Ladder/Stair

Ambling1

Advanced Member
I wasn't happy with my current step stool setup so am giving this product a try. Xtend&Climb Folding Step Stool model WT3. Not field tested yet but very good first impressions. I needed a safer entry climb for the grandkids and guests into "The Magic Box".

Attachments

• DSCF1655 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF1655 (640x480).jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 596
Thanks for the tip on this. Ordered it from Amazon Wednesday night and it arrived today. It's perfect for my truck. I carry the Grandby with the tailgate down so positioned it with the support rail sitting on the bumper step. Sits right were it needs to be. Was looking for something better. Thank you. And yes it's built solidly.

I will second that it is solidly built. In the short time that I have had my camper, this is the forth system that I've tried for entry/exit. All were fine for entry, but bad on exit. On the last trip I lost my coffee tripping out of the camper one morning, totally unacceptable behavior, and blamed this on my modified step stool :oops:. Thus, the start of another internet search. You can also use this portable stair for adjusting the exterior window flaps, loading rooftop items, use around the house, ect. Thought about a mounted stair system but I like multi use items and a mounted system would have blocked the backup camera.

Pros- A true stair system Cons- Cost
Solid and strong 300 lb rating Heavy 22lbs
Portable for multiuse
Probably will not blow away in high winds

We use ours to load kayaks on the roof, which I would only do with a wide step, solid ladder.

If you have rear steps mounted, it's possible to mount the ladder on the back of your rig.

The red strap is through the top step, which is easy to understand. More complicated is how I have the ladder sitting on top of the lower step. I fabbed a piece of 1/4" aluminum into a tee shape. It slips through the step and locks the ladder into place. I screwed a few bumpers and added some heavy felt padding for chafe guards. It's been DV tested and in use for four years now.

I received the Little Giant version today. Very solid, but heavy. It has steel bracing components. It does match up well with the Hawk entry. I am going to think about a way to store it on the unused rear hitch with some sort of bracket or perhaps a 2"x2" square tube that I could attach to the ladder and slide it in to the receiver.

Thanks. The Little Giant 3 stepladder is going back to Amazon. Perfect in every way, except very heavy and awkward to stow. (It's not heavy in the sense that I have any trouble lifting it, it's "heavy in the sense that it's awkward to maneuver when holding it from one side and trying to place it in the back seat of my truck or in the camper) In my Hawk, with the front dinette option and interior shower, the Little Giant will not sit flush on the camper floor. It overlaps the useable floor space by a couple of inches. It has a lot of metal edges and would have to be wrapped carefully to store inside. Just too much work and bulky.

I just wanted to say that Xtend&Climb Folding step (which is the cheaper version of the Little Giant set ladder. It looks identical except for the rubber grip on the steps), is one of best mods yet. Yes, its heavier but it folds flat and sits in the aisle while en route (side dinette hawk). Its extremely sturdy, safe and perfect height for my truck.

After yesterdays trip to the emergency room I'm in the market for a new set of steps or ladder.
I have a 3 step ladder that I can use but it sits off to the side of the door since its tall.
All week I was getting in and out of the camper stepping on the tongue of my boat trailer (still connected to the truck).

All worked well until I got home.

Was unloading the camper using a 'one step' ladder (from you know who, but it wasn't there fault) and stepping out of the camper with loaded arms I stepped on the corner of the step and took a header and landed on my knee...hand and arms on gravel......

I'm glad my knee isn't broken but really swelled up, etc.

So I'm now looking for a new 3 step ladder like in the pic above.

(I was told by ATC to get into the camper head first and get out butt out, but I didn't go butt out this time....I will the next times.....

Attachments

• boatcamper28aug22.jpg
    boatcamper28aug22.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 74
we use the hitch receiver for the cooler rack and it has another receiver for the steps that adjust horizontally.TC Steps.jpeg

5outta6 said:
After yesterdays trip to the emergency room I'm in the market for a new set of steps or ladder.
I have a 3 step ladder that I can use but it sits off to the side of the door since its tall.
All week I was getting in and out of the camper stepping on the tongue of my boat trailer (still connected to the truck).

All worked well until I got home.

Was unloading the camper using a 'one step' ladder (from you know who, but it wasn't there fault) and stepping out of the camper with loaded arms I stepped on the corner of the step and took a header and landed on my knee...hand and arms on gravel......

I'm glad my knee isn't broken but really swelled up, etc.

So I'm now looking for a new 3 step ladder like in the pic above.

(I was told by ATC to get into the camper head first and get out butt out, but I didn't go butt out this time....I will the next times.....
' glad it wasn't more serious. I used to be on the Provan Tiger forum before deciding on a Hallmark popup slide-in camper upon discovering some Provans had typical RV quality issues with frame extension welds and iffy wiring. Along the way I found some former truck camper owners who'd suffered falls with worse outcomes than yours. Safely clambering up a trailer tongue and into a truck camper might require a small platform on the tongue or carrying and setting up small lightweight work platforms that would straddle the tongue and ballmount, or something. These are all considerations for anyone towing anything. Here's something with a lot of leg height adjustment:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MetalTech-30-75-in-x-11-75-in-Adjustable-Portable-Work-Platform-with-300-lb-Load-Capacity-E-PWP7101AL/206691416#overlay

Ouch! I hate to hear of injuries esp. when having "fun". I get it about ladders but decided against early on. I want to duck out of the pop-up TC to a fixed (to the truck+camper) set up, then compensate or any ground variance once out and up. We have a shelf outside (to allow empty hands) with a grab handle and the steps / rack (pictured in earlier post) in the towing receiver. If I pulled a trailer I would fab a platform as mentioned earlier. Extending fun into aging feebleness!

Since I seldom camp where the ground is level enough for a free standing step ladder, I too went with a receiver step. A fall at my age could be life changing.
1step.jpg
I extended the treads and added astroturf to give da beagle solid footing. The astroturf has an added benefit of collecting a lot of dirt.

Back
Top Bottom