Long overdue getaway

craig333

Riley's Human
Good thing I didn't need SAR. I told my dad I was going to be in the Sierras north of 80. Instead I was on 395 to the Burcham Flat Rd. I tried to get to Lobdell Lake but probably within a mile or so there was truck sucking snow. Not wanting to dig myself out I passed on that and found a nice dead end road. The truck has some new pinstriping now. One of those roads where you go "I should turn around now" but there isn't anywhere to turn around. At least I had a reward at the end of the road.

Finished the Burcham Flat road on the east side of Walker. Absolutely amazing how many houses survived the fire. Heck of job saving so many. Sorry for those that didn't make it. I decided to take the Risue Canyon road through Nevada.

It was only after I finished the road I realized I've been on that road before, only going the other direction.

I decided to follow the East Walker River road confident I've never done that one! I pulled over to look at the map and lo and behold another FWC stops to say hello. Where are headed I asked. We don't know they said. That made two of us :) Checked out the campground at the Elbow. Not my kind of place but would be good if fishing the river was your thing. I thought about the fishing/fisherpeople enough I didn't even realize when I crossed into Nevada.

It wasn't until I hit the Nine mile ranch that I realized just how historical this road is. I seem to be missing some pics at this point. Riley was very unhappy I wouldn't let him out to chase the deer.

I came to a four way intersection. Bodie to the right, Hawthorne straight ahead so even thought it was unmarked the left must be my turn. Oops. My turn was back by the Nine mile ranch :( Passed the Borealis mine https://www.mining-technology.com/projects/borealis-gold-project-nevada/ before hitting the switchbacks heading down into Hawthorne. Some huge and presumably heavy mining equipment heading up the road.

Once making a mistake like this would have made me upset. Now I just shrug it off. Oh well, onto Yerington. Heading back into the hills I ran across the Walker River State Recreation Area. Given the time constraints I opted to camp here. It looks brand new. I was surprised to find out its been open four years. Water and electric hookups. Showers. I headed out in the morning and considered finding another camping spot until I caught the weather forecast. High winds were forecast so I opted to just head on home. It was good to get out now that things on the home front are settling down. Time to go out and chisel the dog drool off the truck :)

Some of my best trips in the FWC was when we did not know where we were going. Going to have to check out the Walker River State Recreation Area.

A hunderd years ago when I was in college I drove a little BMW 1600 car out from Virginia to visit some or other grad school in CA.

Inadventently I traveled up to Bodie to enjoy the history.

Upon leaving I decided to head East ( Virginia, right ?) and followed some little road down from Bodie all the way down to the valley floor in Nevada....I guess.

I remember there were some places where the little car would just fit between boulders either side of the road.

I finally made it home.

DG

After googling the SRA I see its divided up into four areas. The one I stayed at besides being the RV park, I presume is also the park headquarters.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Nice quick trip Craig.
Trying to follow your trip route.
Not having total luck.
Thanks for the post.
Frank
No wonder. Took me a while to Google Earth it. It wasn't at the ranch where I was supposed to turn. I was going the right way until the walker river road took a left and I went right towards Hawthorne. Some of the intersections are marked well and others aren't marked at all.

Nice trip Craig! Thanks for letting us tag along. It is quite the drop down from Lucky Boy Pass across the Wassuk Range down to Hawthorne, isn't it? We have not yet seen that new campground you mention.

Back
Top Bottom