Levelling camper/truck at camp

Kokopelli

What do you use to level your camper/truck at camp? Rocks/anything local you can find on the ground? Or do you have some compact thing you carry in the truck that you stick under the wheels and drive up on?

Thanks!

I have a package of plastic blocks, but most times i dont even worry about it. Sorta level is good enough.

I usually just use rocks. The plastic things are nice but it's just another thing you have to carry. Let me put it this way: I like using the plastic things when Ted brings them :D

We have the plastic blocks, but will probably stop carrying them. We mostly use firewood or rocks now. Firewood works great as long as you haven't burned it all up :D. You can get a lot more altitude from rocks and firewood than from a bag of blocks.

Rocks

Rocks....:D:D
32.jpg

Patrick, you're getting a lot of use from that photo.

Rocks....:D:D
32.jpg

How many times has that picture shown up?

I carry the plastic lego like blocks. I also carry a piece of 2X10X10 redwood in case I need to jack the truck up in deep sand.

I used to rely on rocks until I couldn't get level enough to run the refrigerator.

Ted is going to want compensation for use of his picture. I used it twice and Ted once for his post. And once from you:D:D:thumb:

How level is level?

Rocks have worked for me so far...

Here's what Norcold says is their level tolerance:

Looking at the front of the fridge (not the front of the camper)
within 3 degrees side-to-side
within 6 degrees front-to-back

That's to avoid damaging the cooling system. They don't say anything about loss of efficiency at lesser angles, though.

Rocks have many purposes, but be sure to make you friendly BLM Rangers (that would be me) job a little easier and put the rocks back where you found them. :thumb:

where to leave rocks

I don't know about Patrick, but I always leave rocks where I find them. I find them on the ground and I leave them on the ground. :rolleyes:

Nice shot of your truck, Patrick.

Glad you are getting good use of the photo. And for you, no charge. But for Dirty Dog, however, no blocks for you.:p

I’m always selective about my choice of rocks. I try to use the ones that have been disturbed. I leave the ones that have been there a long time because there are millions of creatures (bugs, ants, spiders, etc..) have their homes under the rock.

When leaving I place the ones I did use back and try to leave the area cleaner than I got there.

I survey the ground with my eyes before parking and pick the best spot that the truck will be level without using rocks, wood or... After you do it for years it becomes easier. I also have two level gauges right inside the cab wall that I can see in the drivers seat. A glance over my shoulder will tell me when to stop and how much bubble out but within the refrigerator limits.

I have the plastic blocks and I like em alot.I used some loaners at the Az Popup Rally in October and bought some shortly there after.Now if I can only remember to pick them up when I leave camp.

I was being flip in my last post, but seriously, Garymc, I'm well aware how important it is to tread lightly. I've been camping in National Forests and state parks lately. In the state parks, the campgrounds are developed and I've always been able to get a level place. In the NF dispersed camping I always use pre-existing campsites with previously disturbed rocks (and firerings).

Your National Forests: Land of Many (ab)Uses.

I carry 2 packs of Lynx Leveller Blocks, they're like large flat square Legos for campers. I also carry a 2' Level, and try to pick the best flat spot when backing into a campsite.

This year I'm working on getting one of the Vehicle Incline Gauges for my truck, zero out the gauge set (front to back and side to side) with the camper on the truck and level. Then as long as that doesn't go out of alignment, when I get out to where I need to I can see from in the truck as to how far off I need to correct to get the camper level.

I too use rocks but I always put them back when on BLM land. Heaven knows I wouldn't want all those cows that are crapping all over the landscape to trip on an errant rock or a rancher thats getting a free ride on the public to fall off is horse and hurt himself.

I also have two level gauges right inside the cab wall that I can see in the drivers seat. A glance over my shoulder will tell me when to stop and how much bubble out but within the refrigerator limits.

How much bubble out on the level gauges to keep the refrigerator working optimally?

Thanks!

Combination of plastic blocks and a little digging. It only took us two years to discover how much better the fridge works with dead on leveling, though it can be a real pain to get it that level.

Blocks

After also borrowing blocks at the DV rally, I bought myself a couple bags of them when I got home. Had been using rocks before.. The blocks are much easier for a lazy guy like me.

Back
Top Bottom