Lost River Basin, Idaho

Occidental

Trail Master
We took a few days and wandered around the Lost River Basin in central Idaho. Fly fishing, hiking, wildflowers, and truck camping were on the agenda. This is my favorite place in Idaho (of the places I've been so far), and possibly my favorite of the entire west, but that's hard to judge. This was a short trip, but, we'll be back...

You can see the tale here: https://www.occidentalist.org/lost-river-basin-2023/

Or skip ahead to the video here: https://youtu.be/w3YujKaNYxo

This (and your video) are great! Thanks for taking us along on this adventure. We've spent a couple of trips in part of the areas you covered, but much was new, fresh, and exciting for us. And, of course, nice cutthroats! :) Although we've summited Borah twice, that's all we've done in the Lost River Range itself. Aren't the mountains of the West grand? There's always something more to add to our ever expanding lists. :)

Thanks again.

Pretty sure I know where you were as we've backpacked up into that area. That road can be so bad. I'm glad you didn't ID the lake(s) but just the general area. Let others research, plan, explore and find their "magical" places.

Really enjoyed both the write up and video. Such splendor in those mountains and streams... a lucky man to fly fish those waters. Keep up the travels Ed and hope we cross paths some day.
Off to AK Sunday. Weather looks abysmal which is what September in AK is! Won't dampen my enthusiasm!
Rob

ski3pin said:
This (and your video) are great! Thanks for taking us along on this adventure. We've spent a couple of trips in part of the areas you covered, but much was new, fresh, and exciting for us. And, of course, nice cutthroats! :) Although we've summited Borah twice, that's all we've done in the Lost River Range itself. Aren't the mountains of the West grand? There's always something more to add to our ever expanding lists. :)

Thanks again.

Yes I agree the mountains of the west are grand! I first learned of the Lost River Range in my college geology class - the professor kept popping up these pictures and I was always thinking to myself, "I have to go there". Turns out I worked four summer seasons there through college fighting fires and building trails, it was a delightful place to work and play with those mountains and streams as a backdrop.

kmcintyre said:
Pretty sure I know where you were as we've backpacked up into that area. That road can be so bad. I'm glad you didn't ID the lake(s) but just the general area. Let others research, plan, explore and find their "magical" places.
I agree. Especially those places that are a little more unknown. They are there to find for anyone looking hard enough and finding them is a great reward.

buckland said:
Really enjoyed both the write up and video. Such splendor in those mountains and streams... a lucky man to fly fish those waters. Keep up the travels Ed and hope we cross paths some day.
Off to AK Sunday. Weather looks abysmal which is what September in AK is! Won't dampen my enthusiasm!
Rob
Thanks Rob, hope your trip to Alaska is going (or went) great! I do feel pretty lucky every day I'm out and about!

Occidental said:
Thanks Rob, hope your trip to Alaska is going (or went) great! I do feel pretty lucky every day I'm out and about!
Hey Ed we are in AK having a good time. Last flight of the year to Brooks to spend the day with bears! It was actually sunny best weather day yet. (Flight canceled yesterday with 60 Kt. Wind and rain. I hope to post a trip report when I get home. We are boondocking in nephew’s beast of an AK hard side beat up camper over powered truck on a steel flatbed so we fit in up here with AK plates and my old Kodiak Island brewery hat. I’ve got some interesting local “Waikiki” camping spots. Salmon are walking out of streams and into frying pans. Seriously…

Occidental said:
We took a few days and wandered around the Lost River Basin in central Idaho. Fly fishing, hiking, wildflowers, and truck camping were on the agenda. This is my favorite place in Idaho (of the places I've been so far), and possibly my favorite of the entire west, but that's hard to judge. This was a short trip, but, we'll be back...

You can see the tale here: https://www.occidentalist.org/lost-river-basin-2023/

Or skip ahead to the video here: https://youtu.be/w3YujKaNYxo

Wow, sounds like you had a total blast exploring the Lost River Basin in Idaho! It's always cool to discover new favorite spots to chill at, and the West is full of gems like that. Glad to hear you're planning on going back! Thanks for sharing your story - gonna check out those links you dropped. Cheers!

Ed

Really glad you took us along on this trip! Yep, these are the types of places that need to be left alone and not loved to death as happens so often. Your pictures were great and thanks again :D!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom