Lowering a older 4 wheel camper

Mark J

I have a 2000 Tundra and have finnaly found a 4 wheel camper that will fit my 58" tail gate opening. The owner is not sure of the modle. My questions is am I crazy to try to trim 5" off the bottom so it will fit in my garage? I am ok with the fact that it will only be about 5'6" when popped when done. I am a pretty good wood worker I just do not want to make it unsafe or unstable.

Thanks Mark

Mark, if you're as good with wood as you say, I would go out to the garage with my Sawsall and cut the header out of the door opening and toss into the middle of the street, then I would make a trip to Home Depot for a taller door, cutting the bottom off a camper is a "nuts" idea. For me solution no. 2 would be to move. If you decide to do it please post pictures.

I have a 2000 Tundra and have finnaly found a 4 wheel camper that will fit my 58" tail gate opening. The owner is not sure of the modle. My questions is am I crazy to try to trim 5" off the bottom so it will fit in my garage? I am ok with the fact that it will only be about 5'6" when popped when done. I am a pretty good wood worker I just do not want to make it unsafe or unstable.

Thanks Mark

I live in Breckenridge CO, in a deed restricted home and can not change the header on my garage door but do get to ski fresh powder quite a bit.

Still just hoping I could cut 5" out and make it work. My other two options are to pay 6k for a 4 wheel shell or build my own.

Thanks

Mark

I live in Breckenridge CO, in a deed restricted home and can not change the header on my garage door but do get to ski fresh powder quite a bit.

Still just hoping I could cut 5" out and make it work. My other two options are to pay 6k for a 4 wheel shell or build my own.

Thanks

Mark

Mark, if you were to remove 5 in. from the bottom of the camper you will surly have clearance problems where your camper sits over the cab of your truck, it just isn't feasible. You live in a "FREE" country why in the hell is it anybody's business where or how you park your truck, Fight Back!
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

I agree and I should be able to park it whereever I want but I only own the land were my garage is and hope to afford to move one day. I had the current owner measured and from truck bed to outer side rail part and I have 5 " there. Not sure how much clearance I have at the over the cab part but will ask the seller. Thanks for the help.

Mark

Being a woodworker is not the point as the frame of the camper is aluminum. Will it fit if you air down the tires? Pain in the rear, but I've heard some have been able to fit into the garage this way without wiping off the vent.

Thanks Mark

Mark,

Rather that hack up the floor and walls of your camper, follow this thread and build a dolly.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2821/

Being a woodworker is not the point as the frame of the camper is aluminum. Will it fit if you air down the tires? Pain in the rear, but I've heard some have been able to fit into the garage this way without wiping off the vent.

I guess one of my questions is is the bottom protion (in the truck bed) aluminum framed? I have looked at a few pics that have made me thing this part is all wood.

Mark

Mark,

Rather that hack up the floor and walls of your camper, follow this thread and build a dolly.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2821/

I have thought about this idea. My only concern is that my truck has to fit in the garage every day. I guess I could roll it in on a dolly crank it up and back in around just concerned this could be dificult. I have a small garage.

Thanks for the help

The town where I live. We can not park an RV, boat or atv's outside overnight or risk a $100.00 ticket. Next week I shall start building A dolly for my Grandby. It's easy to say fight it. My neighbor has had a fifth wheel camper in his
back yard all winter. The town now has a lein on the property. AND THIS IS AMERICA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess one of my questions is is the bottom protion (in the truck bed) aluminum framed? I have looked at a few pics that have made me thing this part is all wood.

Mark

Mark,

Here is a photo of an ATC frame. FWC's are similar.

ATC frame.jpg
click to enlarge

Mark,
Go to the ATC website and click on the picture of the frame on the homepage to enlarge it. It shows the ATC framing pretty well. FWC should be pretty similar.

dsrtrat

Mark

You've got a mix of aluminum and wood:
https://www.allterraincampers.com/uploads/framefull1280x960.JPG
The ends are the problem. You could probably carve on the base, but then it likely wouldn't fit in the truck because of the sidewalls of the bed. It would require a new door, welding the frame together at the new height both front and back, and being sure the fender wells clear properly. You would also be lowering the cab to overhang clearance. Frankly, it might well be easier to build one that satisfies the HOA than to modify an FWC or other aluminum framed camper. I also assume the HOA does not want your truck in the driveway so using the garage to store the camper while the truck sits out is not good (the dolly solution) and the garage is not large enough to accommodate the camper and the truck when separated.

As an aside, I wonder if you could even build a cabover that was usable that would fit into the garage opening. You might look at older Alaskans that are non-cabover models to see if they were significantly lower. My memory of my Alaskan (years ago) was that it sat about 4 - 5 inches above the cab of the truck. Heavy, yes. Your truck might not carry one for the weight/dimensions.

You've got a mix of aluminum and wood:
https://www.allterraincampers.com/uploads/framefull1280x960.JPG
The ends are the problem. You could probably carve on the base, but then it likely wouldn't fit in the truck because of the sidewalls of the bed. It would require a new door, welding the frame together at the new height both front and back, and being sure the fender wells clear properly. You would also be lowering the cab to overhang clearance. Frankly, it might well be easier to build one that satisfies the HOA than to modify an FWC or other aluminum framed camper. I also assume the HOA does not want your truck in the driveway so using the garage to store the camper while the truck sits out is not good (the dolly solution) and the garage is not large enough to accommodate the camper and the truck when separated.

As an aside, I wonder if you could even build a cabover that was usable that would fit into the garage opening. You might look at older Alaskans that are non-cabover models to see if they were significantly lower. My memory of my Alaskan (years ago) was that it sat about 4 - 5 inches above the cab of the truck. Heavy, yes. Your truck might not carry one for the weight/dimensions.

Your right I can't park my truck in the driveway all the toys need to be in the garage. Both Lite Craft and 4 wheel can build me a new one that will fit both I do not have the cash for new. I may be able to go with the dolly solution the back half of my garage has the head room. I would then just have to back in strattle camper everyday. Not sure if this would be practical? I think the older Alaskans do weight to much.

Thanks you for your help.

Mark

For all its worth Mark, I have an ATC Bobcat of which I store in my garage and built a dolly for it to move in and out. Once inside, I put it sideways up against the front of the garage and then I jack it back up on its legs. The front of the car which has a pointed nose goes under the camper from the side. The front of my truck goes under the front eve of the sleeping portion of the camper from the side. I hope this makes sense. With that said, my wife and I aren't too tall so we can walk under the eve once the camper is jacked back up and I do not drive the car daily. But, the truck moves in and out quite easily.

Just some more information.

Darryl

Salty's right. (I know I'll regret that statement) How about getting a come along and ratchting down the front and rear suspension of the truck 5 inches securing it and driving into the garage?

Back
Top Bottom