Looking at new Alaskans

I think any repairs or even a complete build/rebuild like my endless project just "resets the rot clock"

It'll be done ripperj....my first redo took 2 years...plus a llittle

I don't know if I'm ready for another 40 years in one though......

but my son is getting our 10' NCO....4th generation to have it.... ;)

I know it will be done, I just don't ever plan on doing it (or another) again.
The next on will be aluminum and composite

Already posted in another thread, but seems appropriate here as well. I have a new aluminum F150 and wondering if anyone has put the new 6.5-foot Alaskan on a half-ton truck - if so, how is the ride and can the half-ton handle it (the new F150 has a much bigger payload than the old ones - mine is 2200 lb)?

Thanks,
Greg

I picked up my new Alaskan this fall and am thoroughly pleased after living in it for four months. Mine is on a one ton dodge 4x4 with a custom flatbed. Bryan built the usual camper out to the edge of the bed. The floor plan is unchanged except for my having more storage. Everything works. Nothing shakes apart. All components are tried and true. If you have any specific questions just ask. I camped in a much loved Syncro Westfalia for 25 years, bought an XP and dumped it at a loss in 6 months, and have at last found my perfect camper in the Alaskan.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Bobbi, a couple of pics of the new camper would be great! I bet it looks sweet on the flatbed. What is the coldest overnight temperature so far? How did you feel with the warmth up in the cab over bed? I'm wondering how much warmer the non-cabover is vs. cabover.

Enelson,
Coldest so far was minus 6 degrees F. The furnace is the usual that Bryan installs, but I carry two propane tanks. Works fine even with the top up, but I leave it on the coldest setting, about 55. One night is was 8 degrees and I had run out of propane so I left the top down and bundled up.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1452702968.717247.jpg

Now I need a horse trailer to match.

I do a lot of desert camping. The awnings help keep the camper and the dog cool. The a.c. on top is so that I can enjoy short trips around my home state of Florida to go fishing. (It is the first time I've had a camper with an a.c.) The whole rig costs about as much as my house, which I sold to buy it (or more precisely, to buy this truck, flatbed, and an XP). That is why it broke my heart when the XP turned out to be such a dud. All that I have left of XP is this flatbed. Alaskan was able to build onto it after seeing it once and taking measurements and pictures. Less than three months later, voila!, the camper of my dreams, and my retirement home as well. All is well that ends well. Anyone selling a two horse bumper pull?

Wow very cool build. I'd like to know about your solar choices and some inside pics pleeeese :)

Alaskan hard wired and hard mounted a flat 120 panel on the roof. That is enough to keep my two house batteries charged even when stationary for a week or more. The two Ram batteries have an isolator switch but I usually leave everything connected. I also have a portable Zamp 120 panel that plugs into the trailer wiring jack and which I aim at the sun when needed. I run two refrigerators, l.e.d. Lighting, fans, pump, and the thermostat/fan for the propane furnace. Also powers the hydraulics that lift the shell. I've never owned a generator but Bryan says a Small Honda would power the little a.c. unit. The only time I plugged in to shore power was during several days of bleak snowy weather. Everything is stock from Alaskan.

I looked at the 8.5' cabcover at the ISE show in Denver today. The reconditioned leather cushions are really nice. The overall layout was really good too. Though I'm a forward dinette so I expected I would like it. The furnace was reasonably quite since its buried behind the toilet. There seemed to be ample storage. The camper is wide at 88" overall width!

Pictures tomorrow. My layout is custom in that I only wanted one bench (to seat two people) with a table in front of it. Therefore I can only sleep however many people can fit in the cabover bed with me! Across from the bench seat, where you would usually find another bench, is a storage cabinet that goes all the way to the edge of the flatbed, and has three shelves. I use it for clothes. I have a large fridge, two burner stove, cassette toilet, large sink. The extra space from having a flatbed is used to extend all cabinets deeper. Therefore I have plenty of inside storage, a water tank of about 50-60 gallons, two propane tanks, a 5 gallon grey water tank, furnace, hot water heater. The floor space looks the same as a slide-in model.

Back
Top Bottom