Levelling blocks

MarkBC said:
I usually put the truck in 4X4 when I drive up on my Lynx Levelers, especially when the levelers are under the front wheels.

Once I had to use TWO (2) sets of Levelers (that's 20 blocks total) to level my truck. :eek: I was camped in the White Mts, at the trailhead at the end of the White Mt. Road.
attachicon.gif
White-Mt_Trailhead_Camp-1.jpg

Usually I don't need more than just part of one set...but I was glad I had TWO sets so I could camp in exactly the spot I wanted to camp. :)
This is our experience also. We have 2 sets and often use all the blocks (but never all under one wheel!). 4wd is very helpful getting up on the blocks.

Basin Deranged said:
Thanks Lighthawk. LVL sounds like a great idea.
Several years ago I made a set of blocks out of Trex decking with little aluminum cleats dadoed across them to keep them from slipping on top of each other, but I curse their weight every time I have to carry them.
gallery_5833_925_4892751.jpg

LVL should save some weight.
Just an FYI...
The LVL's are MUCH HEAVIER than Trex decking

Not to nitpick, but do you have any data on the weight of LVL vs. Trex.? It probably doesn't matter 5# one way or the other.
I've installed plenty of Trex and LVL's in my carpentry career. They are both heavy. If weight is a concern there are parallams that are plywood based, instead of OSB like LVL. The main reason I chose LVL is for the thicker material, up to 1 3/4". When used as a jack platform, it's a solid, non-flexible base too.

Gee, I feel like we should be in the military with all the acronyms. :p

Lighthawk said:
Not to nitpick, but do you have any data on the weight of LVL vs. Trex.? It probably doesn't matter 5# one way or the other.
I've installed plenty of Trex and LVL's in my carpentry career. They are both heavy. If weight is a concern there are parallams that are plywood based, instead of OSB like LVL. The main reason I chose LVL is for the thicker material, up to 1 3/4". When used as a jack platform, it's a solid, non-flexible base too.

Gee, I feel like we should be in the military with all the acronyms. :p
According to this source the LVL weighs 6.6 #'s PLF
http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?60769-Installing-an-LVL

And Trex weighs 2.5 #'s PLF
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20364011_20775990,00.html

Of course it depends on the size of the board but you get the idea. I agree that the LVL would be a better platform as it doesn't flex like Trex.

I personally don't want to lug around a bunch of decking material and go with the "lego" style. Cheap, easy, compact and fairly light.

smlobx said:
According to this source the LVL weighs 6.6 #'s PLF
http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?60769-Installing-an-LVL

And Trex weighs 2.5 #'s PLF
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20364011_20775990,00.html

Of course it depends on the size of the board but you get the idea. I agree that the LVL would be a better platform as it doesn't flex like Trex.
The Trex link quotes the weight of a 2x6 per lineal foot, which is 1 board foot (2x6x12=144 cu.in.) at 2.5# / BF
The LVL is a 1 3/4" x 14", so a linear foot is just over 2 board feet (1.75x14x12=294 cu in=2.04 BF), so it's really 3.23# / BF
LVL is about 30% heavier. I do travel with half a dozen chunks, so it probably does come up to 15# total.
As mentioned, I have used them to support jacks and drive over when sunk in the mud, so it works for us.

What's cool about WTW is that everybody works out slightly different solutions to their needs.

super doody said:
Longhorn,

I'm thinking about ordering some rapid jacks. How do the work?

Jim
Jim,

The Rapid Jacks aren't levelers. Click on Accessories, truck accessories and click on levelers, product 3604. It is a 2-piece, the leveler and the choke. I purchased 2 levelers and 2 chokes at $39.99+/- a set. jd

longhorn1 said:
Jim,

The Rapid Jacks aren't levelers. Click on Accessories, truck accessories and click on levelers, product 3604. It is a 2-piece, the leveler and the choke. I purchased 2 levelers and 2 chokes at $39.99+/- a set. jd
I am using the rapid jacks as levelers. They are working great.

super doody said:
Bill, do you get more height with rapid jack vs anderson levelers? If so, how much? Are you using a chock behind the jack?
Not sure, but I think the rapid jacks are an inch or two higher. I have not needed a chock. Only problem I have had is on soft dirt they sank in. I do carry a couple of 2x8's that I used under them. So far I wish I had purchased them years ago.

Back
Top Bottom