Lion in the Yard Last Night

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
After dark last night Julie and I heard a loud scream right outside our open french door onto the deck. Julie thought the mountain lion was on the deck. I believed it was a bit further away and under the deck. We went outside to investigate. The lion went down the hill, vocal the entire time. We don't know what it was stirred up about. I will investigate today. We never saw it but it was obviously a lion in the night.

We're not concerned as it's a better neighbor than most folks around us.

When we lived in the Sierra foothills we had a regular lion visit - about every third night - throughout the summer months. That scream is something else.

I don't know if our neighborhood lion has been seen recently - was known to walk down the street in the mid-morning. The silver lining is that the neighbors with no fence and a couple of mildly aggressive and almost constantly barking dogs are keeping them inside more often. Good kitty!

i have no idea what the scream/calls are for - but i suspect u will be doing some research. maybe it wants u to come out to play? or hike with julie ??

While I was in Africa a neighbor sent me images of a mom Bobcat with three cubs in their back yard for a few hours. Such a delight to have them back in the neighborhood just a couple houses away.

Yep, we have had a young male here for the last few years-probably a refuge from all the fires of late. Took my neighbor's dog last year in her patio, she yelled at it, and he dropped it - it died later. Cal Fish and Game showed up and put up some camera's out and got some nice pictures that were posted on all the power poles around here! They told her she could shoot it if it if she had too for her own safety (remember this is all taking place within the Susanville city limits not out in the boondocks!).

He makes regular dawn visits and does not appear to be afraid of humans', and we find (and quickly leave) his covered kill sites while dog walking. As in most foothill towns around here we have lots of tame and plentiful deer for it to hunt and eat. We also have a bear here who shows up every Monday-garbage pick-up day during the summer and fall before it dens up for the winter. This is what happens when we humans move into their space and environment:( and now just is a part of living out west.

Smoke

Last edited:
i have no idea what the scream/calls are for - but i suspect u will be doing some research. maybe it wants u to come out to play? or hike with julie ??
Backpacking trip several years ago: I was awakened by the scream of a cat. The tent door was unzipped and the dog was headed out until I sat up in my mummy bag and plopped myself on the dog like a giant slug - at which time my husband woke up and asked what was gong on. I told him to zip up the tent and the cat screamed again. Husband remarked, "oh".

The horse packer said our 65 pound Golden Retriever was a good size for a meal (or two - see Smokecreek's mention of covered kill sites) and the cat was likely trying to get the dog to come out.

The cat that visited our house in the foothills was probably after our llamas but was stopped by our house, a chain link fence and then us with a spotlight and a black powder pistol loaded with blanks. I don't know why the cat found it necessary to announce it's presence but it would also scream at us the entire time we were trying to run it off.

1725314187986.jpeg

1725314240294.jpeg

We're not concerned as it's a better neighbor than most folks around us.
Great comment but sad to have those around you.

Beside the bobcats while I was gone, neighbor below me reports lots of destructive deer and a overnight visit from a bear. I set up the trail camera and raked dirt areas to look for tracks.

Times are getting hard.Early this morning a mt. lion was spotted and photographed
in downtown Salines just doing some window shopping.
Haven't heard anymore about the lion.
I am sure F&G will try to trap and relocate.
Frank

Times are getting hard.Early this morning a mt. lion was spotted and photographed
in downtown Salines just doing some window shopping.
Haven't heard anymore about the lion.
I am sure F&G will try to trap and relocate.
Frank
When I was living in Chico a cat was seen cruising town several times - usually by late night bar hoppers. And the Upper Crust Bakery had an ad running for a while that said, "I'll walk 100 miles for an Upper Crust croissant" after the baker heard and then saw the cat pawing at the door at 2 AM. The cat was last seen chasing geese on the golf course. And yes - the Upper Crust croissants were excellent.

Back
Top Bottom