Load range C or E ?

Mickey Bitsko

Is it safe to say that most "tc" trucks are riding on 10ply tires as opposed to 6 ply tires ?

For those of us who spend time on rough, rocky two-track, the answer would be "yes." Having cut sidewalls in the past, I prefer the added protection of load range E tires.

Mickey Bitsko said:
Is it safe to say that most "tc" trucks are riding on 10ply tires as opposed to 6 ply tires ?

I guess I am going to have to ask the question... What's a "tc" truck? My assumption is that stands for truck camper, but I am not sure.

I have load range E Toyo tires on my Ranger that at the present only has a canopy, and I am running the Ford recommended inflation.

Mickey Bitsko said:
Kinda figured, I would imagine you air them down from the recommended 70-80 psi ?
70 psi is too hard a ride for me on the road so I run them at 50 or so. They can be deflated more off pavement in rocks or sand although I don't often do. I carry a 12v pump, a plug kit, a range E spare, and a high lift jack just in case.

I'd be interested in hearing what others ride on and carry.

Mickey, I'm going to go against the norm here and confess I run 31 x 10.5 x 15 load range C AT tread tires on our Ford Ranger. Been carrying our camper on trips for 105,000 miles now. Our blog will illustrate where and what types of roads we drive. We go wherever we want. No recommendation intended, only a statement of our personal experience.

E-range and 45/50lbs here for everyday running. I don't mess with the pressure to much anymore, although in the past when I was working in the boonies all the time I did-I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age and try not to put myself in those places where I need to inflate/deflate unless I really have too! Pretty much the same back up as you Stew (handy man, repair kits and pump), except I picked up one of those 4 ton jacks( got a good deal on a sale) as sort of a back up!

Smoke

ski3pin said:
Mickey, I'm going to go against the norm here and confess I run 31 x 10.5 x 15 load range C AT tread tires on our Ford Ranger. Been carrying our camper on trips for 105,000 miles now. Our blog will illustrate where and what types of roads we drive. We go wherever we want. No recommendation intended, only a statement of our personal experience.
Thanks ski, I have read your blog and seen many of the same places in my younger years.
I'm leaning toward Cooper AT-3's Load range C , one of the few Decent tire co. that offer "C", I don't think I'm hauling around that much weight to justify 10 ply tires, though i'm not afraid to tackle a little rougher road at times.
Don't know if the rolling weight makes much difference from Standard load rated tire and the 6 ply, but SL and 10ply probably.
Thanks all for your input..

Mickey

When we traded trucks and got the 2002 Tundra it came with 4 new Goodyear Wrangler "C" rated LT tires.
I run 45/50 rear 40 front.Have had good service. I think IMO most important thing is make sure you get "truck" tires not the
"P" metric that come on a lot of new trucks. We don't do heavy off road but more forest/gravel roads and the tread pattern gives good grip plus not much noise over the road.
Frank

With a big heavy diesel I can't imagine running anything other than E rated tires. I run 80 psi on the street. For normal dirt roads I won't even bother to air down. Now that does make for a stiff ride. I've experimented with lower pressures on the street but I've found lower and it begins to wander and do other unpleasant things. I'd rather it go straight down the road and put up with a stiffer ride.

When I finally get my CO2 tank I'll probably air down a bit more often.

You didn't mention what truck you have...
But if your truck came with C rated tires and you are at or above your GVWR you could upgrade to D Range tires as a compromise....

The cooper tires havent been a favorite with the heavy overlander types. Seems like most people have migrated back to BFG due to too many flats with the coopers. I like the coopers for the lighter suvs but I havent seen a single good report about them from people doing big trips in heavier vehicles.

smlobx said:
You didn't mention what truck you have...
But if your truck came with C rated tires and you are at or above your GVWR you could upgrade to D Range tires as a compromise....
I have a Ford Ranger w/4wc Eagle, The stock truck tires are SL or "P", just too soft with the camper on full time. In summer
50/50 FS roads and hiway.

We have load range "D" on our Tacoma- BFG AT. They have been great- about 40,000 miles on this set so far and lots of tread left. Run at 45 psi most of the time- good stable ride and not too harsh. The aggressive tread is surprisingly quiet on the highway.

We run Goodyear code e with 35 Psig. tire dealer recommended this pressure. Nice ride. We have 20k miles on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I upgraded to BFG AT-KO E's in 2012 and man, did they last a long time. I just replaced them with KO-II's which are improved with better sidewall tread and the re-introduction of Winter siping, they handle icy and snowy roads great, I was missing them in the 1st set.

I do run them at 45 in the front and 55 in the back on an 05 Tacoma that is heavily modified and has a GVWR of just short of 6,000 pounds ( Medium and large format film camera systems for work ).

I get into some pretty nasty off road so load range E tires are pretty much a must at this point.

Kodachrome said:
I upgraded to BFG AT-KO E's in 2012 and man, did they last a long time. I just replaced them with KO-II's which are improved with better sidewall tread and the re-introduction of Winter siping, they handle icy and snowy roads great, I was missing them in the 1st set.

I do run them at 45 in the front and 55 in the back on an 05 Tacoma that is heavily modified and has a GVWR of just short of 6,000 pounds ( Medium and large format film camera systems for work ).

I get into some pretty nasty off road so load range E tires are pretty much a must at this point.
Thank you , I'm probably going to get the c rated for my needs, but one question , does going to these heavier tires affect your overall mpg's ?

I run the Cooper AT/3's in the E rating. Typically 50lbs both front and rear., occasionally air down but not often. They get rotated every time the oil gets changed and so far are holding up great

Didn't notice any change in MPG when I went to the new shoes but the camper went on about the same time so there were lots of moving parts at that time.

Back
Top Bottom