Leaving camper on for shop work?

mdtundra

Taking my truck to my local mechanic tomorrow to have new tires/airbags put on, they said they could work on it with the camper on, do you guys typically take it off?

Depends on the shop!

While on a several month road trip, I had a clutch replaced at a dealership in Southern California. They had no issue and they put the entire truck/camper on the lift.

My dealership closer to home in Oregon won’t touch anything with a camper in the back.

I’m comfortable leaving it together if the shop says it’s ok. I think they know what their vehicle lifts can and can’t do and what their liability might be if there were an incident.

For tires and bags, they might not even need a vehicle lift, maybe just use jacks and stands or ramps.

Depends on the shop!

Todgru.

Depends on the shop!

While on a several month road trip, I had a clutch replaced at a dealership in Southern California. They had no issue and they put the entire truck/camper on the lift.

My dealership closer to home in Oregon won’t touch anything with a camper in the back.

I’m comfortable leaving it together if the shop says it’s ok. I think they know what their vehicle lifts can and can’t do and what their liability might be if there were an incident.

For tires and bags, they might not even need a vehicle lift, maybe just use jacks and stands or ramps.

Depends on the shop!

Todgru.
Thanks for the input! I’ve asked em twice and they said it’s no problem, curious about other peoples experiences

Most of us leave the camper on. That said, one of the members recently reported their truck (with camper on) slipped off of the dealer’s lift. It’s a judgement call…

Dealerships seem to be the worst. No one else ever says a thing. One shop did ask me how much my truck weighs (they work mostly on Jeeps).

A while ago I ordered 4 new tires for my truck and when I went to have them installed the shop wouldn’t install them with the camper on. It was a corporate owned shop with rules the local outfit had to follow, no exceptions, no floor jack options and no install. Fortunately we agreed that I didn’t have to buy the tires I ordered. I found another shop that said no problem.

That's interesting. I use America's Tire and they always use floor jacks. Online it said we can only put on stock size tires but in person they didn't have any problem doing any size I wanted.

My local America's Tire has no problems installing, rotating and repairing tires with the Hawk on the Super Duty. And yes they will sell you any size you want.

Back
Top Bottom