Looking at new Alaskans

I have thought about getting one with just one half of the front dinette. For me it would be to house lockable storage for my camera gear. I don't know that I would use the dinette bed very often. Not too many people want to follow a wildlife photographer around unless they are also a camera nut :)

Florida said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1452703028.616294.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West
I love this set up. I have been planning to purchase a Alaskan camper soon. I also live in Florida and would love to see your set up. what part of Florida do you live in

The narrow (1 person each side of table) front dinette allows quite a bit more storage space.
These are pretty much a 2 person (adults) max rig, anyway.

I have been researching campers for some time now with the expectation I will be getting something in the next year. Like many of the others posting here my current short list is FWC, Hallmark, and Alaskan. Northern Lite was also on my list, but they are the most expensive and the others offer more customization. One important consideration that I have in choosing a camper is having a place I can ride out a lightning storm in. I recently came across this conclusion regarding fiber glass and canvas pop ups that sure made an Alaskan camper stand out.

[SIZE=12pt]"A full aluminum skinned trailer is the safest in a storm, but a fiberglass skin trailer offers much less protection. If it has metal framing on 16" centers, you're probably still reasonably safe from lightning. However, an RV built with fiberglass over a wood frame or a total ribbed fiberglass frame will offer ZERO protection from a lightning strike. And remember that in a canvas pop-up camper you're not only in danger from a lightning strike, but also falling branches from any overhead trees. "[/SIZE]

So I am hopeful an Alaskan Camper's aluminum skin does the trick, and at the very least offers the same level of protection as being in a car. This is an interesting topic that I have spent a fair amount of time looking into both in terms of what to do when you are out hiking as well as having a camper that offers some level of protection. After all a camper sits pretty high and lightning favors the highest object in a given area. The one thing I am still looking into is does the split top and bottom undermine or defeat the "Faraday cage" effect.

The other consideration is what truck is required. The smaller and more fuel efficient the better, both in terms of off road access and range. Four Wheel Campers and a Tacoma win in that regard. Since an Alaskan is the choice I keep coming back to, I am trying to figure out the appropiate truck with the best mileage. I like the Doge Ram's suspension and abillity to order it with air bags. I am also interested in any thoughts regarding a Ford 3.5 Eco Boost, including the upgraded/new version coming out for 2017.

I don't know if putting an Alaskan on an F150 is a very good idea. I know the aluminum version has higher payload as I was initially thinking of them but I would seriously consider a 250 if I was getting an Alaskan. I am planning on a 250 for whatever camper I get. Hard to have to much truck; many here will say go 350 and in lots of cases they would be right :)

Happyjax said:
I don't know if putting an Alaskan on an F150 is a very good idea. I know the aluminum version has higher payload as I was initially thinking of them but I would seriously consider a 250 if I was getting an Alaskan. I am planning on a 250 for whatever camper I get. Hard to have to much truck; many here will say go 350 and in lots of cases they would be right :)
Typically, it's about $900 difference between the F250 and F350 of similar trim levels. Resale on the F350 is usually higher. Either would do the job for you...

Happyjax said:
I don't know if putting an Alaskan on an F150 is a very good idea. I know the aluminum version has higher payload as I was initially thinking of them but I would seriously consider a 250 if I was getting an Alaskan.
Wandering Sagebrush said:
Typically, it's about $900 difference between the F250 and F350 of similar trim levels. Resale on the F350 is usually higher. Either would do the job for you...
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I have been leaning towards a Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500. I think the 2500 with the coil springs and air bags in the back would be my preference over air bag and leaf springs in the back on the 3500. In the Ram's case a 6.4 V8 looks to be the best way to go, as I am shying away from diesei due to the premium cost and questions associated with all of the smog technology on the new diesels.

The reason I am taking another look at Ford is the possible increased fuel efficiency of the Eco Boost 3.5 over existing V8's in addition to the aluminum body/increased payload that Happyjax mentioned. Next year's 2017 redesign of this engine, the "high output" Eco Boost 3.5 will at the very least be available in a Raptor, and I would expect might finally be an option with the Heavy Duty F250/F350. I would expect this engine to have more than enough power to carry an Alaskan camper, and hopefully together with the new 10 speed transmission get a couple of more miles per gallon than the large V8's under load. I have no idea how much a Raptor will cost, but it seems this years MSRP was $50K which is a premium price but it does have wothwhile upgrades, a six inch wider body, and a stronger frame than an F150.

For those interested in engine design, here is one of the more complete articles discussing the modifcation of an EcoBoost 3.5, which I think sheds some light on how Ford might have achieved additional power with the new design. It also highlights some other aspects specific to and modifications possible with the F150. I am with Sagebrush on going with an F250/350 as a rule, but if the question becomes how do I get the most powerful fuel efficient engine and advanced drivetrain and it is only available in a Raptor then I have to ask myself if there is a way to make that work. My hope is that the upgrades on the Raptor including the redesigned "high output" EcoBoost 3.5 will be standard or available options on the heavy duty models.

http://www.full-race.com/articles/what-is-ecoboost.html

To follow up, Ford will not be offering the EcoBoost in the 2017 Super Duty lineup, and it looks like the Raptor only comes in a short bed. So much for those ideas ....

Freebird said:
The narrow (1 person each side of table) front dinette allows quite a bit more storage space.
These are pretty much a 2 person (adults) max rig, anyway.
We seat 4 at the table (adults) cozy...front dinette

and I have camped for weeks with 4....2 adults and 2 children....now that the kids are grown they do go camping with us now and then....2 inside the camper and 2 separate tents :D...but all cooking,dishes,eating....is done in the camper...4 adults

My biggest concern with the F350 is it's considered a commercial vehicle by many states and some insurance companies. I don't really want to battle over my not being a commercial vehicle....

