Long Camper In Shortbed Pickup?

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member
Whats the concensus of putting an 8' camper in a 6.5' bed? Good or bad idea? With the tailgate down 8' will fit no problem, I just worry that its a bad combo. I've seen pics of this on ATCs site and I think the FWCs site as well and I know most of the large hardsided campers overhang the rear a few feet anyhow.

Does the extra space of a grandby come in handy vs the Hawk models? I can't see there being much difference living space wise, but it seems like a grandby would have a lot more storage.

Kevo

The extra space is great and if you dont care about dirt roads tearing up the tail gate its a really nice combo. I had a Ranger on my T100 and loved the extra room and the "porch" the tail gate provides. If you go to Canada that is just about the only set up you see.

I had a Hawk, and then a Grandby on my older 1997 Ext. Cab, short bed, Ford F-150.

It worked well. I had a set of "E" rated tires and a stiff set of over-load springs on it.

It handled great and got us anywhere we wanted to go.

The Hawk Model that came on the truck when I bought it, sure fit & looked better.

But with a wife & 2 kids, the Grandby we already owned when we bought the truck, was better suited for our needs at the time. We sold the Hawk Model that came with the truck when we bought it, and used our original Grandby instead.

If you are planning on towing something, the short bed camper, on a short bed truck might be the best way to go.

If you put a long bed camper on a short bed truck, you might (might?) need a hitch extension for better turning clearance.

If you have family and kids, the longer camper will give you a little more wiggle & storage room inside.

================================================================================================

Whats the concensus of putting an 8' camper in a 6.5' bed? Good or bad idea? With the tailgate down 8' will fit no problem, I just worry that its a bad combo. I've seen pics of this on ATCs site and I think the FWCs site as well and I know most of the large hardsided campers overhang the rear a few feet anyhow.

Does the extra space of a grandby come in handy vs the Hawk models? I can't see there being much difference living space wise, but it seems like a grandby would have a lot more storage.

Kevo

Attachments

• Dsc00262.jpg
    Dsc00262.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 381
  • Dsc00268.jpg
    Dsc00268.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 415
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 349
Seems to work well and we like the extra room.

Attachments

• 163024863_Sd3fU-O.jpg
    163024863_Sd3fU-O.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 551
  • 181175247_mBtL9-O.jpg
    181175247_mBtL9-O.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 505
  • 181171222_rWgjr-O.jpg
    181171222_rWgjr-O.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 397
As a Hawk owner I never cease to be amazed at how HUGE the 8' models seem when i look inside. The difference is notable. As to whether the long camper on a short bed configuration will work, only you can decide.

Kevo

I have a Grandby on a short bed Dodge and love it. It does require you to be careful how you load it since the CG is behind the rear wheels. The extra space over a Hawk really allows you to do a lot more, and have more storage space. I took the rear "Closet" and installed a microwave in it, shelved the area under, and use it as a pantry. In The extra space between the galley counter and front wall, I installed a Engel 45 Freezer, and in the storage space along the front wall, I installed 2 group 31 batteries and a 1.5KW inverter, and a smart charger. I still have room to store about a dozen small propane bottles, a Coleman Lantern, and a bunch of canned food. In a hawk, I would not have been able to do any of the above. I've had the camper all over, and have not had any damage to the tailgate while it's down...it does get dirty, but that's what soap is for.

Attached is a picture of the rig in Death Valley.

Attachments

• Shortbed.jpg
    Shortbed.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 1,006

Back
Top Bottom