Locking the propane compartment

Well, I made a specific trip just for propane. If I had been heading out on the road I'd have had tools along. But yes, I was pretty embarrassed not to have any.

I replaced every exterior lock on my camper with a tubular ock from these guys.

http://www.ch751.com/

I was super impressed with them, their locks and ease of installing them. No need to worry about every RV key in the world being able to open compartments on my camper. Too many zombies out there!

Good idea to lock the propane tank within the compartment. Thanks. That is now on my to-do list. :)
I put a lock on the flimsy door on my Alaskan previously, but I don't have any faith in that door. About all it does is keep someone from viewing if the (expensive horizontal) tank is present. (Ok, yes, lighter IS better, but....)

Just so you know..... Trail heads near urban areas in some parts of the country are notorious for break-ins to vehicles, and stripping anything of any value, including, on rare occasions, metals (for example, aluminum folding stairs).

Decades ago, for a few years, I used to take theft reports in SoCal (when drug addiction theft was rampant). Plus, I had my own front door kicked in, and house pilfered, about the same time. Also, there have been other, more recent similar events in my life, and in other peoples lives that I know. So, yes, I am am paranoid. But I have earned paranoia the hard way, and it is mine to keep. :)
I guess getting ripped off pisses me off so bad that I go out of my way at trying to avoid it.

Edit: thanks for sharing the knowledge on the commonality of compartment locks!!

i remember when there were rumors about a round Bic pen barrel being all that was needed to pick open a Kryptonite barrel lock... ?

deethe said:
i remember when there were rumors about a round Bic pen barrel being all that was needed to pick open a Kryptonite barrel lock... ?
Not a rumor on the old Kryptonite and the cheap KO locks. I tried on my old expensive Kryptonite and it worked, just might work on the propane locks.

kmacafee said:
Many thanks to BWHT4x4 -- I ordered locks from ch751 and product and install was great.
What size locks did your order?
I did a replacement with a keyed lock and it was a little too short to work.

Dr J -- if you go their website they have an order form with all the specs of the various sizes. I simply removed the original locks and followed their instructions -- there are a couple of different measurements needed. All the locks were a little different but the order form made it easy. I also got the lock covers and backing plates.

Here is the form: http://www.ch751.com/documents/order_form.pdf

You can order online -- I got them in less than a week.

kmacafee said:
Dr J -- if you go their website they have an order form with all the specs of the various sizes. I simply removed the original locks and followed their instructions -- there are a couple of different measurements needed. All the locks were a little different but the order form made it easy. I also got the lock covers and backing plates.

Here is the form: http://www.ch751.com/documents/order_form.pdf

You can order online -- I got them in less than a week.
That is one nice sizing web page.
Everything that is need, right there.
Sure wish I had it when I was looking to get my locking latch.
Thanks.

Hmmm...just got my new Hawk yesterday...propane storage is in back to left of door. Storage door is flimsy to say the least.

Guys why lock it? Seriously, that door could be ripped off in about two seconds with a coat hanger!

Yes, a lock would discourage prying eyes but not a prying screw driver....what am I missing?

Phil

I put a lock on mine - mostly to make it a little less convenient. But anyone who wants something will get it. How tight can you lock a window?

A better plan might be to just label the propane door with something like this:
73kxvn.jpg

Might keep the average dope fiend away :cautious:

Back
Top Bottom