Lesson Learned.

EdoHart

Grasshopper
I decided to setup my back packing tent in the back yard tonight and realized that I lost, or more likely, left my tent stakes behind somewhere! I'm sure I can find replacement stakes, or I can borrow them from my other tent. Man am I glad I decided to check my equipment before next week.

About 10 years ago some friends came out and decided that they wanted to do a bit of backpacking.

I grabbed all of my stuff and funnelled out the extras, making sure everyone was "set".

T'was a great hike. We got to camp and unpacked, and it was then that I realized that I'd misplaced/left my Thermarest at home...

those were some LONNNGGG nights...

replacement stakes can probably be found at a local sporting goods store...or at a last resort...the Evil Empire.

have fun

mtn

I rarely stake my backpacking tent. Though it has blown away if theres no gear inside ;)

We've all left something important behind before. At least it make for good storytelling.

About 10 years ago some friends came out and decided that they wanted to do a bit of backpacking.I grabbed all of my stuff and funnelled out the extras, making sure everyone was "set".T'was a great hike. We got to camp and unpacked, and it was then that I realized that I'd misplaced/left my Thermarest at home...those were some LONNNGGG nights...replacement stakes can probably be found at a local sporting goods store...or at a last resort...the Evil Empire.have funmtn

I found the stakes next to the tent this morning. I was setting it up in the dark because that's how I will probably do it Friday night. They weren't were I expected them to be and I assumed they were lost. If I really needed them, I probably would have found them. :(

I rarely stake my backpacking tent. Though it has blown away if theres no gear inside ;) We've all left something important behind before. At least it make for good storytelling.

Although this tent (a Northface Tadpole 23) will stand by itself, it is so small and light weight it can travel a surprising distance with just sleeping bags and pads in a strong breeze if it's not staked down. Of course once it flips over once, the footprint will come loose and it may end up who knows where. While I don't expect rain, we may get some dew and I prefer the security of a rain fly, which require the stakes.

North Face gear/tents are da shat! High-priced upfront...but that lifetime guarantee is well worth the cost of admission. I have a 25 year old VE23 dome tent (the old car camping tent) that the front zipper crapped out on after 23 years and they fixed it...no questions...no charge...no bull.

glad you located the stakes, Edo. LOL. Buy a flashlight, bro!

mtn

You got that right Mtn, I've got a 20+ year old model too. Replaced one of the poles and all the grommets, no questions, no charge as you say. That tent is still as solid today as when i first bought it.

We replaced our 21 year old Sierra Designs Metor Lite with a Big Angus Copper Dome. We just wore it out. Had the zipper replaced once and now it was broke again. Surivied heave winds and replaced some pole sections free.

Very impressed with the Copper Dome.

North Face gear/tents are da shat! High-priced upfront...but that lifetime guarantee is well worth the cost of admission. I have a 25 year old VE23 dome tent (the old car camping tent) that the front zipper crapped out on after 23 years and they fixed it...no questions...no charge...no bull.

glad you located the stakes, Edo. LOL. Buy a flashlight, bro!

mtn

Hah, I literally laughed out loud. I bought 4 new AAA batteries for the minimag flashlight - 2 in the flashlight and a spare set. The spare fit in a 35mm film canister with room to spare.

I'm glad to read others have had great experience with North Face gear. I bought it because it is very light, just roomy enough, stands up well to a wind and will work with just the fly, footprint, poles and stakes. I can leave the actual tent behind, which is what I have decided to do on this trip. This will be the first time - it may be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom