LCD Digital Voltage Meter Install on HAWK

KILR0Y

Gone Traveling
Sorry, but I'm removing all my contributions to this site.

Going to steal your idea of using the switch on the 12v socket. I was going to put in a momentary contact button, like this better.

Nice install.

Bill

I like that the meter has 2 decimal places and backlit. Also you can adjust the back screw to match to a known meter. Be nice if it had a back for it, but for the price it gives great feedback of your battery voltage anytime. Run the truck and see what voltage is getting to the camper battery, etc.... I had a non lit one in my past camper wired to the pump switch that I paid a lot more for. You are going to like what you have.

You can put the spare in the truck cab for the truck battery......

I like it too. I even ordered one. I needed a cheap small project for the camper. The plug in one I'm using now is way too bright at night.

KILR0Y said:
Greetings,

I wanted to post about a small but useful item I've installed on my Hawk recently, and also give a short review on the product.

Here is what I purchased from Amazon for $7.39. It is obviously made overseas, but for the price I purchased 2 so I could have a backup if this one would ever go out. It has good reviews with mostly positive comments about the quality and longevity of this product. It seems like everything is made overseas nowadays as I've noticed when I tried to buy an American flag for our boat, and had a hard time finding one that was actually made in the USA. This item was an easy choice for me to make due to the cost and ease of install and operation for my specific needs.

I started by cutting out a template using card stock. I made it just a tad bit too small so I could use a wood file and open up the hole in small increments due to the trim being pretty slim. If you cut the hole a bit big, you'll see the edges because the edge trim won't fill the gap. After cutting the template I drew out my area needing removed on the counter, making sure there wasn't anything behind it that would cause me issue. I chose this location due to the proximity to the 12v receptacle using an on/off switch. My plan is to wire directly into those wires, and have the ability to turn the meter on and off as needed. Why run wires down to the battery when FWC has already done it for me? It only draws approximately 0.1 watt of juice and I'm not sure about amperage.

I drilled one hole in each corner big enough to fit a small wood saw blade, then I simply cut the wood out and filed out each corner carefully up to the lines I drew earlier.

Next I snapped off one of the plastic keepers on the meter so that I only had one keeper holding the meter in place. Both of them made the device just too tight and having one keeps the meter quite snug into the cutout. I then just wired the leads (red/black) to the positive and negative posts on the cigarette lighter so I could turn it on and off when we wanted. Whalah!

Nice clean install and i have used it for the past week (turned on the entire time) with zero issues. It's nice to have the display showing what the power is in the camper. It has a nice and bright screen, quite pleasing to the eye, and matching the Silver Spur quire well. My plan is to only use it when I'm in the camper so I can save the life of the meter. Zero problems thus far, and I'm seeing on the Amazon reviews that guys are using this to monitor their solar as well. Obviously there are other units out there with more capabilities, but this works well when they want cheap and simple monitoring capabilities. Personally, I'm a Honda EU1000 genny guy when I have long dry camping needs that requires additional power, so no solar in this Hawk (although it's pre-wired).

Here are a couple of pictures. Note the position of the switch on the power receptacle when the unit is on and off.

gallery_2969_423_10641.jpg

And one with it powered on:

gallery_2969_423_31386.jpg

Let me know what you all think, and if I can send any more information about the unit. I hope it will help others on here who may have similar needs for a really low cost.

[SIZE=10pt]..............[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]\|||/[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]..........................[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]..............[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt](@@)[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt].........................[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]_____ooO_( )_Ooo___________________________
_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|__|
___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____|
_____|_KILROY_WAS_HERE_|____|_____|____|
[/SIZE]
I won't be taking deliver until sometime in July, but I'm interested this voltage meter also. I'm not mechanically inclinded, so I would appreciate more information on the installation. I think I get the part of the cutting of the cabinet, but I need the steps on the wiring. Did you have to remove the screws on the 12-volt plate to access the back. and how did you attach the wires? I would like to be able to do some of these things myself. Thanks,

John

Just looked at Amazon and the price for this right now is $1.72! Get em while they're hot!!!

