Laguna San Ignacio

A WtW whale watching rally is a truly great idea. Unfortunately, I don't retire until autumn, so I look forward to a repeat in spring, 2013!

Hey Jay,
maybe we'll go with you, not sure. I am ready for it, just have to talk Anne into it. That's a great video.

Years ago when Michael was 10, he and I spent several days on Gonzaga Bay beach dragging these mono-filament tents off the beach. We packed the entire back of the old F250 and brought it back to the USA to dispose of. Sometimes we'd see s small amount of net in the sand and as we pulled and pulled it would uncover a huge net.

http://www.livescience.com/229-ocean-loaded-deadly-ghostnets.html

"The old F250." That was only 5 years ago. Talk her into it. Time is running out on Laguna San Ignacio.

Your on Bob. Pam's brother says he will try to go too. This really the more the merrier kind of trip. Maybe even get Sunny, TT and The Dawg to come along as well.

As I recall the best time to see the whales is from the middle of february through the middle of March but Gene Rubin will have a better take on the best dates.

Gene?

In the earlier months of the year, there are more whales present. Many just partaking in the MFM mating pleasures. The best trips I have had with the most whale to human contact has been in the later months. Last week of March, first week of April has been my best years. It is the baby whales that are most curious and come up to the boats. The older they are, the bolder they become and their mothers are less protective. In addition, beginning April gives a better chance of wildflower blooms.

BTW: Why is this thread not in "trip planning"?

Attachments

• Img0069.jpg
    Img0069.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 95
  • img088.jpg
    img088.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Photo 19 of 27.jpg
    Photo 19 of 27.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 104
Maybe even get Sunny, TT and The Dawg to come along as well.

I'm tuned in and standing by Jay...

Easter is April 8th so I'm guessing spring break is the week prior but I don't know. I think colleges break the middle 2 weeks of March but at my age it's hard to remember that far back. If we're going to do this I guess we should see when most of us can get away. In Bob's and my case that would be anytime that works for y'all works for us.

I'll be in Mulege in March but wouldn't mind going back for a Laguna San Ignacio visit. I just don't want to be there within a week either side of easter.

Sounds great. Mexico travel has worried me for a while but I love being there. I look forward to meeting up with the WTW crew. Anyone else heading down that way from the Chico CA area? Hopefully I will have my new old diesel 3/4 ton to replace my tacoma by then. I presume diesel is as available as gas there. I look forward to the trip.

There are two trips my wife will always say yes to. Whale watching and Sedona Az. If there were whales in Sedona we would move there. So that's a yes from us.

Mike

Mike I can tell you that there are whales in Sedona. Usually in spandex. We'll have fun in San Ignacio. Glad you're on board.

Remember Graham Macintosh, the Englishman that walked the whole peninsula and wrote about it in "Into a Desert Place"? He now lives in San Diego and frequently travels in Baja still. Here is a recent interview with him: link

Back
Top Bottom