looks like a good deal

hi my name is james and i am new to the camper community but not camping, have done a lot as in back packing, car camping, four wheeling, and i now have a 90 f350 crew cab and i was going to go the trades man shell and a roof top tent, but i found a 86 four wheel for less than that investment, now the question it is a 86 Grandby Four Wheel PopUp Camper in good condition for what seems to be a good price 1200$ he said it has a couple of repaired pin hole in the fabric and it need the newer heater valve and a small piece of the ply wood fixed, i have read a lot on the site and wanted a couple of opinions on it. thanks james

and here is a link to the camper
http://redding.craigslist.org/rvs/2053011996.html

hi my name is james and i am new to the camper community but not camping, have done a lot as in back packing, car camping, four wheeling, and i now have a 90 f350 crew cab and i was going to go the trades man shell and a roof top tent, but i found a 86 four wheel for less than that investment, now the question it is a 86 Grandby Four Wheel PopUp Camper in good condition for what seems to be a good price 1200$ he said it has a couple of repaired pin hole in the fabric and it need the newer heater valve and a small piece of the ply wood fixed, i have read a lot on the site and wanted a couple of opinions on it. thanks james

and here is a link to the camper
http://redding.craigslist.org/rvs/2053011996.html

Pay attention to the sentence, "Must be 64" wide."

I'd look back through the Redding Craigslist history. I think it's been on there a while @ $1200.00 then listed @ $950.00 on 11/18 then $1200.00 again on 11/23. At least looked the same in the pictures. Pricing aside, if all is more or less structurally sound and appliances are in working order then follow Mr. Ingalls advice above.

There are a couple of threads in this section including a pinned one that have some sound advice about what to look for on used FWC's, width at tailgate included. As you mentioned the fabric, look closely at that component upon survey. Pin holes are one thing, large wear areas in the corners or holes are another. A unit needing new fabric will run several hundred $$s for the material alone, with installation even more.

Best of luck with your decision...

Its certainly worth a look. For that price unless its got a lot of rot and you don't mind some diy repairs and upgrades its probably worthwhile.

A few years back (2002 - 2006) there were a lot of the older FWC's for sale.

But these days they don't seem to be coming up for sale as often ?

You used to be able to get a killer used (older) FWC for around $ 1200.00.

I think the good ol' days are gone.

That camper is the ad is OLD. Probably a late 70's FWC.

There are some better deals out there if you are willing to wait, keep looking, or travel a little ways.

It might be worth $1200, but I would never pay that much for something that old and that condition.

Again, it might be worth if for someone, but it is an oldie and will probably need some work.

You got a big old truck, so you have more options than most when it comes to used campers.

This one looks like it is in better condition and has more options on it, and he sounds motivated to sell, so if you had cash in hand he might be willing to wheel & deal (just guessing here).

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/2091038970.html

I don't know anything about either camper.

Just putting my 2 cents in.

:)

Always glad to share some person tid bits of info when possible.

Happy Camping !

What Stan said. The "real" $1500 deals of old are more like $4K these days. If you're patient, have cash ready, and are willing to drive a day or more, you'll find the right one eventually. The most important thing is patience.

So keep looking - that camper above is HAMMERED. Regardless of price, you'd only be buying someone else's problems.

Minority PoV here...

If the structure is sound, you can replace all the wood and fabric. Just beware of features in the siding that betray a cracked frame, or funny non-straightness in what you think should be straight.

Make him an offer & remember, "Cash is King."

Back
Top Bottom