LED bulbs vs. Out of the box LED lights

ski3pin said:
There's a great question. What are the options with these fixtures to go to LED?
x2
I went with the fluorescent as a compromise between incandescent and LED. I didn't like the price or harsh blue light of the FWC LED and the power use of the incandescent. I wonder where the fluorescent falls as far as power usage? I thought it was a lot less than incandescent?

shanz3n5 said:
anyone find LEDs for the fluorescent, double ended two prong, replacement?
The fluorescent runs on ballast, I think you could just pull the unit find the 12v leads and wire in a square LED.
This is what I use with an adaptor. I have double side tape holding it in place.

diy_48_2.jpg

The old LED's were efficient, but the color was awful. Some newer LED's, such as the 5050's, have 3 chips per "light" and the color can vary. The light is so good I have to wonder if fluorescent bulbs will survive. Camper lights need to evolve and take advantage of the features of LED's. It seems once LED's become affordable (cheap), they could be built into the ceiling and bathe the camper in light. The light above has 48 modules. Spread them out and they could light a larger area with more consistent light...but we're not there yet.

rotti said:
x2
I went with the fluorescent as a compromise between incandescent and LED. I didn't like the price or harsh blue light of the FWC LED and the power use of the incandescent. I wonder where the fluorescent falls as far as power usage? I thought it was a lot less than incandescent?
I checked my fluorescents and they draw 2 1/4 A each.

Couple of pics of the LED's at night.

p352507560-4.jpg

p175411821-4.jpg

Light wasn't harsh or too bright to me. Seemed like there were a perfect replacement. Need to get one for the porch light next.

Re: fluorescent - 2.25A seems like a lot compared to LED and not better than incandescent, although likely more light per Amp.

Riverrunner - The light color/temperature looks very good. Is this picture representative of the actual light color inside your camper?

Espresso said:
Riverrunner - The light color/temperature looks very good. Is this picture representative of the actual light color inside your camper?
I would say yes. The led was a "warm" color which I wanted to get as close to OE as possible. I think it's great and am very happy with them.

The LEDs I used were the base type,I think 36 "dots".The light from them seems about like Riverrunners.
I purchased 4 LEDs and have 2 in each light fixture. Most of the time we only use one LED to read by and that seems like enough.
I went from stock bulbs to the LEDs.
After thought should have gotten one for the outside.Next time I pass the camper world by me I will stop in.Not worth it to order one the shipping would be half the LED price.
Thanks for the pictures.
Frank

Yeah mine are the 36 dots. I got 5...got a spare, and one is plenty for us too. The outside was an afterthought and then I noticed the porch light was sealed with silicone so I'll need to get it there one of these days. GF is a "prime" member so shipping is free. :D

Espresso said:
HQRP 2-Pack BA15s Bayonet Base 18 LEDs SMD 5050 LED Bulb Natural White for #1141 #1156 Jamboree Searcher RV Interior Porch Light Replac. + UV Tester
These cast a much whiter, natural light. They also are very bright and will do a good job of lighting the interior of the camper. I also have one in the porch light and I replaced the amber lens with a clear lens.
Hey thanks for the info. I've just ordered the bulbs. Especially psyched as I don't have the second battery in my camper and now I can worry less about running it down.

Back
Top Bottom