Cool -- so I just bought one, too. :)

Even though my beloved Watts Up meter (inline between my solar charge controller and the battery bank) displays the voltage of the battery bank (and a whole lot more), it's not backlit...and I like the idea of an independent second opinion on the voltage, one that isn't inline with the power being fed to the battery bank.

Gave up looking for my DATEL meter I took off my last motorcycle, put it somewhere safe and can't find it. So I just ordered one of the Amazon meters. Sure shows a long delivery.

Bill

Quick update. I order 1 from Amazon for $1.72 which ended up being $5.39 including shipping. It just arrived with a bonus. They sent me 2.

I got my meter while I was gone to Big Sur. Installed today. Put laminated % of change sheet under my Knob to no where.

gallery_1903_734_15671.jpg

Btw, I ordered one and never received it. Trying again. Not something I'll contact the BBB over :)

Sent for mine and will have it Wednesday. I was going to install it in the battery box area next to my solar panel controller as I am interested in how much is coming in through the panel to my batteries (2 marine batteries). And was thinking of the install as shown by Kilroy and Billharr on the cabinet to see what the real time battery supply is (I like that % chart too...where'd that come from?)
Any additional advice appreciated

KILR0Y said:
Greetings,

I wanted to post about a small but useful item I've installed on my Hawk recently, and also give a short review on the product.

Here is what I purchased from Amazon for $7.39. It is obviously made overseas, but for the price I purchased 2 so I could have a backup if this one would ever go out. It has good reviews with mostly positive comments about the quality and longevity of this product. It seems like everything is made overseas nowadays as I've noticed when I tried to buy an American flag for our boat, and had a hard time finding one that was actually made in the USA. This item was an easy choice for me to make due to the cost and ease of install and operation for my specific needs.

I started by cutting out a template using card stock. I made it just a tad bit too small so I could use a wood file and open up the hole in small increments due to the trim being pretty slim. If you cut the hole a bit big, you'll see the edges because the edge trim won't fill the gap. After cutting the template I drew out my area needing removed on the counter, making sure there wasn't anything behind it that would cause me issue. I chose this location due to the proximity to the 12v receptacle using an on/off switch. My plan is to wire directly into those wires, and have the ability to turn the meter on and off as needed. Why run wires down to the battery when FWC has already done it for me? It only draws approximately 0.1 watt of juice and I'm not sure about amperage.

I drilled one hole in each corner big enough to fit a small wood saw blade, then I simply cut the wood out and filed out each corner carefully up to the lines I drew earlier.

Next I snapped off one of the plastic keepers on the meter so that I only had one keeper holding the meter in place. Both of them made the device just too tight and having one keeps the meter quite snug into the cutout. I then just wired the leads (red/black) to the positive and negative posts on the cigarette lighter so I could turn it on and off when we wanted. Whalah!

Nice clean install and i have used it for the past week (turned on the entire time) with zero issues. It's nice to have the display showing what the power is in the camper. It has a nice and bright screen, quite pleasing to the eye, and matching the Silver Spur quire well. My plan is to only use it when I'm in the camper so I can save the life of the meter. Zero problems thus far, and I'm seeing on the Amazon reviews that guys are using this to monitor their solar as well. Obviously there are other units out there with more capabilities, but this works well when they want cheap and simple monitoring capabilities. Personally, I'm a Honda EU1000 genny guy when I have long dry camping needs that requires additional power, so no solar in this Hawk (although it's pre-wired).

Here are a couple of pictures. Note the position of the switch on the power receptacle when the unit is on and off.

gallery_2969_423_10641.jpg

And one with it powered on:

gallery_2969_423_31386.jpg

Added this photo (weeks later) so you can see how simple it is to jump over to the socket:

gallery_2969_423_1883730.jpg

Let me know what you all think, and if I can send any more information about the unit. I hope it will help others on here who may have similar needs for a really low cost.

These photos inspired me to put one just like it in the Eagle. I started cutting the hole but got distracted by having to walk the dog! I should have it installed tomorrow. The photos and description gave me the courage to go ahead with it. It is a great idea to have it able to turn off at the switch and save juice and not have the light on at night. Thanks again....mayhaps I'll post mine if it looks okay!

Back
Top Bottom