LED Porch light

Desert Rancher

Contributors
What is the recommended LED porch light? Just a nice white (not blinding) light to light the area.

A search turns up so much, it's hard to decide. Don't want to start a new discussion, just a good recommendation.

Thanks all,

~DR

DR:
Have you seen this thread?:
Exterior Led

Lot's of suggestions/recommendations in there. Or are you asking for a different kind of recommendation?

Hi Mark,

I think am am trying to be a bit lazy and hoping someone will say-"get this one, it's perfect"....

(If I start trying to figure lumens, color, etc., I'll never get one.)
Know the feeling?

Get this one, it is perfect. (You will need to install an inside switch for it.)

Thanks to westyss for posting information about his outside light.

The Smart Light with Star Monitor

lightve.jpg

I also installed this outside light, these are great, has a motion detector and came with LED, very bright and works great, recommended! It can be used normally on or set up for motion detection, and will blink red if battery levels go too low.

Light update; this light is a great addition to my camper, I like the fact that its LED, and a nice bright LED, the motion detection is great, we sit at the fire and its nice and dark, when we need to go inside to make another cold beverage, get up and the light turns on to pave the way. It doesnt go off with the dog roaming around. Two thumbs up for this unit.

Best place to buy looks to be on ebay.

I like this option IF you dont already have a porch light installed on your camper. But if you already have a porch light installed you could just replace incandescent bulb with a LED, I went with the Revolutions 300 and it's slightly brighter then original, costs about 25 bucks per bulb, pricey but cheaper then replacing the entire fixture.
I replaced the interior light fixtures with LED fixtures and I wish I had just replaced the bulbs with LED's, they're brighter then the original OEM FWC bulbs.

Get this one, it is perfect. (You will need to install an inside switch for it.)

Best place to buy looks to be on ebay.

[/quote]

Overland Hadley said:
If my camper is pre wired, will I still need another inside switch? Looks like a nice option!
I Was going to just put the same as is on the rear, on the side.... Hmmmmm

TT

Comes with a switch (per the installation instructions) so you wouldn't need an interior switch.

We popped an LED into the existing fixture on our 08 Hawk. Works great and we can leave it on without worrying about amps.

When we were at Eureka Dunes I told my sweetie to please leave the light on while I hiked out for night photos. It was my beacon to return to, otherwise it was very, very dark out there and I would have been wandering in the 11F night.

Lighthawk said:
We popped an LED into the existing fixture on our 08 Hawk. Works great and we can leave it on without worrying about amps.
x2. We actually had the Starlight fixture but changed it to the normal porch light with led bulb as the motion detection didn't work well with interference from the flood lights and gas can carriers.

I too, just replaced the standard bulb with an LED Revolution 300. I also switched the amber lens with a clear lens. This brighten things up outside the door w/o being too bright and annoying to other campers or me! One thing I would like to do, and that is, wire this porch light to a switch inside, but I am not sure how to. I asked FWC, but they were reluctant to do this? It would be nice to not have to open the door to see what's going on outside.

Is the yellow lens supposed to be better at keeping bugs away?? Thought I had heard that in the past..

Both my '01 Hawk, and my '02 Ranger had interior switch for the rear porch light.. Super handy.. I guess it was standard issue in the old(ish) days..

TT

Never seen a scientific proof of it, but I've always heard that an amber light does not draws bugs like a white light does and my casual experience would concur with that.

Incrementally I replaced all of the incandescent bulbs in the camper with product from superbrightLEDs.com The first couple of bulbs are cool white (5000k+ light "temperature") and those were a mistake. After them I ordered warm white (~3800k) and am much happier with those.

Read something somewhere that makes sense to me. It said if you have a colored lens that the LED's are going to shine thru, buy the LED's in that color. The reason being that the lens will filter out any light not close to it's color, which will reduce light output if you put a white (all light colors) bulb behind a red lens. Conversely if you put a red LED behind a red lens then all of it's light will pass thru the lens.

Be careful taking the lens off when you put in the LED bulbs. I broke my rear one (in the sun a lot when parked at home). I picked up two yellow ones at Camping World in Anderson on my way back from Cassel Campground today.

I also read where the amber lens cuts down on attracting bugs. That said, I have clear at the back door and amber for the side awning...I have not seen much if any difference. Bugs still come.

Back
Top Bottom