Lightweight Ladders for Camper-Roof Access

Smokecreek1 said:
....and I could no longer resist---and for only $87.00 on Amazon! I hate you again :p !

Smoke
What size is the one you ordered, Smoke? Same as Craig's -- 8½ feet?
(I assume Craig meant 8.5'...)

Next Rally is there going to be a two legged ladder race? Every one should have one by then.... There should be a fun way for entertainment with these.

MarkBC said:
What size is the one you ordered, Smoke? Same as Craig's -- 8½ feet?
(I assume Craig meant 8.5'...)
No-Mark-the 12 footer like yours-on sale-buy another one - that's why I went for it! Saved $96.00 on the original price-a latter race at the next rally? What next and where is it going to be?
-
Smoke

100acrehuphalump said:
How often do you need to access the roof while on trips?
Never, since I don't have a ladder or steps. If I had a ladder, I'd store stuff on the roof and then need the ladder. I think I'll just limp along without one : :oops:

Well, the only times i needed to get on my roof when it was up & was camping was when II did something stupid first :ninja: like when (1) I forgot to check (make sure I had enough slack) the solar wires before I put the roof up and pulled them out :oops: and had to plug them in again and( two) forgot to put enough roof seal around the base(s) of my new solar panels and the roof leaked when of course it rained the first time I used them :oops: and I needed to reseal the 'em, and then I went on the roof from the truck's cab/roof. But I could not resist a $89.00 12 1/2 foot telescoping but heavy latter :) . Now what Bob says is right, where do I put the dang thing, the roof? I know I will need it one day out in the boonies, so want to bet, that's the day I leave it home :p, right? Stupid is stupid does ;) ! But what a deal :D !

Smoke

Being less than tall I need a ladder just to roll up or unroll my storm flaps. Certainly need it for the Kayak (slighty untrue, I've managed to get it up and down but it takes some less than safe contortions) and the maxtrax.

100acrehuphalump said:
It might be a good thing to have in heavily populated bear country for hanging your food in a tree, or for getting into a tree to hunt without a tree stand or get up a rock face easier...
I don't believe you can hang food from a tree any longer in National Parks. I have the rules at several state parks and that was mentioned as not allowed.

Has anyone tried to use étriers (webbing ladder used in rock climbing) to access roof?

JaSAn said:
Has anyone tried to use étriers (webbing ladder used in rock climbing) to access roof?
Haven't tried it, but it seems like it would work -- IF you had a good, sound, anchor point
thumb.jpg
or points up there. Maybe a couple of these into the roof frame?

Before buying a ladder I semi-considered one of those flexible ladders like you might hang from a second-story window sill to escape from a burning house -- hang it off the roof somehow. But that didn't seem feasible (for one thing, probably couldn't hook the hangers on the roof without putting too much pressure on a small area) so I abandoned the idea.

MarkBC said:
Haven't tried it, but it seems like it would work -- IF you had a good, sound, anchor point
thumb.jpg
or points up there. Maybe a couple of these into the roof frame?

Before buying a ladder I semi-considered one of those flexible ladders like you might hang from a second-story window sill to escape from a burning house -- hang it off the roof somehow. But that didn't seem feasible (for one thing, probably couldn't hook the hangers on the roof without putting too much pressure on a small area) so I abandoned the idea.
Plus those fire escape ladders are usually made with chains and don't pack neatly

100acrehuphalump said:
How often do you need to access the roof while on trips?...
I echo what K6ON said: I haven't needed a ladder at all -- since all my trips have gone OK without one.

But it's in the category of "Might I sometime have a use for it?" Yes.

When not being used to access the roof to tilt my solar panels...
...then maybe to reach up high on trees and cacti when all the low-hanging fruit has been harvested by others not similarly equipped. ;)

Just remember if you have one out in a group someone is going to want to borrow it. Much like my shovel. Why no one else carries a shovel I don't know :)

Back
Top Bottom