Lesson Learned with Use of the TF-51 Truckfridge

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
This top loading portable fridge has been our choice for around 6 years now. We are very happy with it. When we first bought one I ran a series of tests that can be found here -

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/6649-truckfridge-tf51a-test-results/

The fridge has an "ECO" mode and a "MAX" mode for operation. The owner's manual explains it thusly -

Press the ECO key to enter the "ECONOMY" operating mode: the ECO light turns on and the com-
pressor runs at minimum speed by keeping a fresh temperature inside the refrigerator. By pressing the
ECO key again, the light turns off and the refrigerator enters in MAX mode (mode (maximum number of
compressor turns). MAX light will be switched on until having acheved the temperature set.
USEFUL ADVICE
1) Use the product in MAX mode in these cases:
- use of the product as refrigerator and/or freezer with high ambient temperature;
- when the suitable temperature need to be achieved in few time.
2) Use the product in ECO mode in these cases:
- use of the product as refrigerator and, in particular, with low ambient temperature;
- when the vehicle is parked for long time (with engine switched off)

There is no information in the listed specifications on what the difference in current draw is between "ECO" and "MAX". All the testing I did was in "ECO" mode and, as became habit, I've run the fridge always on "ECO" mode. I'm a "I like to save energy" kind of guy.

All was well until our long trip last summer. On two occasions with high temperatures - mid nineties - we stopped at markets and resupplied. After driving several more hours to our next destination, I found the fridge still running and the temperature reading at 42°. So I was adding a large mass of warmer items - that shopping cart trip across the hot asphalt at the markets - then running the fridge on "ECO" mode and it was taking hours to get down to shut off temperature.

By the way, I love that these chest fridges have a constant temperature read out and that a desired temperature can be set with the controls.

Well, it took me returning home and doing some tests to determine that running in "ECO" mode was the culprit. I, of course, was initially jumping to the conclusion that the fridge didn't work and there goes hundreds of dollars for a new one.

The weather is just starting to warm up this season and I will now be running the fridge while driving in the "MAX" mode and see if it keeps up with resupplying in hot weather.

Maybe - doubtful though - I'll someday pull the fridge out and test the difference in current draw between "ECO" and "MAX". I am curious.

If I understand you correctly, you'll run in max all the time if the outside temps are in the nineties? Will you switch to eco in the evenings? I'm new to the TF51 and I only had temps in the high 80's and the eco mode seemed to work fine. I did have to play with the temp settings until I felt like it was properly set. I ended up setting the temp at 30 degrees which usually kept the internal temp at 36 degrees +/- 2. Keep us posted on your latest tests. Thanks!!

I'll start running on "MAX" when we get into the eighties while driving the truck. I'll still run on "ECO" in the evenings, especially if the "MAX" mode brings temperature down quickly.

I found the digital display temperature to be 4° off. I run mine set at 32° to achieve 36° inside.

I can make this easy. Per my Trimetric monitor.

ECO= 2.5 amp draw

MAX= 4.5-5 amp draw.

In my experience in MAX mode it stays closer to set temp. Very close. In ECO mode it seems to allow a few more degrees of swing in the temp. Not a lot just a couple each way.

I have occasionally used MAX when adding fresh stuff to an already cold fridge. But the need is rare here. Or when cooling down the fridge when it's been off.

My solar recovers so well that I don't sweat cooling the fridge from off on 12 volts and MAX. I haven't used it on AC since last year. I still haven't bothered to hook up a charging circuit to the truck. I went 5 days in January with 70* day temps outside and no charging from the sun due to clouds and shade. The fridge was on and I used the furnace and lights occasionally. Battery only dropped to 77%.

In reality mine stays on in the camper most of the year. It's been running non stop for several weeks now. I keep it set at 36* Haven't checked with a thermometer but I think it's probably 2* warmer real world.

Like Ski we have had ours for 6 years and have had no problems.
I have noticed at times the "readout" will switch to E1. When you first see that reading it looks like 31* but it's not the case.This happened on a trip 2 weeks ago. I just let it set and it switched back to ECNO mode and continued to hold the set temp.
Does anyone else get this reading?
Frank

I'M a "I like to save energy" kind of guy. Hmmmmm. if you have solar panels or an alternator producing electricity that you are not using...are you saving or wasting? :)

cwd

I am watching intently, I have tested my arb 51qt enough to give up. But I too conserve and fiddle about just for fun.. or is it more. I believe besides the vehicle, the fully functioning fridge is my most appreciated mechanical component.

cwdtmmrs said:
I'M a "I like to save energy" kind of guy. Hmmmmm. if you have solar panels or an alternator producing electricity that you are not using...are you saving or wasting? :)

cwd
Think of all the sleep to be missed by contemplating the answer. :)
Wasting fuel by driving the alternator. Solar... Still thinking...
Paul

If you are driving anyway, you really aren't wasting fuel. The slight load from the alternator isn't enough to notice, The engine is driving the belt anyway.

cwd

We purchased our truckfridge about 3 years ago based on the positive reviews they received on this site. It's usually strapped down in the back of the Jeep as we bounce down the trail. I've been concerned about the abuse it's taken but so far no issues. I did receive the E-1 code once and in a full panic called the distributor. E-1 code does indeed mean low battery voltage. I've since switch the battery protector to the low position and haven't seen an E-1 since.

cwdtmmrs said:

cwd
That's a brain teaser for sure. :oops: I think the answer is yes.

