Looking for camping suggestions near RMNP

smlobx

Lost again
We are driving from VA to CO in a couple of weeks to pick up our Hallmark Everest camper just north of Denver.

We were going to camp for a few days in RMNP to shake out the bugs with the new camper but, if I'm reading it correctly all the available sites are already booked! In the off season no less....

So I'm looking for a "Plan B" to spend a few days in the general area where we could do some hiking etc and get to shake out our new camper.

All suggestions welcome.
Thanks.

The last time we visited RMNP, we used NF Olive Ridge Campground on route 7 south of Estes Park without reservations mid-week without difficulty. We found great hiking in the Wild Basin trailhead just north of Olive Ridge Campground in RMNP. Another campground with great hiking is NF Pawnee off route 72 south of Olive Ridge where we stayed with reservations. Your can reach the trails from Pawnee without driving from the campground (or drive to the trailhead) and the trails are as nice as RMNP.

Yeah I love RMNP but, unfortunately, seems like everyone in Northern Colorado does too...

I have no first hand knowledge of these but have heard good things about them. I believe they are run by the local parks and rec.

http://www.evrpd.com/district-facilities/campgrounds

They are not kidding when they say the parking for the popular hiking spots fill up early in the park. Suggest you get an early start and drive to Bear Lake and have breakfast there, then utilize the shuttle.

Moraine Park CG is first-come first-served until they open it for summer in late May, so you can't reserve a site online. Just show up and grab a spot during the off-season.

Stew after reading the website on camping and seeing that all the spots were booked I thought I was SOL but given that you can't make reservations now makes me think you're right...I may just call them up to confirm.

Thanks everyone!

smlobx said:
Stew after reading the website on camping and seeing that all the spots were booked I thought I was SOL but given that you can't make reservations now makes me think you're right...I may just call them up to confirm.

Thanks everyone!
I've been visiting RMNP since the 70s so I pretty much have it wired. If you are planning on doing any hiking you will likely find many trails still snow covered up high but there are many lower hikes that should be fine. Have a great trip!

Back
Top Bottom