have almost a week to sight-see on the way over, although I'll be spending a couple days in Tucson with friends.

I've never been to KOFA and am wondering how the camping and wildlife viewing might be. I'll be solo, so don't have to stay in any formal grounds if there are any. Can any of you offer some suggestions of
good 4X4 roads and good camping areas. I've ordered the book "Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" and it should be here Wednesday so I'll at least have some idea of the roads any of you recommend.

Thanks

There are several areas to explore in KOFA. If you're up for a more rugged road, Engesser Pass is a wonderful trip. You can also do some hiking in Palm Canyon or just explore on the main roads with plenty of areas to camp. The only caveat is know that you CANNOT exit from the south through the army proving grounds, you can only enter/exit from AZ 95 or from I-10. The roads that head to the 8 are no longer passable or are blocked at the proving grounds.

There are a couple of roads out that connect to 95. South through the castle dome mtns.past the blimp / balloon site and the mine museum was open 2 weeks ago.

Thanks Guys for the info.

CJ8Rockcrawler, sometime back, over on Expedition Portal, do I remember you saying you were working on a set of rock-rails for the Dodge?? If so, what ever became of that project??

Thanks

Thanks Guys for the info.

CJ8Rockcrawler, sometime back, over on Expedition Portal, do I remember you saying you were working on a set of rock-rails for the Dodge?? If so, what ever became of that project??

Thanks

It is on the back burner... I still have a guy that will make them for me, but the group buy thing became a fiasco. People were calling him and asking if he would chrome them for him etc... weird!

It is on the back burner... I still have a guy that will make them for me, but the group buy thing became a fiasco. People were calling him and asking if he would chrome them for him etc... weird!

OK, I'd really be interested if you go forward..Thanks for the Info. You going to Expo, it's only 30 min from Tucson..

OK, I'd really be interested if you go forward..Thanks for the Info. You going to Expo, it's only 30 min from Tucson..

Yeah, I'll be there. I didn't do the Overland Experience Package, just a day pass. I'm not sure if I'm going down Saturday or Sunday yet though. You?

For that matter, is anyone else from WTW heading to the Overland Expo in Amado? Perhaps we should start another thread rather than clogging up this KOFA thread.

Yeah, I'll be there. I didn't do the Overland Experience Package, just a day pass. I'm not sure if I'm going down Saturday or Sunday yet though. You?

For that matter, is anyone else from WTW heading to the Overland Expo in Amado? Perhaps we should start another thread rather than clogging up this KOFA thread.

Yes, I'll be there, all 3 days...that's why I'll be stopping at Kofa on my way over...check first post in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom