LED interior lights vs incandescent and Fluorescent

leadsled9

Contributors
I opted for the Fluorescent lights rather than the standard incandescent lights.

I am considering switching to LED's since they use less energy to run.

For those of you that switched.....are you happy with the LED's?

What brand/model number did you use?

Are they as bright (or brighter) than the Fluorescent lights from the factory?

The last time I looked, they still didn't put out the same quantity or have the same diffusion to justify the price differential (unless you're spending weeks offroad). Curious to see if thats changed yet.

Hi Leadsled,

I switched to the LEDS. Got them from FWC cause I did not have time nor patience to look around for replacements elsewhere. A little spendy, but easy!!

I think the light is fine for my needs. When I have one on, it does not even register that it is pulling any juice from the battery....

Way better than the flourescents... (IMHO)

I'm going to go outside and check what the meter says with both lights on.... (Remember, I ran all my loads thru my controller....)

With both lights on the meter registers .42 amps an hour.

Hope this helps

I'm very happy with the LED lights. I replaced two of the four incandescents in my Eagle with LEDs, and I find I never use the incandescents at all now.

I use these from http://www.superbrightleds.com (in the RV and marine category):

1156-PCB-xWHP9: White 9HP-LED 1156 PCB Lamp

Pricey, but worth it. I'm not sure about the form factor of the fluorescent fixtures, so don't know if these would be best for you.

I use all warm LED's. The light is not much different than incandescent and as I use a Wave 3 (no electrical) for heat, and an ice box for cooling, the only need I have for 12 volts is my lighting. The draw is so low, I use an 18 amp/hr battery which is only a few pounds and the size of a cigar box. With this little battery and all seven of my lights on (I have 1 porch and two side lights) I would have 36 hours of light!

I opted for the Fluorescent lights rather than the standard incandescent lights.

I am considering switching to LED's since they use less energy to run.

For those of you that switched.....are you happy with the LED's?

What brand/model number did you use?

Are they as bright (or brighter) than the Fluorescent lights from the factory?

One of the first changes i made was to go with the LEDs. Marty at ATC recommended these over fluorescents,which he could have sold me but thats not how they operate.I just searched on line and found a place located in Seattle.They cost about $10 each.There are different" base" types mine are the kind with two little tabs on the base of the bulb.They give off nice bright light and little worry about heat on the folding sides.I'll have to search some threads to find the # for the lights I have.

Hope this helps

Frank

It seems that when I started to answer you on this I was the only one but I had to take a phone call and didn't post for a while,so more posts came through.Superbrights.com is where I bought mine from also.The 1156 # sounds right.

One of the first changes i made was to go with the LEDs. Marty at ATC recommended these over fluorescents,which he could have sold me but thats not how they operate.I just searched on line and found a place located in Seattle.They cost about $10 each.There are different" base" types mine are the kind with two little tabs on the base of the bulb.They give off nice bright light and little worry about heat on the folding sides.I'll have to search some threads to find the # for the lights I have.

Hope this helps

Frank

It seems that when I started to answer you on this I was the only one but I had to take a phone call and didn't post for a while,so more posts came through.Superbrights.com is where I bought mine from also.The 1156 # sounds right.

So were you mistaken on the Seattle part before then (superbrightleds looks like its in Missouri)? Just curious if there is a local place I should check out. Sounds like most folks are just retrofitting incandescent fixtures with LED bulbs that have the same connection then? Just wondering what best to eye up when starting from scratch.

This link should be an ebay search of BA15S bayonet LED's that fit your current fixtures and are "warm" light.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=led+ba15s+warm&_sacat=0&_odkw=led+ba15s&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Sounds like most folks are just retrofitting incandescent fixtures with LED bulbs that have the same connection then? Just wondering what best to eye up when starting from scratch.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm in the same boat as pods8.....sort of starting from scratch.....without a light fixture that can be easily retrofitted with just an LED bulb.

So were you mistaken on the Seattle part before then (superbrightleds looks like its in Missouri)? Just curious if there is a local place I should check out. Sounds like most folks are just retrofitting incandescent fixtures with LED bulbs that have the same connection then? Just wondering what best to eye up when starting from scratch.

I thought that the postmark was from Seattle.Who knows with ancientness setting in.Anyway I enjoy the light they give off and little power usage.If you have incandecsent fixtures it's a snap,if you have florescences that I think would mean a fixture change.

Frank

I will get pics of mine today. Had to work the last few days...

I got the whole fixture. I took the lights that came with camper down, cut the wires, and connected the wires from the LED's and screwed them in the same place. They are a bit smaller than the fixtures that were there, but it works.

I called Terry at FWC and had him send me the LED lights they use, for a hefty fee (hahahaha) 3 days later they were at my door...

What would I use for a rear light on the camper???

I would like to put one up.

What would I use for a rear light on the camper???

I would like to put one up.

Do you already have a porch light there or are you talking about wanting to add something where there is currently nothing? Porch or spot light?

If you've got a porch light and just want to go LED I'd think switching the bulk would be the easiest there then you don't have to worry about getting a new housing wired up and sealed from the elements.

here are a few pictures. One is from the light over the sink. I centered that one. The other is over the couch, close to the bed. I did not center that!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/crookbull/2011_01_24?feat=directlink

Hope that works....

Pods8: I do have a porch lite. I might not mess with it... I'll have to see if I really need something...

Thanks for the pics randygirl. What brand are those lights? How much did FWC charge for them?

They look great.

Did you have incandescent lights before or fluorescent?

One more question....are they as bright or brighter than the lights you had before?

Thanks for the pics randygirl. What brand are those lights? How much did FWC charge for them?

They look great.

Did you have incandescent lights before or fluorescent?

One more question....are they as bright or brighter than the lights you had before?

Had the flourescent lights originally.

No idea the brand of lights. FWC charged an arm and a leg (around $150) for both. But, I work quite a bit and did not have the time nor patience to deal with looking for replacement bulbs. or me, it was worth the money. I saved money in other areas, ya know....

They are about as bright (I think), but they are smaller fixtures, so the light doesn't cover as much area. Not much of an issue to me.

That looks like ones offered by Kamper II, I've seen them a few places, I can't recall the best place off the top of my head, I need to start logging some of this stuff but here are a couple:

$53 at PPL http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-lights/led-ceiling-light.htm
$43 at this place http://tweetys.com/double-dome-white-led-surface-mount-interior-light-kit.aspx

randygirl, I'd definitely be interested in hearing your longer term thoughts as I was eyeing those up as well.

I agree with highz 100% for people who have the stock FWC 2-bulb incandescent fixtures. I bought from superbrights.com, too.

I bought the warm white version (1156-PCB-WWHP9) instead of the cool white version (1156-PCB-CWHP9). They are just as bright and warm to me as the stock incandescents and, boy do they draw a lot less power. I never worry about how long I have them turned on.

The base of the lights screw right into the stock socket and the LED array can either just rest on the stock diffuser or you can use a bit of velcro on the back to hold it up. They run cool so you never have to worry about melting the diffuser or the camper flexible siding should you lower the top with the lights accidentally left on.

Yes they cost $21.95 but you don't have to replace both incandescent bulbs in each fixture. Get just one LED and put it on the side of the fixture that lights with the first switch click and leave an incandescent in the other side to light on those rare occasions when you need both sides burning.

I replaced my bulbs with LEDs like HighZ's. Think they might be the same ones. But out of 4 bulbs, two are white and two are red LEDs. I put the red ones on the side where you can leave just one bulb on, so you can use just red. It's really nice at night when you need to get up for some reason and want to see, but not blind everyone. We'll even leave a red one on when outside by the fire and the dog is sleeping on the couch- you go to get something and don't have to ruin your night vision. We just leave it on for hours and hours- it seems to runs on magic, not amps.

Back
Top Bottom