Leak chasing...

Riverrunner

Where to look for a leak over the bed? I've redone all of the roof screws with 3m 4000 and even foam filled the front corners as recommend in some old posts. I'm getting ready for a trip and when I popped the top, I found this...

p427674074-4.jpg

p54199982-4.jpg

When I bought the camper I chased a small leak in the corner of the diver side but now it seems to have grown despite my attempted fix. The camper is on the truck outside parked level and the last couple of weeks have been really wet. The passenger side of the lining is wet and the bedding was wet although it wasn't enough to get the cushions wet. Thankfully the weather is decent and will simply let it dry out since I don't have any other choice.

Could water be getting through the screws in the side of the roof? That would seem unlikely but I don't understand where else it would come from. You can see in the first photo where the strips of wood is moldy and wet. Man I love RV's!

Any pointers would be appreciated.

I removed the screws holding the aluminum strip holding the bottom of the canvas and installed the strip of "aluminum" friendly compound and re-assembled. Takes a few beers but it's an easy job.

Terry from 4WC suggests:

#1 make sure that you have a sealer tape behind the trim that goes around the top.
#2 make sure that the screws in the roof are secure and tight. They typically are a #8X3/4'. Replace them with a #10X3/4'. Do not over tighten them and put a blob over the screw head once they are all in and tight.
#3 check the seal around the roof vent. Sometimes it will dry out and need to be resealed. While you are at it, check the vent lid and the seal to make sure the lid closes tight and water proof.
#4 with the top in the open position, go inside and check to see if you see any daylight through the liner.
#5 after the trim around the roof it on and well-sealed, put a bead of silicone around the top of the trim where the roof metal and the trim meet.
#6 take your time and go over it completely. Sometimes the smallest thing can cause a leak so be patient. When all done with the sealing, and allowing it time to set, water test it with a garden hose and have someone inside to check and see if you have any leaks and where they are coming from. You may want to water test it first to be able to pinpoint the problem.

Is this happening with the roof down? Could the moisture be getting in not from the roof, but from lower down? Just a thought.

I had leaks in the same area and elsewhere around the canvas. Re-sealing the joint all the way around the rim of the roof cleared up the leaks instantly (where the aluminum trim joins the roof aluminum sheet). I found dirt and algae behind the old caulking (which was silicone) most of the way around. Any water getting into that joint goes straight into the camper because the canvas there is lapped over the roof sheet. I used Dicor non-sag lap joint sealant from an RV store, but next time I would use 3M 4200 if I could find it locally in caulking tubes (you can order it on line). Dicor sticks well but it makes lots of strings when you tool it and pull off the masking tape. The 3M stuff is easier to work with, sticks to everything, and stays nice and white over time too. Whatever you use, don't use silicone. It sticks well to aluminum initially but not over time in my experience.

Then I removed all of the screws around the roof trim because they were rusty and looked un-sealed. I replaced them all with slightly fatter #10 coated stainless steel screws (about $25/100 screws at Fastenal) with a dab of 3M in each hole. I think sealing the joint around the edge did most of the fix though.

Lastly I had another leak into a wall at a rear corner. I pulled off the roof latch where it connects to the main camper wall and found that there was absolutely nothing sealing the screw holes there. Lots of dirt had collected behind it, indicating that water could get in there, too. 3M did the trick.

We had some good downpours here the last few weeks and I'm happy to say that no water got in anywhere that I could find. The camper was both parked and driven in the rain. The roof situation is certainly 100% better than before.

Thanks for replys. At least now I have a better idea of what I need to do and where to look.

Bill the roof was down.

Sage - I don't think it's coming in through the windows. The canvas wasn't wet other than in the corners.

I did notice since I pulled the thermal pack back there are a couple of small pinholes in the corner of the canvas. How should I fix that? Patching or ???

Thankfully the weather is nice since I don't have time to do anything to it right now and I'm leaving tomorrow.

I think I would use the same product that they patch PVC boats it is called Aqua Seal.

