Lockable Hawk Propane Door Latch - Suggestions?

GCS03

Considering replacing the propane door latch on my 2014 Hawk to something that can be locked. Would hate to come out and find by propane bottles gone. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing recently when we parked our camper for 4 days in San Francisco. I couldn't help wondering why the water tank door is locked but the propane tank door isn't. Fortunately our propane didn't get stolen but I'll be following this post for ideas. I don't think anyone is going to steal, or poison, our water but I'm imagine 2 propane bottles would be worth a couple of bucks to some poor down and out fellow.

Shadyapex said:
I was wondering the same thing recently when we parked our camper for 4 days in San Francisco. I couldn't help wondering why the water tank door is locked but the propane tank door isn't. Fortunately our propane didn't get stolen but I'll be following this post for ideas. I don't think anyone is going to steal, or poison, our water but I'm imagine 2 propane bottles would be worth a couple of bucks to some poor down and out fellow.
Water tank locks so nobody can tamper with your water supply.
Propane door does not lock so the tanks are easily accessible in an emergency and so ferry staff can check the tanks are off if needed.

I will personally never put a lock on my propane door. It's easy enough to add a lock to the tanks themselves.

Yup second on not locking the propane door. If your vehicle is on fire or stuck near another fire emergency, getting to the tank would be impossible without the key.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

My tank (old style tank) is tied down with a regular bolt and I hope a thief doesn't have a wrench. With the flimsy doors I would not be concerned with emergency personnel not being able to access the propane tank in an emergency, finding it would be the problem. I think labeling the propane compartment would be way more important than whether its locked or not. Westfalia campers have their propane tanks tucked up under the chassis, talk about hard to find.

Double check with Department of Transportation about the legality of a locking compartment.

Copied from elsewhere, RVIA, ODOT and NFA prohibit locks on those doors. True or not, you can do the research.

Bill D said:
Water tank locks so nobody can tamper with your water supply.
Propane door does not lock so the tanks are easily accessible in an emergency and so ferry staff can check the tanks are off if needed.

I will personally never put a lock on my propane door. It's easy enough to add a lock to the tanks themselves.
Thanks, hadn't thought of that. I guess the next time I leave my rig in the city I'll rig a chain/cable and pad lock instead. That makes total sense, thanks for the insight.

I guess I lost my previous post on this...picked up my new Hawk yesterday. Door on propane compartment is very, very flimsy to say the least.

A coat hanger could rip the door off...lock to keep prying eyes out of compartment but a prying screw driver would pop it open in a heart beat..

What ACE said makes sense. In case of fire you would want to shut off propane or if possible remove cylinders...in a big hurry.

But I could be wrong... ;)

Phil

Wallowa said:
I guess I lost my previous post on this...picked up my new Hawk yesterday. Door on propane compartment is very, very flimsy to say the least.

A coat hanger could rip the door off...lock to keep prying eyes out of compartment but a prying screw driver would pop it open in a heart beat..

What ACE said makes sense. In case of fire you would want to shut off propane or if possible remove cylinders...in a big hurry.

But I could be wrong... ;)

Phil
I suspect you're not wrong. I'll use a bicycle lock next time I have to leave the rig parked in a questionable area. But in the 6 years that we've had the camper this is the first time I've wondered/worried about theft. Usually we're out in places where this isn't such a concern. Unattended in downtown San Francisco for 4 days did give me some pause, however, even though the parking facility was billed as "secure." I understand the reasoning behind not using a locking door now, as flimsy as it (the door) is.

The other thing I would think is that with a million BBQ propane tanks on patio decks everywhere, a truck camper propane tank is probably of slightly less value then you think.

northshorehenry said:
The other thing I would think is that with a million BBQ propane tanks on patio decks everywhere, a truck camper propane tank is probably of slightly less value then you think.
I suspect you're right. But some of the folks roaming around the lot where I left my rig in San Fran for 4 days left me thinking,,,,,they're living on what they can scrounge from one day to the next. It was pretty sad and I gave everybody who had their hand out a few bucks.

northshorehenry said:
Very true and I think a lot of things get blown out of proportion and over-scrutinized on forums, but 10lb tanks are expensive and it would be a pain in the butt to find one that fits on a camping trip.

Right now mine aren't locked up, but it's a project I intend to take on this summer.

I'm not going to go overboard, but like others I'm going to make it so you can't just walk away with them.

I asked FWC about this shortly after purchase and they said it was "illegal", for reasons posted above and from the agencies listed above. I only carry one of the two bottles and wanted to use the other space for storage of tools, etc.

How are the new ones held in place? On mine you need three wrenches to remove the tank, something I think most low lifes aren't likely to carry around.

I actually had a combination lock on mine propane tank with my prior Hawk.

It worked fine but I agree with the prior comments about forcing open that compartment.
I'm sure I could get into it in 2 minutes or less with a hammer or metal bar.

I don't camp in a lot of high traffic areas so I don't think it would be much risk of having a tank stolen.
For this reason, I don't think I would do it again.

But I understand that you would like your tanks secure.

I've heard of batteries being taken from travel trailers but propane tanks are often heavy and awkward to carry around.

Maybe you could change out your porch light to one with a motion light as a means of security instead?
This would provide some security and still be safe to open in case of fire, etc...

I lock my tanks and my door - they are 180 CDN to replace - vehicles very rarely go on fire - and if they do the gas tank is the big concern. Lock smith put one on for 30 bucks - I park in isolated places all the time and leave the truck for days - it's a 30 dollar deterrent albeit not secure.

PS if your rig is on fire get everyone out and away - let it burn - fiddling with propane tanks will get you killed - heroes only survive in the movies.

Just my 2 cents - be safe

Back
Top Bottom