Last Minute SoCal 4 day trip?

dasadab

Advanced Member
Any 4 day get a way suggestions for L.A. based couple with a Hawk on a 4x4 truck?

Death Valley or Mojave National Monument seem like nice choices, but the Southern Sierras--East or West side also seem worth exploring, unless the snow level it too low.

We were in the Mojave for a few days last month. It's awesome, but we would really like to try something else. Haven't been to DV for many years, but don't want to get too scorched--weather is reported to be in high 90s. So forget DV.

We would really like to get off the beaten path, so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

The eastern (hwy 395)Sierras is a great destination. Here's a slideshow of our trip there last summer:<br />
<br /><br />Plan was to visit most the lakes etc. up the 395 and take the Sonora pass to hwy 49, the gold rush area. The fires on the western sierra put a stop to that side so we cut our trip by a few days and went back down the 395.<br />First stop was the Lone Pine campground at the base of Mt. Whitney, what a view. We then explored the Alabama hills where most westerns were filmed including Django. We also checked out the Western Film museum in Lone pine.<br />After Breakfast at the Alabama Hills café in Lone Pine, we headed to the Manzanar Japanese internment camp one of the places the U.S. imprisoned Japanese citizens living in California. It’s a sad commentary of that time, made me wonder when Guantanamo Baywas going to become a Natl park. Had lunch at the Copper Top Smokehouse in Big Pine then headed up to the bristlecone forest which was over 10,000 feet. Since it was so hot we stayed at a hotel in Bishop.<br />The next day we went to the Laws Railroad museum which was very cool, even though it was so hot:&gt;) Then, on the way to Lake Sabrina we stopped at the Bishop Burger Barn, Yum. Lake Sabrina was about 9,000 feet and pretty low because L.A. was siphoning off some of the water:&gt;(<br />The next day we went to rock Creek Lake which was awesome. It was almost 10,000 feet and had the best homemade pie there. Then headed to Tamarak Lodge at Twin lakes in Mammoth lakes. Too early to check in so we had lunch at the Red’s Meadow Mule café past the Devils postpile. After lunch we hiked down to rainbow falls. Since I just got over a three week battle with Pneumonia, hiking at that altitude was probably a bad idea but I made it.<br />The next day we checked out all the lakes in mammoth. Checked into the June Lake campground. Did the June lake loop, had lunch at the Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining. Then checked out the Tufa Natl monument at lake Mono.<br />Next day we went to the Bodie ghost town then had lunch in Bridgeport at the burger barn. I had a really good Bison burger. At this point we decided to turn around because the haze from the fires was getting worse the farther north we went. Decided to spend one more night in June Lake and luckily got our same campsite.<br />The next day we took the eastern hwy 120 (beautiful drive) to Benton and stayed at the Benton hot springs campground, Each campsite has it’s own hot tub straight from the spring. We hiked up to the spring and saw where they installed the pipe. Then up the hill to the old graveyard that goes back to the 1800’s. Did I say the sign entering Benton stated pop 13 ½? We had lunch at the only café in Benton which was Indian owned and very good, so much so we had breakfast there the next day.<br />Then due to the fires we decided to head home.

I would suggest the Anza Borrego. Close to home so your not spending a whole day driving to get to your destination giving you more time out in the field to explore. Shouldn't be too hot quite yet.

Back
Top Bottom