Leave camper jacks at home ?

gullrock

Question for experienced campers .

I purchased my first FWC last year , 07 Hawk , 695lbs empty , sitting on my half ton Dodge Ram 4by4 .

Im doing my first two week trip soon and wondering if its wise to leave camper jacks at home ? I wont be off roading or bushing. Driving to one spot and sitting.

I dont have access to a scale but four mech Rico Titan jacks 80-90lbs ?

TIA

gullrock said:

I purchased my first FWC last year , 07 Hawk , 695lbs empty , sitting on my half ton Dodge Ram 4by4 .

Im doing my first two week trip soon and wondering if its wise to leave camper jacks at home ? I wont be off roading or bushing. Driving to one spot and sitting.

TIA
Leave them at home. If you back into something or someone backs into you, good chance there will be significant frame damage. Not worth the risk jd

gullrock said:
...leave camper jacks at home ? ...
I do. My camper is on my truck 99% of the time -- years go by for me without need for jacks. They're no need for jacks except for dismounting the camper.

longhorn1 said:
...If you back into something or someone backs into you, good chance there will be significant frame damage...
I did. Long ago, back before I removed the jacks, I was so excited to leave home on a camping trip that I backed out of my parking spot next to the driveway and into a pine tree -- hit on the right rear jack...bent it. It's still cock-eyed.

I agree with Longhorn1: Leave them at home unless you plan to take the camper off the truck at your destination.

Driving around with those things sticking down is an accident waiting to happen.

- Bernard

I was one of the "Last Ones " who left them on but after almost 12 years I took them off. Why? I kept thinking I would find that perfect place to hide, drop the camper, and be able to head to town, go places fishing, ect and come back to my hidaway. Never did, seems like my place in Susanville has all,that, pus my house and friends and like Mark BC have never had the interest or need in taking the taking the dang camper off. Although I miss hanging things on them in camp :giggle:! Yep take them off,especially if you plan to leave the camper on all the time.

Smoke

No damage is irreparable but ripping out a camper jack comes close. Just read the stupid things I've done thread and say "it could never happen to me".

We leave ours at home. Hauled them to Baja once (in our trailer, not on the camper) and we did take the camper off the truck, but it was a real pain getting it back on straight in the sand.

Like others, we leave ours at home. The only reason would be as others implied. If you were going to go somewhere where you need to drive somewhere and you are going to be there for a while (month?) you might want to take the camper off but generally, it's not worth the hassle and having them hanging off the camper (as others stated) could cause issues (and the weight concerns).

I leave them at home. Mostly due to the fact the floor must be supported when the camper is off the truck and you want to enter it. I don't want to tote a support platform so need to carry the jacks.

Well then its unanimous . Jacks will be staying home . Thanks for the great advice everyone .

gullrock said:

TIA

Like the others who have responded; leave them off...I had my '16 Hawk installed in our '05 Tundra AC 4x4 SR5 using the jacks of the dealer which were then removed...I bought jacks but they have never come out of the boxes...same, same too much chance for an impact on jack [we are off 'roaders'] with really bad consequences for the Hawk; too much weight, and, with only about 1/2" clearance on either side backing under the Hawk while putting it in the Tundra I knew that I did not want to repeat that nerve racking experience..

"1,695 lbs" ...correct? Love our Tundra/Hawk combo and have no doubt you will have a ball with yours..

Phil

Wallowa ,

The original FWC manufacture sticker on back of 07 Hawk lists the dry weight at 695 lbs .

However this unit has many of the available options and when loaded down with 20 gallons water , two solar panels , 60lb boat and other personal gear I know Im over loaded but the 1500 Ram handles it ok . It has 4 corner air suspension which doesn`t increase load capacity but does helps with handling and the truck still sits level .

Enjoy.

MountainSufi said:
Plus, jacks hanging off the sides look hillbilly-ish and downright ugly.
Vic Harder said:
Hillbilly- ish... gosh, darn it all.. I googled that and wasted more time then it wahr worth! :oops:
MarkBC said:
They prefer to be called "sons of the soil". (according to Dr. HIbbert) [Mods, forgive me for this off-topic remark]
Ahem... we are referred to as “William from the Mountains”

Mark, you are forgiven :p

Back
Top Bottom