Longer shocks with airbags on a Tacoma?

Nosmo

I just destroyed my shocks on the Racetrack road in Death Valley. I have an Eagle on a 07 Tacoma.

I think the shocks overextended because the airbags increased the height of the bed.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, what shocks did you upgrade to?

I think I need longer travel (4 inches more?) and heavier duty shocks.

The TRD version of Toyota trucks comes with Bilstein shocks. Our camper was on a 2000 Tundra TRD that has done Racetrack Road a couple of times, once at high enough speed to drift through the turns. Never had any problems with the shocks. Our new Tundra is not a TRD. The stock shocks are designed for paved roads. Haven't changed the shocks yet but plan to before the summer hits and we start hitting those washboarded roads again. I plan to go with an upgraded set of Bilsteins again.

I just destroyed my shocks on the Racetrack road in Death Valley. I have an Eagle on a 07 Tacoma.

I think the shocks overextended because the airbags increased the height of the bed.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, what shocks did you upgrade to?

I think I need longer travel (4 inches more?) and heavier duty shocks.

With my Hawk on my F150, the Air Lift airbags are at best able to restore the original ride height. Your Eagle must be lighter? If your airbags are bringing the rear too high, try using less air pressure. And, your shocks may have just been due for replacement. I've just ordered Bilstein 5100 shocks to replace the rear stock shocks. Did Racetrack road last April; lots a rocks and bumps. Planning to go to Eureka Dunes around April 26-27 if not too hot; then back to eastern Sierra for fishing.
Dave H
06 Hawk, 05 F150 4x4
Mill Valley, CA

Back
Top Bottom