looking for a new truck

I am with everyone else on the gas mileage issue. You simply can't get above 15 with a 3/4 ton. I have a 1/2 ton Titan that will do up to 20 without a load and no tow. But with a camper only around 14 and if I am towing 5000 lbs (my old boat)then probably 12. The Titan does have 9500 lbs towing capacity (does not take into account a loaded bed).
If gas mileage is really important then go diesel or down to a 1/2 ton.
Is it your daily driver too? That is something to consider.

Home Skillet

I just got back from a trip from Sacramento to Portland and back, 1150 miles on I-5 :mad:

I was driving a company truck, an 05 Dodge quad cab 4x4 with the Hemi, Auto, 4.10 gears. Driving 60-70 mph it averaged about 11-12 mpg. The same truck towing a 5,000# tractor on a trailer weighing about 2,000# got about 6-7 mpg going from Sacramento to Redding. I wouldn't own one.

I just went from a 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd silverado that got about 18 mpg to a 2002 f350 4x4 7.3 diesel that gets about 17 mpg. I really didn't need a 3/4 ton diesel but I covinced myself I needed it, my reasoning was that I didn't want/couldn't afford a newer diesel with all of the new emissions equipment and if I was going to get an older one I wanted to find a clean one with fairly low milage before they all get Beaten, Hacked up, Jacked up or Smokestacked up :D

If you are worried about milage get a 1/2 ton, if you want milage and 3/4 ton, get diesel.

I just got back from a trip from Sacramento to Portland and back, 1150 miles on I-5 :mad:

I was driving a company truck, an 05 Dodge quad cab 4x4 with the Hemi, Auto, 4.10 gears. Driving 60-70 mph it averaged about 11-12 mpg. The same truck towing a 5,000# tractor on a trailer weighing about 2,000# got about 6-7 mpg going from Sacramento to Redding. I wouldn't own one.

I'm not sure which rear end gear set I have in my 03 Dodge quad cab 4x4 with a hemi auto but unloaded going 60-70 I'll get 15-16mph. With the FWC I'll get in the 13s at those speeds (at 80mph I'm high 11s to low 12s). I've never towed with it though.

Diesels sure are nice though. I've got me ear out there though to here feed back on the F-150 3.5L twin turbo direct injection engine now that its in the actual market. The unloaded mpg numbers are nice (19city, 23highway) and its definitely got sweet torque. It'll be interesting to hear how much affect loads/towing have on the numbers or if it'll perform more like a diesel since it has a similar torque profile.

I'm not sure which rear end gear set I have in my 03 Dodge quad cab 4x4 with a hemi auto but unloaded going 60-70 I'll get 15-16mph. With the FWC I'll get in the 13s at those speeds (at 80mph I'm high 11s to low 12s). I've never towed with it though.

Diesels sure are nice though. I've got me ear out there though to here feed back on the F-150 3.5L twin turbo direct injection engine now that its in the actual market. The unloaded mpg numbers are nice (19city, 23highway) and its definitely got sweet torque. It'll be interesting to hear how much affect loads/towing have on the numbers or if it'll perform more like a diesel since it has a similar torque profile.

I forgot to say the truck I was driving was a 3/4 ton.

The new f150's sure look nice.

[/quote]Diesels sure are nice though. I've got me ear out there though to here feed back on the F-150 3.5L twin turbo direct injection engine now that its in the actual market. The unloaded mpg numbers are nice (19city, 23highway) and its definitely got sweet torque. It'll be interesting to hear how much affect loads/towing have on the numbers or if it'll perform more like a diesel since it has a similar torque profile.
[/quote]

Ah yes, I too am very interested in the new F 150 and the 3.5 T. This is the beginning of whats to come in light trucks. Personally I would hold off on spending a big load of cash on a new truck, as there are big changes coming in vehicle design & engine technologies. Ford has given us a little glimpse of whats to come with their new F 150.

Back
Top Bottom