Looking for Finch reviews

takesiteasy

Hi, newbie here. I have been reading the forum for a while but have not posted much. I am considering the purchase of a Finch shell to go on my 2011 Tacoma. I like the fact that the Finch model sits within the bed dimension but am wondering about the size for 2 people. We are pretty much minimalist campers and don't plan on filling up the camper with built-in stuff. We will just use it to sleep in, hang out in during bad weather and carry gear while traveling. We plan on having a propane tank to run a catalytic heater and camp stove but that is about it, other than some benches for sitting and maybe a fold up work counter. I am interested in hearing from folks who own a Finch on how it works in practice. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

I do not own a Finch, but I was going to get a Finch before I changed my mind to order an Eagle.

What changed my mind was taping the dimensions out on the floor so I could see the difference in the sizes. I then mocked up some of the storage that I was going to have in the camper. The Eagle simply allowed me to have a better interior space, the extra 10 inches makes a surprising deference.

So my recommendation would be to tape out the dimensions and see what you think.

I do not own a Finch, but I was going to get a Finch before I changed my mind to order an Eagle.

What changed my mind was taping the dimensions out on the floor so I could see the difference in the sizes. I then mocked up some of the storage that I was going to have in the camper. The Eagle simply allowed me to have a better interior space, the extra 10 inches makes a surprising deference.

So my recommendation would be to tape out the dimensions and see what you think.

Overland Hadley, thanks for responding. I have been following your build thread and have learned a lot from it. I'm sure if I get a camper I will use some of your ideas.

I have a pretty good sense of the difference in size. I actually had an Eagle on my truck for a brief time (it was not mine).

I am really interested in hearing from Finch owners about how they like their campers- how they have customized them or not, and how the campers work for them. Some pictures would be great too.

I'll tell you in a few weeks.... Just ordered one at the Denver expo and met everyone from FWC. Chris, Stan and Tom were knowledgable and friendly. My shell will be very basic to start with really only a heater and then we'll see what I end up doing to it. Also, on another note the roof was not that difficult to lift up in my opinion. They didn't have a Finch, but they had a Fleet shell. There was nothing up top, and that's how I plan on keeping the roof anyway. I'm younger, so that could be why I'm ok with no roof lift assist things. One thing I didn't know about the shell model is that on the benches or whatever you want to call them there is a small amount of storage. You don't see the hinge in any of the pictures as it's under the carpet. It's probably only 3 or 4 inches wide, but it would be good for hiding wires or plumbing type stuff. Plus a thief might not look in there because you wouldn't even know there is storage there.

I'm actually in the waiting room killing time waiting for my OME suspension to be put on right now.

I'll tell you in a few weeks.... Just ordered one at the Denver expo and met everyone from FWC. Chris, Stan and Tom were knowledgable and friendly. My shell will be very basic to start with really only a heater and then we'll see what I end up doing to it. Also, on another note the roof was not that difficult to lift up in my opinion. They didn't have a Finch, but they had a Fleet shell. There was nothing up top, and that's how I plan on keeping the roof anyway. I'm younger, so that could be why I'm ok with no roof lift assist things. One thing I didn't know about the shell model is that on the benches or whatever you want to call them there is a small amount of storage. You don't see the hinge in any of the pictures as it's under the carpet. It's probably only 3 or 4 inches wide, but it would be good for hiding wires or plumbing type stuff. Plus a thief might not look in there because you wouldn't even know there is storage there.

I'm actually in the waiting room killing time waiting for my OME suspension to be put on right now.

nyco- congratulations on your purchase. I look forward to hearing your future reports. I'm also curious what you are doing to the suspension. I have to do that as well and have been researching the options- particularly OME vs Deaver springs and the various shock upgrades. Are you doing both the front and rear or just the rear?

I did OME all around. 885's up front because I don't have plans for a bumper. I did the 7 leaf pack in the back - CS047R. I had them put on the timbrens for free since they had to put on the u-bolts anyway. Not that those would be hard to put on, but now was the time do do it easily. We'll see if I need to add any spacers.

Ideas I've seen on here or Expo that I'll probably steal:
vertical bike rack on rear
Instead of a jerry can mounted on the rear that some people have done I'll be putting a composite propane tank outside with a T splitter so I can run catalytic heater inside and have an extension to my grill/stove outside.
some sort of built in cabinets
Down the road probably build out a sink

I did OME all around. 885's up front because I don't have plans for a bumper. I did the 7 leaf pack in the back - CS047R. I had them put on the timbrens for free since they had to put on the u-bolts anyway. Not that those would be hard to put on, but now was the time do do it easily. We'll see if I need to add any spacers.

nyco- sounds like a solid setup. I'm considering adjustable coil over shocks for the front because I may add a second battery under the hood to run lights and accessories in the camper like a fridge. The adjustable shocks seem to allow for changes down the road.

Seems like all the current Finch owners out there are shy. Or maybe they are all out camping instead of looking at the computer. :)

Hey man- just thought I'd post up about my Finch. Ive had it on my 08 Tacoma for about 2 years now. I love this thing! It has taken me from Cabo to Canada. I've honestly put about 700 miles of baja dirt roads on it and I've never had a single serious problem. I get a lot of compliments on the set up. I love the space it has for my girlfriend and I.
I took out the couch and made a dinette. That made a HUGE difference in the functionality of the camper. The couch was useless, it covered the entire side window when up and then there was zero walking room inside when it was down. I did get the extended bed which was a good choice(suggested by Stan), the bed is huge. Honestly, the only time we spend inside the camper is to eat or sleep. The main reason I got the Finch was so I could still use my tailgate as a porch to change out of my wetsuit. We also use it as a seat when we tailgate or post up to the beach to watch the sunset. No offense to anyone else but I dont like the look of a camper hanging out of the back of my bed. It seems like the only thing the extra 10" of the Eagle does is give you a space to store the porta-potti. Anyway, if I had to do it all again I'd stay with the Finch...

The only upgrades I added were the dinette, the lifting struts(major difference), a sliding shelf for the pots and pans, Ride Rite airbags, Tundra Bilsteins in the back and Tacoma long travel Bilsteins in the front.
Hope this helps, let me know if you want me to send you some pics.
-Scott

Sorry I'm just getting my quick review of my Finch posted here.

I have a 2008 Tacoma Extended Cab TRD and 2010 Finch Shell. You can read more about my setup on my build page here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/52153-New-FWC-Finch-Shell-Build-(2008-Tacoma) and see the pics on my WTW gallery on my profile page.

The only options I got with my shell were the extended cabover (agreed that it is massive and really nice to have more room below for my girlfriend and myself when it's pulled out), screen door, 60" Yakima tracks (for my Yakima LoadWarrior basket and bars for the canoe), and built in forced air furnace with a two-burner stove installed on the furnace cabinet. Inside stove is nice as it's in easy reach to turn on the water to boil for coffee from the warmth of our big blankets. My girlfriend and I are comfortable enough just sitting on the two sides without a couch or anything and using one of those roll-up camp tables (that fits perfectly in one of the side compartments). We are shorter (5'7" and 5'3", ~145lbs and "less than that") and primarily hang inside only on cold, mid-winter nights and windy or rainy nights/mornings). Wish I had gotten the full-length Yakima tracks for better stability lashing the canoe on and for a possible semi-portable solar setup in the near future. Installed the gas struts and enjoy them even without the weight on top. Also installed a digital thermostat and LED lights. No indoor plumbing as pooping or peeing inside grosses us out more than a cat hole or tree and a walmart blue water jug for water is easier in the wintertime.

As far as the truck itself, I've got a ProComp 3" suspension lift and Ride-Rite air bags, clearing 255/85R16 Cooper Discoverer ST D rated tires. Will probably be watching for your posts in the future as I'm looking at the OME and Deaver options for the rear leafs (too dependent on the airbags right now). I can close the tailgate behind the Finch, but prefer to leave the tailgate off, as I use a flip-down spare tire holder in the back (and as a step up to the camper). I have an IBS dual battery setup under the hood to handle the charge of the second battery under there as well (Odyssey 1500MS AGM). Am looking at possibly a 60-120 watt solar panel and charge controller in the near future as the furnace fan seems to drain the aux batt. to 40% or so in just over a evening/morning's use (though not running overnight). Maybe one of those thin-film permanent mount 68W ones.

Hope this helps in your order/build decisions! We're really happy with the balance of size and comfort of our Finch Shell.

-joe D.

Am looking at possibly a 60-120 watt solar panel and charge controller in the near future as the furnace fan seems to drain the aux batt. to 40% or so in just over a evening/morning's use (though not running overnight).
-joe D.

That is why I dumped the furnace and went with a Wave 3, no electric draw.

That is why I dumped the furnace and went with a Wave 3, no electric draw.

I see a lot of people going the Wave route. The lack of need for electricity is a big advantage. One thing I am wondering about is the impact on condensation in the camper. It seems two advantages of a furnace are that the products of combustion are vented outside and the combustion air is vented in directly to the combustion chamber. I'm guessing this results in less condensation but I don't really know. I have been looking at the Propex Heatsource units in particular as an alternative to the Wave. Having a thermostat to control it seems good too.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want me to send you some pics.
-Scott

Thanks for your post. Some pics would be great.

Sorry I'm just getting my quick review of my Finch posted here.
Hope this helps in your order/build decisions! We're really happy with the balance of size and comfort of our Finch Shell.

-joe D.

Great information. Thanks!

"Hope this helps, let me know if you want me to send you some pics.
-Scott"

"Thanks for your post. Some pics would be great."

I would also like to see some pictures of the dinette. Did you make everything yourself or did you order the parts from FWC?

Back
Top Bottom