While aqua seal will work as mentioned, the best sealant for PVC/urethane fabric is a product called seam seal. Seam seal was bought out by Coleman and is now getting hard to find, I think it is being phased out. Be sure to clean with the correct solvent before apply either product and it helps if you can get the repair area flat so the sealant doesn't run. Neither product is UV stable so you will have to glue a patch over the repair if you want longevity. PVC boat fabric will bond very well to the FWC fabric if you use PVC boat repair glue. Use a circle patch or if you use a square patch radius the corner to prevent lifting of the corners. Trace the patch and tape off the area, any extra glue will turn rust brown after a few days in the sun. I service Zodiac and Achilles boats here in Texas so if you have any questions please reply back. You can Google our website at Triad Marine.com

Thanks Beach. Good info!

Super Doody - I've already done the roof screws so it's probably the side trim. The seam is looking a little haggard so I'll get a tube of 4200 and go to town on it along with plugging the pin holes in the canvas.

condensation my friend. been there done that. with the roof down and the foamy in place no air movement. its a big sandwich. happen to me even when my unit was in the garage over the winter. also my buddy with a tc650 which was under cover (shed) mentioned it to him and no more problems either. move the foamy. of course this is assuming you have covered the out side, like i did and found nothing. one thing i hate is water leaks, it is the worse thing to fix. will add the only leak i have now and it is very small but still, is when traveling, water sneaks in thru the front window's sometimes. i am thinking that i do not have the roof locked down as tight as i should. still adjusting it. found this out when camping as there is no leaks when popped up. the bend in the velcro i am thinking.

Thanks griz. Interesting and I can understand a little bit of condensation but the bag was soaked as water was running out of the liner. That said, when I got home from the trip I popped it up and the next day we had 1/2" of rain... No water inside! so maybe that is the issue. Still going seal the seam today and R&R the side screws. I'll start removing the bedding from now on as well.

Problem is where we live. So when are we moving south, where it does not rain......
good luck on the water. that is one thing that drives me to drink. have fun........

willb122 said:
Hey all,

I've recently noticed a leak coming in through my LED lights. Anybody have this issue before?
Where it comes from the roof, and where it enters are usually unrelated. As a roofing contractor, we chase leaks all the time. The water typically comes in from some penetration in the roof (screws? Vent? Rack ?) and then to get into the camper it needs a penetration in the headliner.. lights..

Spend a lot of time looking at the roof and chances are you will find something not sealed well anymore.. Good luck!

I developed an intermittent leak on my 2005 Hawk when driving in the rain. Tracked it down to the front weather seal, where the top and lower section meet. The hollow section of the seal had collapsed over time from being compressed and rain was being driven up into and past the seal. I painstakingly pulled a piece of small dia. vacuum line(lubed with copious amounts of dawn soap) into hollow section to restore it's shape, which solved the problem. For moisture build up while sitting closed up, I used damp rid for a couple years to absorb moisture to prevent the mildew problem. Last year I switched to a small fan aimed up into the over cab area. Fan does just an excellent job and doesn't cost as much as replacing the damp rid every other week.

willb122 said:
Hey all,

I've recently noticed a leak coming in through my LED lights. Anybody have this issue before?
Actually, yes.

In my case the light was directly under the Yakima track, which (if you have them you know this) will hold water inside the track. And there was just one screw that was a little light on sealant, directly above the light fixture. Remove, reseal, replace. Problem solved - no more leaks in the subsequent four years.

I hope your solution turns out to be so easy.

willb122 said:
Hey all,

As many of us can relate, I've been there!

BBZ is correct about the fact that though the water is entering your living area at the LED light, it may be getting through the roof in a different spot!

Having chased leaks down before, my plan would be to set aside a day, and clean and seal all roof areas and seams. Take your time, and do a thorough job. You'll be glad you did!

2trout

griz said:
Problem is where we live. So when are we moving south, where it does not rain......
good luck on the water. that is one thing that drives me to drink. have fun........
Griz, That is a problem where you live. RAIN. Good on you for sticking it out.....living there that is. Been there many times and though summer can be ok.......living in Vegas is sooo much better.

Back
Top Bottom