I believe the truckfridge - Indel B - is a great product. It has survived our travels and usage for years. I learned a lesson this past summer and will be tweaking how I use it in hot weather for more efficient cooling.

When I 1st installed mine I got the E1 code using the highest voltage setting and the lighter plug connector. The lighter plug couldn't provide the voltage spike to start the compressor in this setting with the crappy lighter plug. A switch to the middle voltage setting solved this temporarily. The real cure was the Anderson power pole connector and larger wire.

So far almost a year now and we're still tickled pink with ours!

Squatch said:
When I 1st installed mine I got the E1 code using the highest voltage setting and the lighter plug connector. The lighter plug couldn't provide the voltage spike to start the compressor in this setting with the crappy lighter plug. A switch to the middle voltage setting solved this temporarily. The real cure was the Anderson power pole connector and larger wire.

So far almost a year now and we're still tickled pink with ours!
Thanks for the info.
I keep mine on the highest voltage setting,but I'll have to try the middle one.
Frank

Hey all!

My name is Sean Moore and I am the Marketing Director with TruckFridge. I got an alert that we were being discussed in here and when I read the post I sent an email to our technical guys asking if they could answer many of the questions you all had regarding our refrigerators. Here is what they sent back on these topics:

The quick answer is that Eco is the energy saving mode in which the compressor doesn’t run as often.
ECO Mode: Reduces power consumption and is used once fridge is down to its desired operating temperature.
MAX Mode: Is used to reduce the internal temperature quickly. Fridge will consume more power on this setting.

Some of the other questions in the forum…
E1 is a low voltage condition meaning that the fridge isn’t receiving the voltage required to operate. This could be due to a weak or low battery or due to the battery protection level being set too high.
For trucks, we generally recommend that the user set the switch in either the “Med” or “Low” setting.
For camper people, they may need to keep it in “High” to insure that their vehicle has enough voltage to start.

Display is up to 4° off.
There is a way to adjust the settings but it’s not very user friendly. Better to have them keep in mind the swing could be up to that 4 degrees off.

So there you go! We hope that helps. If you have any other questions, comments you can always email me using: marketing@truckfridge.com

Oh, one thought...I know we were discussing the built in models here. But we do like to work with special interest groups and forums on the portable models as well by setting up group buys. They are great for any car, truck, van, SUV, etc. And can go anywhere the car goes. Great for camping, tailgating, beach days etc.

If there is an interest in something like that let us know. We usually run with a point person who will do the posting and be our liaison for updates tot he group.

Regards,

Sean Moore

TruckFridge said:
Hey all!

My name is Sean Moore and I am the Marketing Director with TruckFridge. I got an alert that we were being discussed in here and when I read the post I sent an email to our technical guys asking if they could answer many of the questions you all had regarding our refrigerators. Here is what they sent back on these topics:

The quick answer is that Eco is the energy saving mode in which the compressor doesn’t run as often.
ECO Mode: Reduces power consumption and is used once fridge is down to its desired operating temperature.
MAX Mode: Is used to reduce the internal temperature quickly. Fridge will consume more power on this setting.

E1 is a low voltage condition meaning that the fridge isn’t receiving the voltage required to operate. This could be due to a weak or low battery or due to the battery protection level being set too high.
For trucks, we generally recommend that the user set the switch in either the “Med” or “Low” setting.
For camper people, they may need to keep it in “High” to insure that their vehicle has enough voltage to start.

Display is up to 4° off.
There is a way to adjust the settings but it’s not very user friendly. Better to have them keep in mind the swing could be up to that 4 degrees off.

So there you go! We hope that helps. If you have any other questions, comments you can always email me using: marketing@truckfridge.com

Oh, one thought...I know we were discussing the built in models here. But we do like to work with special interest groups and forums on the portable models as well by setting up group buys. They are great for any car, truck, van, SUV, etc. And can go anywhere the car goes. Great for camping, tailgating, beach days etc.

If there is an interest in something like that let us know. We usually run with a point person who will do the posting and be our liaison for updates tot he group.

Regards,

Sean Moore
Sean ,thank you for taking the time to answer the questions we have posed.
I have been using my TF41 for 6 years and have had no issues except the E1 which really didn't cause a problem just needed a why answer.
I will now set my fridge to a lower position.
Thanks again.
Frank

TruckFridge said:
Hey all!

Display is up to 4° off.

Regards,

Sean Moore
Sean, could you provide some details about the group buy program. I know of several interest groups that would be very interested.

And, like Frank said, thanks for taking the time to help us.

Steve

Thanks for checking in!

Actually most of us have the chest type models of Truck Fridge.

I've been very happy so far with my fridge. The couple of times I've called you folks I got answers and a spare power cord with polite and prompt service!

Back
Top Bottom