Lift Mechanism

krj

Advanced Member
Hello all.

I recently got back from the inaugural trip in my old Grandby & new(er) Tundra. 6700 miles in Baja without a hitch. The flatbed gave a ton of extra storage. The camper worked great, but, of course, I found a few things I would like to change/add.

First and foremost - a lift mechanism of some sort!
I had on the roof: 2 windsurfing boards, 1 windsurfing boom, & 1 surf board. Five weeks of the trip were solo & I would have to take off the 2 windsurfing boards in order to raise the roof. If I wasn't going to spend more than a night or two in a spot, it wasn't worth the trouble of removing them. This lead to a lot of Hunchback nights. While my girlfriend was down, we could get the roof up, with much effort.
I met a guy with an Eagle down there who had a proto-type 12v powered lift he got from FWC. It worked very well, but they don't make them anymore. Met another guy who had a Grandby years ago & he said he built a block & tackle system to push the roof up.
Any one out there have a lift system they'd like to share info about?

You must have missed this thread.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2974/

Hello all.

I recently got back from the inaugural trip in my old Grandby & new(er) Tundra. 6700 miles in Baja without a hitch. The flatbed gave a ton of extra storage. The camper worked great, but, of course, I found a few things I would like to change/add.

First and foremost - a lift mechanism of some sort!
I had on the roof: 2 windsurfing boards, 1 windsurfing boom, & 1 surf board. Five weeks of the trip were solo & I would have to take off the 2 windsurfing boards in order to raise the roof. If I wasn't going to spend more than a night or two in a spot, it wasn't worth the trouble of removing them. This lead to a lot of Hunchback nights. While my girlfriend was down, we could get the roof up, with much effort.
I met a guy with an Eagle down there who had a proto-type 12v powered lift he got from FWC. It worked very well, but they don't make them anymore. Met another guy who had a Grandby years ago & he said he built a block & tackle system to push the roof up.
Any one out there have a lift system they'd like to share info about?

Definitely check out the roof shock lifters.A lot of us have installed them and seem to work well. Also check my thread "roof lifter" in the ATC camper site. I carry this if I need some extra lift.I carry a canoe and raise and lower the roof with no problem using only the roof shocks.Another positive about the roof shocks is when lowering the roof doesn't come crashing down. Hope this helps. Also check out the thread by Less Lqhikers and the things he worked with to make some roof lifters.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom