Late August 2012

Roger

Hello again!

I'm looking forward to my weekend in Pinnacles NF next month, thank you so much for your input.
I've already planned out June of 2012 to Lassen Volcanic!

Now I need to find a nice place to take the soon to be 6 and 8 year old's for their pre- "return to school" camping trip. Being a "type A" I've already requested vacation time, but have no place to go! I've decided to avoid Yosemite in the summer from now on out (too many people, too noisy). Yosemite is from now on out a strictly November/December trip only.

Just a few "guidelines"
1. It has to be from about August 18-22 to start and complete the trip +- a day.
2. It has to be within 6 hours max of the San Francisco bay area.
3. A somewhat level campground for biking would be nice.
4. Maybe a stream or lake to swim/bathe in.
5. Somewhat kid friendly or kid explore friendly (NO OPEN MINES/PITS, bears OK!).
6. No 4WD but dusty washboard (4/40) high clearance, roads are OK.
7. ??

Thanks in advance!

Roger

The Redwoods, The Lost Coast and Big Sur come to mind. Or take PCH north and explore the campgrounds along the coast. Adventures abound!

Redwoods. Jedediah Smith Redwoods was a favorite of mine when I was 6 to 10 years old. Also, McKericher State Park for a kid with a bicycle is heaven.

Any of the camping areas along the coast,Fort Bragg north.Eureka area,the Samoa cook house,good place to take kids for breakfast. Patrick's Point camp ground.There are some nice dunes along the north coast area. Our kids likes camping there years ago and now that they are young adults they tell their friends about the fun times they had.

Enjoy,Frank

Has anyone been to the Lava Beds national monument?

http://www.nps.gov/labe/index.htm

Does anyone know the camping situation?

The coast sounds nice too, thanks for the ideas everyone!

Thanks

Roger

Natjwest visited Lava Beds last year. He posted a trip report
here.

We also have been there. It is a great place to take kids to explore. As I recall, the campground is a little hilly but not bad. I think the lower loop is smaller and a little flatter. I don't remember any possible swim areas around there.

Lava Beds too damn hot in August I reckon. Unless you spend most of the day in the caves. Stick to the coast. How about Mattole Beach?

Lava Beds too damn hot in August I reckon. Unless you spend most of the day in the caves. Stick to the coast. How about Mattole Beach?

Nat, you are right! I am fixing on Silver lake, next to June Lake, in August. I heard there is snow in Lassen right now (June 15, 2012). The coast was sold out so no go for August. We will probably visit the caves on this trip.

Thanks,

Roger

Has anyone been to the Lava Beds national monument?

http://www.nps.gov/labe/index.htm

Does anyone know the camping situation?

The coast sounds nice too, thanks for the ideas everyone!

Thanks

Roger

Roger since you are at the lava beds already, why don't you just head southeast out of the park a day or two early (especially if the kids get tired of looking at the rocks )and check out the campgrounds around medicine lake on the Modoc NF to the southwest of the monument. All of these places can be accessed from there and you can double back or go west or follow the forest gravel road east to 139, then home-just a thought, I've spent allot of time working out of the area over the years and after the cave, museum and crawling around in the rocks and trying to follow the battle (you can see real fast why it took so long and some treachery for Capt Jack to finely be captured-rough terrain and lots of caves) through the lava, before a nice day or two would be nice at a nice fs campground for a break-anyway just a thought!

Smoke

Smoke,
We just got back on the 21st so I missed your message. The kids decided they liked the caves better than the hikes to Boiling lake and hiking up the Cinder cone so you just gave me a bunch of great ideas for next year.
I am thinking one night in Lassen and then up to the Caves for a day or two then Medicine lake then back to Lassen Volcanic.

Thanks
Roger

Roger since you are at the lava beds already, why don't you just head southeast out of the park a day or two early (especially if the kids get tired of looking at the rocks )and check out the campgrounds around medicine lake on the Modoc NF to the southwest of the monument. All of these places can be accessed from there and you can double back or go west or follow the forest gravel road east to 139, then home-just a thought, I've spent allot of time working out of the area over the years and after the cave, museum and crawling around in the rocks and trying to follow the battle (you can see real fast why it took so long and some treachery for Capt Jack to finely be captured-rough terrain and lots of caves) through the lava, before a nice day or two would be nice at a nice fs campground for a break-anyway just a thought!

Smoke

Redwoods. Jedediah Smith Redwoods was a favorite of mine when I was 6 to 10 years old. Also, McKericher State Park for a kid with a bicycle is heaven.

Another vote here.

Smoke,
We just got back on the 21st so I missed your message. The kids decided they liked the caves better than the hikes to Boiling lake and hiking up the Cinder cone so you just gave me a bunch of great ideas for next year.
I am thinking one night in Lassen and then up to the Caves for a day or two then Medicine lake then back to Lassen Volcanic.

Thanks
Roger

Roger there is a cool little lake 5 miles from Medicine Lk. It's called Bulls eye Lk. You will most likely have it to your self,has a nice vault toilet. If you go to some of these NF places stop and get a free fire permit sometimes even with a camper you have to have one just a thought. We were at Lassen on the 14th not much snow but the Summit lake camp ground was due to open soon.
Good luck Frank

You didn't skip the lave tube just north of the park did you? Lassen is one of the first parks I can remember my dad taking me to. Hope they still do the ampitheater shows.

Craig,
We did not skip the subway cave! That was our first cave to make sure the kids would be OK in the dark. They still do an amphitheater show. They really involve the kids a lot, the ranger was a "old snag" and kids are selected to be bats, bacteria, fungus, etc of the "old snag."

Roger

You didn't skip the lave tube just north of the park did you? Lassen is one of the first parks I can remember my dad taking me to. Hope they still do the ampitheater shows.

Back
Top Bottom