LEDs, Generator & IOTA Add-on for Fast Charge

Jack

We swapped one of the two bayonet bulbs in each light fixture with LED replacements . This has worked out very well. The LEDS alone are bright enough for cooking, short reading, and especially working on laptops, but we turn on the incandescents for serious reading. We seldom camp with "shore" power, so the LEDs draw of less than 10% of power lets us stay longer without having to recharge the battery. We've had these lights for about 2 years - new ones are brighter and have a fuller color spectrum.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5055

We have a Yamaha 1kw super-quiet generator (like the Honda, but a bit cheaper) that runs for about 6-8hr on it's .66 gallon tank of gas. These puppies aren't cheap (> $600) but combined with the IOTA IQ Smart Controller, we can camp for more than a week and still run laptops and the furnace. Our next step is to get a tap put on the truck gas line so we can refill the generator from the truck. We do not like the idea of carrying a small gas tank around. The generator is also quite clean. We travel with it inside the camper and do not have any problem with fumes (after letting it cool down). The Yamaha also has a 12V output, so you can even start the truck if you kill it's battery.
http://www.wisesales.com/YamahaGenerators.html?referrer=GoogleAW&gclid=CPGsqsGLipACFRtHYAodURe8sg

The IQ Smart Controller is a necessary add on. Alone, the IOTA trickle charges the battery, so it takes hours of generator time to recharge the battery. The IQ Smart Controller provides controlled charging - fast to start with and then tapers off to trickle. The IQ does not seem to be the most sophisticated charge controller and therefor may not be the kindest battery charger, but at $30 for it and $60 for a new camper battery, it did not seem cost effective to replace the IOTA with a $200 converter to save a few months of battery life.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=261

On the subject of electricals, we also added, like many others have, an inverter (Xantrex 450W ). It's close and tied to the battery. We used 8 gauge braided wire to minimize voltage drop and line loss. It's quite adequate to handle two wide-screen laptops.

Attachments

• 4WC Light Bulbs.jpg
    4WC Light Bulbs.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 463
  • 4WC Lights On.jpg
    4WC Lights On.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 471
  • 4WC Waste Bucket & Generator.jpg
    4WC Waste Bucket & Generator.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 466
  • 4WC Iola charge control.jpg
    4WC Iola charge control.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 467
  • 4WC Inverter.jpg
    4WC Inverter.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 460
How quite is that generator?

I've heard that people don't even hear the Honda's, what about your Yamaha's sound level? I'm used to camping where closing a door on the truck sounds like a lot of racket and I think I would hear the sound of even a Honda generator, but I would like to hear (no pun intended) how loud you perceive your Yamaha is.

Looks good. The black box on the wall next to the sink is a charge controller?

Yamaha Noise & IQ Charger Controller

The Yamaha is as quiet as the Honda, but they are very noticeable when operating. You know it's running from inside the camper, but it's not annoying. We too prefer quite places, so it's very much a trade off between keeping the battery charged for heat and the computers, and our own enjoyment of where we are - especially if we have neighbors. Solar panels are definitely our next step.

Yup, the black box on the wall is the IQ charge controller.

Jack I can not tell if your generator has a charger port my honda has a plug for a 10 amp charge...... if yours has one you could use it to charge the battery faster.....great job on you camper.

Back
Top Bottom