Leveling without jacks

Mark G

I use my jacks every time I camp in order to level and stabilize my camper. This is especially necessary in the boondocks. I see a number of other FWC's with out jacks and I wander how y'all are able to level the camper where you camp?

Like others - rocks, blocks of wood or lynx levelers under the tires. On sand or gravel with no vegetation we sometimes also dig small holes for the high wheels.

Mark, I believe you stand a good chance of damaging your camper turnbuckle brackets and/or the bed of your truck using your jacks. If you are removing your turnbuckles and raising the camper you are going against FWC instructions by using the camper with the bottom not being supported. Either way you are creating damage opportunities and extra work when you could place a couple levelers (1 on the rear side and one on the front wall and using inexpensive leveling blocks or make your own of 2x6. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I have Firestone airbags with onboard air compressor so I can raise or lower the back and adjust side to side. It's a great side benefit of the airbags.

If boondocking I assume you are off road so I would be afraid of catching a jack on something, and they add 200 lbs.

Never take my jacks. Already trying to trim weight. Sometimes I use rocks but usually take out the RV lego blocks. I also use a simple level. I have a horizontal surface in the cab and place it under it to see lateral bank angle. Then get out and place under the side of the camper to figure out longitudinal pitch. Keep it simple.

RV Lego blocks
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44505-Leveling-Blocks-pack/dp/B00480BWBE/ref=pd_sim_263_28?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=FX6H1J736NNFMBNPJAJ4&th=1

Think you can find a two pack of these cheaper but just providing the link to show you what I use.
https://www.amazon.com/Lev-O-Gage-Sun-Lev-o-gage-Sailing-Clinometer/dp/B0000AY6VK/ref=pd_sbs_200_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QERXHV2792Y9BW3WV1ZF
418gnzx3H0L.jpg

I also use the lego type blocks and have a lev o gauge in the truck cab. I use an app on my phone to check the level on the underside of the cab over since that is where the bed is and I don't want my head downhill when I sleep.

Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I carry 2x10x18" boards and 4x4 cedar blocks(cedar is much lighter than pine). can use the boards indivdually or make a ramp with the 4x4s. Haven't found a situation I couldn't get level with this combo. Level is most important for a 3way fridge to run at optimum.

I kind of just eyeball it when parking with a look at the hood and question of can I sleep at this much of an angle or not. I do carry Lynx blocks but probably only used them a handful of times this year and most every time was in a campground.

We try to park as level as possible, then even things out with the AirLift bags. If we're in a particularly un-even place, we'll pull out the shovel and dig a few small holes or stack a few rocks.

I installed a cheap, 2-way level from Home Depot on the underside of the cab-over section. I can see it from the driver's seat and from the air bag valves to get things as close to perfect as possible.

What's level?

Sorry couldn't resist!

After years of sleeping on off-chamber surfaces, ground, sailboats/ships, airplanes I guess I sleep better when I'm not level.

But to overcome the sensation I'm sliding out of the camper bed, I use the Leggo blocks sourced at WallyMart in Cottonwood, AZ. I'd been sleeping for weeks off-chamber. Didn't know it was an issue until I picked the wife up at the airport and she complained the first night about the feeling of sliding through the side and out into the boonies.

Surprisingly, the Lynx blocks have held up pretty well to my F-250 and now F-350. Using 4 Low and creeping up onto the blocks seems to preserve their shape and minimizes damaging them...very much.

The main issue here is for those of us using a three way fridge...They don't work if off level.

Sent from my XT1254 using Wander The West mobile app

I've never had a problem being able to drive up and get my rig level, a few times I've used a rock to help out. Almost always within 2 degrees either way. Ron

2thdr said:
The main issue here is for those of us using a three way fridge...They don't work if off level.
Sent from my XT1254 using Wander The West mobile app
If you have your camper within approx 1/2 bubble, the 3 way refers work fine. Perfectly level is wonderful, but you don't need to be 'perfect'.

I carry a big plastic bin in the aisle of my Fleet. In contains, among other stuff, a bunch of pieces of 1-inch thick lumber, of various lengths (maybe 12", 18" & 24"), which are used to level the camper. These are sections of 6-inch pressure-treated "deck boards". I stack them up as needed and drive the truck up onto the stacks, first shifting into 4-wheel-low so I can go up in a controlled way. Each board has a hole in the center and I use some 1/4-inch bolts as pins to keep the stacks from shifting. If a stack is really tall and if there is a board left over, I lean it on the end of the stack as a little ramp.

This method requires some trial-and-error, but I've gotten pretty good at estimating the stacks from the level readings. I use a 2-foot bubble level. If I leave a site planning to come back, I leave the stacks of boards in place on the ground, so I don't have to figure it out again.

I haven't had much luck using the airbags for leveling side-to-side. There's just too much interaction between the sides. It's useful for front-to-back, but I use the boards first.

The camper doesn't have to be perfectly level. Head of the bed (front of truck) higher than foot is important. I don't see the need to stabilize the truck; it moves up and down on the springs as we move about inside, but we don't mind.

- Bernard

I use my Lynx blocks, but sometimes you just need to make due.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 137
The most important aspect of getting things level is so the eggs don't pool up on one side of the pan when you're making breakfast ;)

Back
Top Bottom