Looking to buy a "Hawk"

drybarrel

Anyone out there looking to sell their "Hawk" model camper I'm interested. I live in Denver, CO but will travel to pick up. I looking for a fairly newer model that will fit my Toyota Tundra. Thanks!

I don't know the model, but here is an ad that has been running in the local newspaper's classified ads over the last week. Judging by the asking price, it's "newer" I just don't know which model or year it was manufactured.

"Four Wheel brand, pop-up truck bed camper. Includes refrigerator, two burner stove, furnace, electric water pump, roof fan, screen door, roof rack, flood lights, winter insulation, auxillary battery, queen and double beds. $9700. 307-856-5574"

That is a Riverton, Wyoming phone number and Riverton is a 5 hour drive from Denver. Might be worth a phone call to see which model and if it is still available. Riverton is the next town over from me. If after talking to the seller, you want someone to go look at it before deciding whether to drive up here or not, lemme know. I'll be glad to help.

- K.C.

K.C. Thanks a lot for the info! I will check into it and let you know what I hear.

John

K.C., and all that read this... The FWC in Wyoming is a "Granby" Model and sounds nice. Unfortunately it will not fit my Tundra. The owner stated he has used it 3-5 times and bought it new last year. Definately worth looking into if interested in a "Granby".

Actually, here are a couple of pics of Gandby's on Tundras, short bed and long bed, from the FWC site :eek:

Attachments

• tundra_grandby.jpg
    tundra_grandby.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 501
  • tundra_grandby2.jpg
    tundra_grandby2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 488
I have the 6' bed like the white Tundra pictured. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to having the tail gate up or down? New to the pop-up world... Please enlighten me.

If you get the camper made for the 6' bed then you can either remove the tailate or run with it down, you can not close the tailgate. If you get a camper made for an 8' bed then you will have to leave your tailgate on to support the portion of the camper that hangs past the end of the bed.

Short camper short bed: With the tailgate on it gives you a place to put stuff, kind of like a table or a porch for your camper. The tailgate can get beat up when down with rocks and dirt/road grime. You also loose some of your departure angle when off roading.

Tailgate removed: Better departure angle, easier to get in and out of the camper via step bumper or hitch mounted step.

Others will chime in with more opinions.

I have the 6' bed like the white Tundra pictured. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to having the tail gate up or down? New to the pop-up world... Please enlighten me.

I have a FWC Ranger on my 2000 short bed Tundra. Sam pretty much covered it.

I have been very happy with the longer camper. I haven't experienced a problem with the tailgate down. It hasn’t gotten scratched, chipped or damaged. I think with the Tundra, since the bed height is so shallow (~17 ½”), the tailgate doesn’t extend past the bumper as much as on larger trucks. So it is pretty well protected from flying rocks.

With a longer camper, though, your weight is further back so you will notice the weight more. Some people have said that this will un-weight your front wheels. However, we had a ton of snow around here this past winter and the Tundra handled the snow and ice very well with the camper on. With the camper on, I never really needed four wheel drive for icy conditions.

What I like with the longer camper is the extra storage. You have the extra bench under the front window and a storage cabinet on the right side inside the door. After having the Ranger, I kinda wish I had found a Gandby model in my FWC search :D

Attachments

• P1010003_sm.jpg
    P1010003_sm.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 409
Panther for sale

I have a new Panther I am selling. Used only a couple times this summer. Going to get a motor home. Have 3 kids and I need more space.

What is the panther equivelent for an FWC.

And, Doc bird, could you provide a few more details on the camper for sale? Thank you.

TT

It has a 3-way frig,Furance,front sliding window,rear window on passanger side,luggage & boat rack with extra rack bar 48" from front,mechanical jacks,rear flood lights,12 volt outlet, screen door, rear wall steps, dead bolt and aux. battery system. I think that is it.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• camper1.JPG
    camper1.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 338
  • camper2.JPG
    camper2.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 351
  • camper3.JPG
    camper3.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 358
  • camper4.JPG