Looking at new Alaskans

Thanks Sagebrush. How do the sleeping areas compare. Did you have a chance to check that out when you visited the factory and was the bed an example of why you felt the Alaskan Camper was so comfortable. I imagine the Northern Lite has a taller interior, did you feel like you were not too cramped in the space that exists in the Alaskan cab over sleeping area?

Wandering Sagebrush said:
With the Northern Lite on a 5000 mile trip this year, we came in with a trip average of 14 MPG.
What engine do you have in your 350? 14mpg sounds pretty good with a larger camper.

The Northern Lite has a true queen sized bed that is North South, where the Alaskan is an East West. I'm not sure of the dimensions on the Alaskan, but I do believe it has a more comfortable mattress. The dinette seating is far more comfortable in the Alaskan. It's not bad in the NL, but luxurious in the Alaskan.

The NL interior is just a bit over 6' 2" to keep overall height down. Neither the Alaskan or the NL felt cramped in the sleeping area, but I like the North South configuration in the NL better. So much easier to make those middle of the night nature calls.

We have the 6.7L diesel, and I tend to keep the speed down to 65 or lower.

nice to see comparisons....a first

Luxurious dinette seating?....what does the northern light look like?

NS vs EW......move the truck... :D ...I know

and now....how do you like the 6.7?....I'm extremely reluctant to turn loose of my 7.3....knowing what Ford has been through lately with diesels.. :oops:

Still interested in hearing some veteran Alaskan owners chime in on bugs and water, hopefully something along the lines of - never had a problem except when setting up, or keeps some bugs out but some manage to crawl in through the gaps and this is how we take care of it - just trying to get the straight scoop whatever it is.

Back to trucks. Sagebrush do you have a locking differential on your F350, and can you lock it and use it in snow on paved roads at speeds over 25mph in 4WD High? On a Dodge 2500 you can only get a limited slip differential on the rear axel, no locker. You can only get locking differentials on the Dodge Power Wagon, front and rear axels which is the way it should be, however you can only lock the differentials in 4WD-Low, so you are left with open diffs front and back in the snow on paved roads or off road regardless in 4WD-High. Not sure what Chevy/GM have to offer regarding limited slip/locking differential configurations.

This is the most interesting 4WD system on a pickup that I have seen so far:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/news/a24741/new-ford-f-150-raptor-gets-a-crazy-combo-awd-4wd-system/

To follow up on my earlier posts regarding fuel efficiency and power here are two articles of interest:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/mpg-or-performance-its-trade-turbos

http://blog.caranddriver.com/what-new-mpg-standards-will-mean-for-heavy-duty-pickups-and-vans/

I'll see if I can answer a couple questions. Yes, I have an electronic locking differential, but have not used it. I'm not sure about the speeds over 25 on pavement.

The Northern lite has side dinette, drivers side. The table is on a side lowering mount, so lots of room. My whine is withe the ergonomics. A bit too straight up and down, whereas the Alaskan is more form fitting. See both web sites to get a better idea. I love the 6.7 and new transmission! Like you, I was reluctant to part with my 7.3 that I had for over 16 years, but I'm very happy with the new truck. It's a bit underpowered, only 400+ horse, and 800+ foot pounds of torque. ;) I waited for a few years on the new engine, checking with my service department. They were upbeat about the new Ford built engine.

BTW, from Portland to Medford today, 13.7 MPG including the passes.

Have never had a problem with bugs getting in...replace the pirelli about every 5-7 years...and as for water...keep up the caulking...and do it right...no problemo....

I did have an issue when I first mounted the Rieco jack brackets on the NCO....used polyurethane adhesive and it broke free...but just enough to allow water in to the plywood...unseen...until I pulled up the seats for a cleaning....CPES on the ply took care of it.

mounting some new rieco brackets on the CO right now...using 3M 5200....permanent adhesive rated for below the waterline

I'm watching the 6.7, I'll be watching for a couple years more.....I think the 7.3 will make a couple more ;)

BTW.....Santa Rosa to Hillsboro....17.9 ave... :D

Re: NL vs Alaskan campers.
Well, I'm biased, I prefer the Alaskan. I really like the low profile under way, plus low cg. I don't mind the bit of extra dinking around to raise/ lower the camper top.
However, my CEO/CFO/SO/DW :) much prefers the higher ceiling of the NL, particularly over the much wider bed*. She is a bit claustrophobic (if you'd just close your eyes... :)), and LIKES the headroom above the bed. She also likes the NL wet bath with its abbreviated shower.
My NL is a 90s with an E/W RV (read shorter) queen bed. It is light weight for its size. It sits on about a 12" basement, so height is ~11'3" including the roof AC, and headwinds DO matter.....plus there is a LARGE tall front area to clean bugs off of regularly.

Neither is a bad choice, just totally different philosophys/favors.
With the TALL NL, and any other tall campers, I would strongly reccommend a DUALLY pickup for side to stability.

If you mostly going to be sitting still camping, the NL would win hands down. If your mostly going to be rolling on the highways, the Alaskan easily wins.... Opinion, of course.

*My Alaskan has the std CO bed width. I reccommend the wider bed.... unless your always solo.

I'm in the midst of that very conversation with my CEO/CFO on our new Alaskan CO....it's a 73 CO...so the cross member isn't cut and there is 6" less room to get in and out of the CO section...it's a standard bed, not the Queen....so...less room...again

I brought it home...it sat for 4 months while I got everything ready to modify it for the new truck....bring it over to the house and jack it up....CEO/CFO makes the grand entrance and crawls up in the CO section....tough crawl....This is when your 25 year old mind meets up with your 70 year old body.....and I'm thinking the body is going to win....Mama is having a hard time getting in the CO...not good news. I then crawled up there....hard time as well

Now, a newer Alaskan, with the queen bed and the additional clearance will be better for sure

I'm going to finish the modification so it'll fit newer trucks...and build a clearance pad to clear the cab... and I think it may be on the market....not quite yet but.....comfort and convenience mean quite a bit more at this age....

Wes will enjoy this, I think he went through the same discovery (Caseboy)

Freebird and Sagebrush thanks for your insights regarding the sleeping area. I spoke to Alaskan today about a North South and my understanding is that either because it would extend too far or the added weight would cause problems with raising and lowering the top. I got the impression they want to insure and preserve the robust design of their campers and that would be pushing it beyond their comfort level. As you mentioned you can ask for a queen size sleeping area (EW), which I will do. The ultimate outdoor sleeping experience regardless of conditions is one of the primary reasons to get a camper so I agree you might as well get as much bed as possible. Glad to hear you like the Alaskan mattress. I also can't wait to try out sitting on the dinette seats, and getting to pick whatever upholstery you want. I have seen (photos of) some nice choices in custom hides and materials that owners have in their Alaskans. I have yet to see the inside of an Alaskan first hand. I contemplated running a block to see if I could catch one stopped at a red light in Oakland a month or two ago, but did not want to alarm the owner.

Sagebrush good to hear you are happy with your (new?) 6.7 diesel F350. It confirms what I have heard regarding the new engine fixing the bugs that existed in the previous one(s). I was told one of the reasons people are having a trouble with the new diesels regardless of brand is they do not change their urea if the truck is not used much for a period of time. Apparently it goes bad and clogs things up, so I was told you only want to fill it half way unless you are going on a long raod trip and know you are going to be using it up.

So what about getting a flat bed? Any thoughts on that? I am trying to keep this as off road capable as possible, meaning a short wheelbase. By getting a flat bed that would potentially compensate for a shorter camper 7ft. - 8.5ft by increasing the interior width. It does add another variable and expense that I am not sure I want to deal with, but now is the time to consider the options.

Also Rusty it looks like you have a non cab over. I would welcome your thoughts, and any other non cab over owners, on the pros and cons of going with a cab over vs. a non cab over. I think given I am going to get as short a camper as I can stand, having a cab over is pretty much certain.

Right now I have one of each...I've had the NCO for better than 25 years....and the CO is currently being formatted for the 2003 F250 Diesel. Both are vintage 70's models so the inside is a wee bit different than the new ones you're looking at....there is a newer 8' CO for sale in Oakland right now

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/5622854773.html

I'm in Santa Rosa...and the CO will be under construction for a bit yet...The CO is a 10' as well as the NCO.

We had the Alaskan upholstery and mattress replaced by Alaskan (bought used). My wife was not keen on any of the factory fabric options, so Bryan told her to buy whatever fabric she liked from wherever she wanted, and bring it or ship it to them, and they would replace the old fabric with that fabric, so that is what we did. Turned out VERY nice, top sewing/upholstery job. Likely Bryan would do that on a new one, too.

Rusty said:
there is a newer 8' CO for sale in Oakland right now

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/5622854773.html
Rusty thank you for bringing this to my attention. I contacted the seller and had a chance to look at the camper this afternoon. It is the first time I have seen the inside of an Alaskan camper. The camper is a 10 ft. CO and it is in good condition, clean, with some pretty straightforward maintenance work to be done. I like the space you get in a 10 footer, but I think I can live with something shorter and it would be easier to manage off road with a shorter model. One thing interesting about this particular camper is that it is a 1995 camper and apparently pickup truck beds were wider at the tailgate then, than they are now. So this can not fit through a new model truck tailgate/truck bed opening. I know some of you have older Alaskans so I am curious how you handle that. I am leaning towards getting a new truck as the incentives right now are very good and make the prices people are asking for their used pickup trucks look ridiculous.

One thing the seller mentioned is that he was under the impression that a camper with a longer wheelbase and an 8 ft. bed rides better on the highway than a 6.5 ft. bed and shorter wheelbase. Certainly with a 10 ft. Alaskan this would be the case but would a 7 ft. Alaskan handle the same in 6.5 ft bed as an 8.5 ft. Alaskan in an 8 ft. bed on the highway. Off road the shorter the better I would think.

I hope to get up to visit Alaskan Campers this Summer to see the different sizes and latest configuration/accessories. I was just up your way passing through Sebastopol last month, but I only get up there once or twice a year.

Alaskan CUSTOM makes each and every camper for a customer to the CUSTOMER's specifications.
The length you want..... Any length you want in fact.
Interior arrangement is also specified by the customer.

Yes, there are actually limits to things like CO length because of the laws of physics...... But that's fair. Lol

I'm "adjusting" the rear end of a 73' 10'CO right now.....

you take 3" off the passengers side extension (bottom half) right behind the wheel well...it straightens things right up.

This CO had some interesting deviations as well...the passenger side extension was shorter than any other I'd ever seen...so I "adjusted" it to properly fit and use space a little better.

Skutu...call ahead and talk to Bryan to determine what they're working on when you'll be there. Their schedule changes from 8-7.5-10-12...it's always interesting...and you'll see the new facility. That 10' in Oakland was just for a look...there was a bit of damage to the top which someone had "neatly taped"...hard to tell what was under that tape.

If you're buying a new truck....I think Don Wheat, Brian's Dad has one for sale which would fit a new truck...loaded 2010 but it's a 10'....bucks to be saved there...$25k..loaded...ad #1616 on the Alaskan Campers classified section. That's a 40-45k camper loaded

Back
Top Bottom