LIVING in the Owens Valley/Sierra East?

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Just thought I'd throw this out there for feedback:

For many years I've told friends that I'd like to retire in Bishop. Not because I love the town itself (it's OK), but because the area/terrain matches what I like: deserts and mountains (mountains with sparse vegetation so there are big views at all elevations, not just the summits). Bishop/Owens Valley has the Great Basin Desert and the Mojave right next door and the Sonoran Desert a days drive or less. And to the west is a world-class range of mountains -- the exciting side of the Sierra Nevadas. Where I live now (and have for 32 years) -- Bend, OR -- the Great Basin Desert is at the edge of town, but all other deserts are far away.
I wouldn't expect/need to have a job there, so employment isn't an issue (couldn't be worse than Bend, anyway. :rolleyes: ...except for the job I already have)
So, that's what I see are the upsides of Bishop and the Owens Valley, but what are the downsides?

Does anyone know those areas well enough to give some feedback to the question:
"Why not live in the Owens Valley?"

Thanks. :)

BTW: There could be similar alternatives to the Owens Valley with similar natural values: UT, NM, AZ....but for some reason I don't see myself settling there, as much as I've enjoyed visiting there. On the other hand, maybe there might be tax-reasons, etc, why it would be better to live over the border in NV, just east of the Owens. Opinions on that?
(Speaking of NV, I don't recall seeing posts from forum members in Nevada -- are there any Nevadans on WTW?)

You aren't the only one that has mentioned settling in the Owens valley although conversations I have had with people were more centered further south like the Lone Pine area. I wouldn't mind being closer to Death Valley myself.

That would be me........

Lived in bishop and Mammoth Lakes area from '79 to '86. I moved to Carson City for full time employment. Carson City is close enough to head down and enjoy the area and around Tahoe.

I'm staying in Carson City and works good for us. Reno is 30 minuites away with shoping and the airport.

If I remember correctly we have a member that lives in Genoa. I really like it there

Sure, who doesn't like it there. But how does this help Mark about Owen's Valley?

gallery_176_163_8634.jpg

Seriously, there is a forum for people that like to hike in that area: Whitney Portal
I read this a lot when prepping for my Mt. Whitney hike. Many people that can find work in their field anywhere (I remember one EMT was on the forum a lot) move to this area specifically for the location.

Sure, who doesn't like it there. But how does this help Mark about Owen's Valley?

Well because he mentioned the possibility of living on the Nevada side of the border :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly we have a member that lives in Genoa. I really like it there
smile.gif

Genoa is stuck up against the mountians and the sun sets way too soon there and it is cold in the winter. Only 15 miles away from us.

You aren't the only one that has mentioned settling in the Owens valley although conversations I have had with people were more centered further south like the Lone Pine area. I wouldn't mind being closer to Death Valley myself.

Yeah, anything from Mono Lake to Owens Lake would fit my vision of "the area". I've just always said "retire in Bishop" even though I've done nothing towards making that happen. :rolleyes: I didn't even look at real estate/homes-prices when I was in Bishop on vacation last month...but I can get an idea of prices online anyway. I'm not too concerned with shopping options (other than groceries) since I buy almost everything online, so if there's UPS and FedEx delivery -- and broadband Internet -- I'm all set.

Seriously, there is a forum for people that like to hike in that area: Whitney Portal

The Mt Whitney cam on the home page is one of my favorite links -- I even have it on my smartphone.

I'd tend to think living in NV (assuming you liked your home there) would be worth it from the taxation perspective of things verse CA.

Had thoughts of moving to Bishop in the late 80's and almost did. Instead we chose Nevada City in the sierra foothills for a larger economic pool and somewhat more temperate climate.

That said, I love Bishop/Mammoth/Bridgeport areas like many other climber/skier/biker/fisherman/photogs for the obvious reasons you stated. The outdoors opportunities for play are world class without a doubt. However, I love my small town and suspect we have a greater cultural opportunities and can hit San Francisco in a few hours for the big city experience my GF requires once in a while. It's part of the balance: I take her out in the backcountry, she drags me to the City or Ashland for cultural inoculation. Works for us.

I know Bishop cooks in the summer, so somewhere a bit higher would be nice. Yet Mammoth requires heavy use of snow shovel in the winter. I think Crowley is considered the banana belt for climate. We found some sweet cabins for sale last summer on the east side of 395 on Owens Gorge Rd., near Tom's Place, that had me salivating. Now with the market drop, it's gotten more affordable I guess, but that's all relative isn't it?

I know Bishop cooks in the summer, so somewhere a bit higher would be nice. Yet Mammoth requires heavy use of snow shovel in the winter. I think Crowley is considered the banana belt for climate. We found some sweet cabins for sale last summer on the east side of 395 on Owens Gorge Rd., near Tom's Place, that had me salivating. Now with the market drop, it's gotten more affordable I guess, but that's all relative isn't it?

Yeah, one aspect of Bishop's location is that in the winter with multiple Sierra passes closed it's a long, out-of-the-way drive to "civilization" in CA...so I guess I'd head north to the Carson Valley for that in the winter.

Regarding the housing market, I've compared Bishop prices to Bend's, and though prices have plummeted everywhere Bishop's are still higher than Bend's (mostly the CA-effect, I think). After leading the nation in home-price appreciation (%) a few years ago, Bend has led the nation in %-depreciation recently. From balloon-peak to bust-valley, median home prices in Bend have lost half their value!
Makes us proud to be trendsetters! :rolleyes:
(personally, my home is paid for, my needs are modest...so at worst I'd have a small mortgage in the Owens Valley for a similar home)

Attachments

• Bend Tops Depreciation.pdf
    30.4 KB · Views: 111
Well because he mentioned the possibility of living on the Nevada side of the border :rolleyes:

The photo was of Genoa, Italy. Sorry, guess my typical sarcastic remark was a bit of a stretch on that one. :unsure:

The photo was of Genoa, Italy. Sorry, guess my typical sarcastic remark was a bit of a stretch on that one. :unsure:

Hey I got it, Ted. :D

Although I only briefly stayed there, I really enjoyed Lone Pine. Funky little town, friendly folks, lots of movie history. The town just had a nice feel to it, maybe a bit of kitsch, but good all the same.
Alabama Hills, Mt. Whitney, Death Valley, arches all so close by.

I'd tend to think living in NV (assuming you liked your home there) would be worth it from the taxation perspective of things verse CA.

Property taxes are high there to help make up the for the income tax. Here is a listing for CA, AZ & NV.

Attachments

• TAX RATES by STATE.doc
    35 KB · Views: 132

Ted, my friend, I got it too. I have only been to one of the two Genoas, guess which one. We are a surprisingly sophisticated bunch here..........even opera was mentioned today.

Property taxes are high there to help make up the for the income tax. Here is a listing for CA, AZ & NV.

It doesn't actually say what the tax rate is, now you have me curious what is it? Gonna have to be a lot to out pace cali's state tax, plus higher sales tax, and 1% value property tax.

Back
Top Bottom