Here in CT I believe 10,000# is the magic number, above that and Registration fees go way up. Ford seems to know this and some shortbed extended cab 350s I looked at '12/13 time frame had 9999# gvws

When I was looking at them I saw a 9900 package option. Guess that was what it was for.....

Rusty-
The "narrow dinette" option is NOT wide enough for 2 adults on each side of the table (front dinette floorplans).
Not standard American sized adults, anyway. Mine is not handy to measure right now, since it is stored indoors away from my home, but I'm guessing both seats are about half the width of the normal 4 person dinette. It is not a common option to find used. I like this feature of my layout a LOT.
It is (to me) more efficient use of space if travel is done as a couple (or less) and entertaining others indoors is not desired/required..

Skutumpah-
Thank you for sharing your information on lightning strikes and how it relates to the safety of the occupants of campers of various construction materials.
Additionally, I'm thinking a TALL camper would be more likely to get hit out on the prairie/flatlands than a short one, so the lowering factor MIGHT come into play?
There is a HUGE height difference between my Northern Lite TC and my Alaskan camper lowered. Would I lower mine in a thunderstorm and ride out the storm laying in the isle? As soon as I thought of it, I would..... :)
BTW- yes, Alaskan campers can be lowered and raised from the inside.

None of any of this had occurred to me before......
I currently live in an area (central WA high desert) where thunderstorms are relatively rare events-one every several years.

Freebird....thanks....I think I see the smaller front dinette pictured on the site.....hadn't noticed that before

that may come in handy.....as my CO remodel continues, my marriage becomes narrower and narrower.. ;)

Freebird said:
Skutumpah-
Thank you for sharing your information on lightning strikes and how it relates to the safety of the occupants of campers of various construction materials.
Freebird - You're welcome, I was afraid folks here might be thinking - who is the loon worried about getting hit by lightning. Every one, particularly off road RV owners who are in remote areas where lightning is a factor should take this seriously. July and August are the time of year when lightning is especially dangerous. The first line of defense is having a safe place to take shelter. Being inside a building with lightning protection is the best, if you are away from a building your car or aluminum skinned rv/camper is good. Put your hands in your lap (as opposed to holding onto the stearing wheel or fussing with the radio or controls on the dash), read a book, and do not stick your head out of the window or stand in the doorway of your camper with one foot on the vehicle and the other on the ground. The latter being great ways to get fried. Park your RV in a low lying area/depression in the terrain where your rv/camper is not the highest object. You want to both be away from the tallest objects in the area, but also in a spot where there are taller objects nearby that lightning is more likely to "choose". Once again it is my understanding that a metal object that completely surrounds you like a car or aluminum skinned RV/Camper where you can be inside and not touching metal connected to the outside is actually pretty safe. The following book is one I recomend to people who spend a lot of time outdoors and in particular find themselves exposed in lightning storm. It is published by Mountaineers Books in Seattle, which is an excellent publisher in your home state.

"Lightning Strikes - Staying Safe Under Stormy Skies"

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/Lightning-Strikes-P296.aspx

Next is a video interview "How to be Safe In A Lightning Storm in an RV":

Finally if you really want to get into this, this is supposedly one of the best books on the subject of lightning protection:

Freebird said:
There is a HUGE height difference between my Northern Lite TC and my Alaskan camper lowered.
Northern Lite sounds like a good quality product and good company (just like Alaskan Campers!) so certainly would welcome your thoughts between the two. Northern Lite makes a big deal about their models being lite and not top heavy, so I am curious what the difference in handling is when you are driving.

Also two things I have read on occasion are related to bugs and water getting inside Alaskans. I will note these seem to be exceptions and or related to not doing proper maintenance, but I would welcome hearing first hand accounts from people that have Alaskans. As far as the bugs go, I am aware of the vulnerabillity that exists during the brief time you are raising the top and before you get the forward panels raised and set in place. I understand there are ways to deal with that if you are in a mosquito swarming area, although I am not sure what the secret trick is. So I am more interested in if bugs particularly mosquitos and no see-ums can find there way in through the weather stripping seals between the top and bottom as well as the top and bottom doors once you are set up. I also read at some point of a complaint of water getting in either during driving or when set up in strong winds. To the extent I have heard this it has been rare and in one of the cases I got the impression the owner had neglected proper maintenance of the seals.

I am here posting because I am leaning towards getting an Alaskan. Right now it is my choice, so I am trying to learn everything I can including any idiosyncracies that come with owning an Alaskan. I also welcome hearing more stories of why people love their Alaskans and why they chose them over the alternatives.

I was very close to buying a new Alaskan 8' Cab over, but ended up going with a Northern Lite 9' 6". The price of the two campers was not far apart, but the NL was more. Our camper's out the door empty weight is 2725 lbs. No air or built in generator. I have a F350 crew cab, long bed.

I really liked the Alaskan, in fact, it was the most comfortable camper I've ever been in. We made two trips to the factory as we went through the decision process. The only thing that influenced us away from the Alaskan was interior room. I think they are well made, sturdy, comfortable and certainly beautiful. Almost yacht like in the interior.

With the Northern Lite on a 5000 mile trip this year, we came in with a trip average of 14 MPG. The truck handled the NL fine, with very little sway. I have added airbags to level the camper side to side as the right side seemed a little heavier. No sway bar on my truck.

Compared to the Grandby that we have just sold, the NL is a moose. It does have a different feel to the drive, but it's no more difficult. I would never take the NL some of the places we took the Grandby, but that is a clearance issue. I'd probably confidently take an Alaskan any place the Grandby would go.

For us, the NL is a mobile cabin, not an expedition rig. The Alaskan would have been a camper that would have gone anywhere I was comfortable taking the truck

Back
Top Bottom