Lost Coast

eyemgh

I had some days unexpectedly drop into my lap, so I’m hitting the road in a caravan with my son. We’re looking for coastal routes in NorCal. Has anyone done the backcountry trail in the Lost Coast region? Any tips on access points, turns, etc, would be appreciated!

I've done it but it was many years ago and may have changed since then. Definitely worth it.

You should head in to the BLM Kings Range office (768 Shelter Cove Rd, Whitethorn) on the way to Shelter Cove. They are very helpful and have tons of maps and information. A lot of cool unimproved roads there. Kings Peak rd Paradise Ridge rd, Usal rd. It's all you can eat, enjoy!

Bear Harbor, just south of Shelter Cove. Take Whitethorn road to four corners, head west(go straight) at four corners towards the coast. Look or herds of Elk in that area.

Cpt Davenport said:
You should head in to the BLM Kings Range office (768 Shelter Cove Rd, Whitethorn) on the way to Shelter Cove. They are very helpful and have tons of maps and information. A lot of cool unimproved roads there. Kings Peak rd Paradise Ridge rd, Usal rd. It's all you can eat, enjoy!
We didn’t make it by in person, but they were very helpful on the phone. We ended up doing Usal, Kings, Wilder, and Mattole, camping at Usal and Mattole, before finishing at Albee in Humboldt Redwoods. Nate headed south to Big Sur and I took 101 N up to 199.

Apparently, there’s a tax on Usal Rd. A downed tree took my WeBoost off. I’ve never been convinced of its utility anyway. :LOL:

All in all it was a great trip. Next time we’ll hit Bear Harbor. Thank’s everyone!

eyemgh said:
We didn’t make it by in person, but they were very helpful on the phone. We ended up doing Usal, Kings, Wilder, and Mattole, camping at Usal and Mattole, before finishing at Albee in Humboldt Redwoods. Nate headed south to Big Sur and I took 101 N up to 199.

Apparently, there’s a tax on Usal Rd. A downed tree took my WeBoost off. I’ve never been convinced of its utility anyway. :LOL:

All in all it was a great trip. Next time we’ll hit Bear Harbor. Thank’s everyone!
Usal Rd. always seems to offer some challenges ( I don't advise it in the winter). Hit Bear Harbor for sure next time!

Cpt Davenport said:
Usal Rd. always seems to offer some challenges ( I don't advise it in the winter). Hit Bear Harbor for sure next time!
Usal was a fun challenge, but I'm not sure the juice was worth the squeeze in a 10,000 lb vehicle, even dry. Lots of slow going with no views. I'm glad we did it though. Once I remind myself how to do photos, I'll post a trip report.

Back
Top Bottom