LED Camp Lights

jkidd

Advanced Member
Started working on some LED camp lights to use around camp when setting up camp. Here's what I came up with. A plate to bolt to the jack bracket with a 1 inch ram ball. A plate to mount 2 18 watt LED lights. It can be removed and store when not needed. They can be mounted on a tripod and moved anywhere in the camp. They can be connect to the house battery or use a Goal zero Yeti 400 for portability. They use 36 watts or 2.3 amps and I can disconnect 1 of them to reduce the power consumption to half. They put out 1200 lumens for each light.

img_163407_0_b1d951621488e49c2de7c25592020da0.jpg

img_163407_2_b540e73b813a8ec8f9b28bc341605fa7.jpg

Looks stout and I like the use of the jack attachment plate. Those could be bug magnets. If you could raise them attached to a pole attached to the jack plate that would keep the bugs way up high.

Your probably right they will draw bugs. I have a telescopic pole that I use for cameras I guess I could use that if I made a rod holder for the jack mount.

jkidd said:
Your probably right they will draw bugs. I have a telescopic pole that I use for cameras I guess I could use that if I made a rod holder for the jack mount.
Just bring your pet bats with you and they'll gobble up the pests! Looks like a smart set up...

jkidd said:
Started working on some LED camp lights to use around camp when setting up camp. Here's what I came up with. A plate to bolt to the jack bracket with a 1 inch ram ball. A plate to mount 2 18 watt LED lights. It can be removed and store when not needed. They can be mounted on a tripod and moved anywhere in the camp. They can be connect to the house battery or use a Goal zero Yeti 400 for portability. They use 36 watts or 2.3 amps and I can disconnect 1 of them to reduce the power consumption to half. They put out 1200 lumens for each light.

img_163998_4_b1d951621488e49c2de7c25592020da0.jpg

img_163998_6_b540e73b813a8ec8f9b28bc341605fa7.jpg
Interesting idea. While I try and minimize my use of light at camp (big change from my younger days, I must be getting old) there are times while you have the grill going that some directed light would be very helpful. Lanterns flashlights and headlamps aren't always very effective. Thinking specifically of my trip when we have two of these going after dark.

I'm gonna take what is probably an unpopular position here for a minute....if you are cooking after sundown in the summer and have your campsite lit up like a prison courtyard you are not being a "good camper" to your neighbors. If you are out in the middle of nowhere and have no neighbors and like light pollution, no problemo....

Personally I think a campfire and maybe a low-wattage back door step light and your trusty small flashlight are all you need to enjoy the stars at night. I'm old-school and have a two-mantle Coleman lantern for playing dominos or games after dinner or to clean up before sitting by the fire at might. I equate a lit up campsite like I do Las Vegas and I don't personally like loud music played at night either.

Getting out means trying to leave the noise, the hustle and bustle behind us.

Sorry if this offends you guys but that's just my two cents on the subject of massive lighting systems in campgrounds....

Back
Top Bottom