Labor Day Weekend Trip

That Ted seems like a fun guy to go camping with. Not quite understanding the desire to push the big log around, but then I'm not from California, haha. Sounds like a fun weekend. Thanks for the report!

Guys

This brought back allot of memories of my tent days. As a side note, the first place I took my brand new FWC was here. I have been going there since I was in High School and untill a few years ago every year in October I came and camped here to watch the sun sink into the sea from a large dune on the edge of the cg ( a regular event-could not start a new year without seeing it at least once). I was there so many times one of the rangers tried to get me to become a camp host-said no. They once found a just born white shark pup on the beach---so you always had to worry about more thanjust the under tow there. We used to be allowed to gather fire wood and it was pretty rough camping back-lot's of racoons---- then-sometimes you might just stay on the beach especially in the fall and winter, when most campers were not using the area-sleep a night or two in the hippy drift log shelters-those were the days.. There was a regular group of campers that met here every new years too. The california coast trail goes through there and I used to walk it with the dog -in the old days they didn't really care about that stuff. Then they identified identified a rare plant and then something called the mountain beaver and closed a few more of the dune cg sites every year and they eventually put in a fence to cut that area off---ran it right through the camp i usually used in the Monteray Pines . The final hit was no more dogs on the trails through the dunes to the beach. I've heard maybe that ban has been lifted, that area is so neat, but since all the closeures I have not been back for about 5-6 years-got lot's of stories about that place. Remember a few years back when I was making all the noise about them closing this and Rock Port State Beaches-anyway they are still open-lot's of letters to the State to prove it. Ted I drank allot of beers there, sitting around a fire in the wind---the wind that seems to never stop---but I loved that place, like I said every year I went there except for my army time, I guess I'll have to go back---that is if the dog ban is off, that really sucked you had to walk the dog up and down the paved roads instead of on the beach-tell me its over with and maybe i'll be there again this October--real good pictures. Been going to rock port now, still remote enough to enjoy. anyway thanks for the TR.

Smoke

Smoke,
Sorry to tell you but the ban still exists and the trail from the bottom of the cg is still fenced. Pretty well grown over now so it is hard to tell there ever was a trail there. The driftwood shelters are still there, though. Funny you mentioned the wind that never stops. I had read this place is always cold and windy. Packed only heavy clothes. Sunny, barely a breeze at times, and warm. I was overheated the whole time. 74 degrees when we left Monday AM. Came home near Sac to 73 degrees and rain. It was warmer on the coast than in the central valley!

Hey Smoke, I saw that dogs are still prohibited. From my quick research it looks like two species are impacted by domestic pets -

point arena mountain beaver

snowy plover

It was great to hear of all your adventures at Manchester, especially in the days before our high population numbers that impact everything. I yearn for the old days too!

Thanks guys, guess I'll think about other places, but noted you did see the sun sink into the sea, --but did you sit on the high sand dune. What a great place that is, or was and am glad you enjoyed it. Maybe we could buy it and move to Manchester or Elk (where I would realllllly like to buy a house. Live in my memories and go up to Rock Port-still nice with dogs and all still accepted., anyway thanks enjoyed the TR----wonder if we could bring the dogs and sneeeeak in on New Year's! Know all about mountain beaver, but it sort of seems irrrronic that spend my life protecting these types of things and my favaorate place to hide is taken from me my by those very same types of things. Can't win them all I guess, but still lot's of neat places to go out there-thanks again!!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom