Looking for more storage

bike4mee

I recently was replacing a rotten panel under the frig and discovered a small space behind the propane compartment. I put a door to access it. You always need more storage in these rigs. Anybody else found little hidden storage areas???

IMG-2839.jpg

I recall somebady modified that panel to have an inset shelf. It looked well done. I like the idea but don't have the skills.

Besides the obvious space behind your turnbuckle doors, there are a few others... like around the sink (if you have one), or in the propane box (I put a shelf above the tanks for water hoses, etc). When I had a chance to see a new flatbed model hawk, i was appalled at the wasted space. One more reason to build your own!

Vic Harder said:
One more reason to build your own!
Amen, Vic.

Whether building your own, remodeling, or just looking and saying "I can do that better", it starts by opening all the doors and removing all the drawers and seeing what you have. From there let your needs guide you.

Boonie

When I was accessing my water pump for maintenance I had to remove a inside wall of a cabinet below the sink. Upon removal I was surprised at the amount of usable space that was hidden. I ended up removing 2 of these inner walls. Like Boonie said, open the drawers and cabinets and make a plan.

If you didn't get the optional stereo radio, there should be some hidden space behind where it would have been installed. On the front dinette Hawk, the radio would be installed under the countertop on the right side (forward). I discovered space there after hitting a whoop-ti-do and having several items bounce out of the silverware drawer on the far left (rear) under the cook-top and discovered spoons, forks, knives, etc., had catapulted their way forward into never never land. Using a flexible display probe for working in walls, I was surprised to discover items I thought I had lost.

I haven't harvested that space yet but I'm thinking about how to do so. ;)

Paul

On the flatbeds there is a large poorly accessible storage area under the sink. I have thought about adding a door/drawer there, but would like it to blend in.

To that end - any leads on where to buy the dark grey laminate used in the silver spur interiors?

When I built out my grandby, I bought a sheet of high quality plywood laminated on both sides from Mayan Hardwood in Ventura.
There were many colors available.
About $200.

Here’s a pic of the cabinet.
I had a cabinetmaker build it, I’m not that talented.
Mayan 805-981-5444

Attachments

• 0CB89129-3106-40AD-81FE-0C94B1767191.jpeg
    0CB89129-3106-40AD-81FE-0C94B1767191.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 174
I just found more space behind the drawers. also, don't forget the wheel wells have a lot of space and 4wc has those tiny little access ports. It's easy to enlarge those for wheel well access

Not so much more useable storage but a good secret hiding spot. In the front corner (roll over couch floorplan) I cut off the screws and replaced them with magnet and pin latching.

Attachments

• D5BF27A4-F9E9-45AF-8F4F-EF9598007045.jpeg
    D5BF27A4-F9E9-45AF-8F4F-EF9598007045.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 35DB5510-C5E8-43AA-B851-3BB69F3FA016.jpeg
    35DB5510-C5E8-43AA-B851-3BB69F3FA016.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 230
Howdy from Jackson Hole!

I've affixed 2 large chrome 3M Command Hooks outside the window behind the cab of my Tacoma. Left & Right. With parachute cord I've managed to hang a short waste water garden hose on one side & collapsible waste water bucket on the other. They rub only the glass and bed liner in front of the camper & can't damage paint. It's a perfect way to store wet, bacteria laden, yucchy stuff. Ohhhh, & I also hang an old can of bear spray from one of them (driver's side). You don't want bear spray accidentally blowing in your cab or FWC!!! The bear spray is for 2 legged critters, not 4.

Thankx for posting this thread. I've now made a lasting contribution to civilization.

One thing I did to achieve more storage was to remove the water heater and furnace. I find the added storage space and weight reduction much more beneficial than a couple appliances that I rarely used. I saved the appliances for easy re-install in case I change my mind or to boost resale. I also constructed the new cabinet doors with pegboard so I can use all the available pegboard accessories just like I do in my garage at home. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom