LP bottle hold down improvement

HERR42

currently the LP gas tank is held down by a 9/16 bolt...its an 1 1/2 long when it could be a bit shorter....but tell me, is there no spring loaded retainer available for this purpose? wrenching it each time seem a little crude.

Anyone seen anything better?

...and look at this! clear plastic tanks! http://www.lpgastanks.com/propane-tanks/lc20

Wing Nut

Mine came with a wing nut instead of a hex head (probably replaced by the original owner). When I was at the FWC factory Friday I saw they were still using hex head nuts to hold down the tank.

propane hold down

We are currently using a thumb screw to hold the tank down. I believe it is call a tork washer that we use on the outside. It is flat with 4 prongs and a hole in it that is the same thread as the thumb screw.

Just pound the washer in place and put the thumb screw through the tank hold down and tighten.

Can send you some pics in a couple of weeks when I get back if you need them. Leaving in the morning for Kansas City. Let me know if you need more info or would like us to send you a set up. Again, can send it out when I get back.

I'd be leary of a fiberglass tank in my camper. Those might be fine for the bbq but is that going to hold up if you were in a vehicle accident?

Jeff,
I contacted those guys with the plastic tanks and they told me they currently dont have the ability to build a horizontal tank. They do make a small vertical tank that might fit in the locker. They say have conducted a lot of rough road tests and crash test and the tanks do just fine. The weight savings is substantial but they are pricey.

I would stay away from the fiberglass propane tanks on the FWC campers.

We got a sample in from our supplier, and they really are sweet, BUT right now they don't offer these in the horizontal style tanks.

We really wanted to switch over to them because they are light weight and the "see through" is a cool feature.

But right now if you need a horizontal tank, these won't be the right application for your camper.

The outer cover is plastic, and I think the tank is some sort of fiberglass weave / wrap.

Might make a great spare tank if you can use it in the verticle position (sitting on the ground with an extension hose).

Happy Camping !

Torque Washer/T-Nut

Hey Ben,

The nut you're describing is what I've always known as a T-nut, though torque washer does fit the installation procedure. Whatever you call it they are very handy little critters for certain applications.

Those look pretty cool, i think i'll let them field test them for a while before i throw down that kind of coin!

I haven't checked, but I imagine there is some sort of gauge available for our tanks that could indicate how much is left? Anyone know of something?

brett, thats a good question, i would also be interested in something like that...time to search the web!

Brett I have seen these around locally. I would wait and see if it will fit since it adds length. I think Sportsmans Warehouse was one place I saw it. On my FWC Ranger it won't fit, though.

My tank has a built in guage but don't know about the new ones. Although I just filled the tank and the guage still reads 1/2 :eek:

Jim,

My tank also came with the built in gauge but it isn't very accurate. When I filled the tank this spring the gauge read about 40% full, but only took 1 1/2 gallons and then read 75% full. Can't really depend on it.

I have one of these
propanemeasure.jpg

http://www.seefred.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/page=propanetank.htm

It's a magnetic strip you stick on the tank; then pour a cup of very hot water on it and it shows the tank level.
They work great and last a long time; not sure how it would work for an installed tank tho'
I sure like the look of that f'glass tank ; that's a serious weight advantage.

i started this thread a long time ago, i thought i should try to go fishing again....maybe someone new has seen something new?

currently the LP gas tank is held down by a 9/16 bolt...its an 1 1/2 long.

... is there no spring loaded retainer available for this purpose?
wrenching it each time seem a little crude.

I'll ponder as the one time I've pulled my tank out so far I thought it a bit crude as well.

What really sucks is when you drop the 1'1/2 inch bolt down into the bed of the truck while your filling the propane tank..i did this the other day before an offroad run:confused:.. got it back and into position after much contortion, and luck..

Mine has a wing nut on top..

What really sucks is when you drop the 1'1/2 inch bolt down into the bed of the truck while your filling the propane tank..i did this the other day before an offroad run:confused:.. got it back and into position after much contortion, and luck..

Mine has a wing nut on top..

Tomas,

I picked up a brass insert that is threaded. Slightly enlarged the hole and screwed it into the wood. Now I just have a drop in bolt from the top that is easy to remove.

I haven't checked, but I imagine there is some sort of gauge available for our tanks that could indicate how much is left? Anyone know of something?

I have a guage that reads horizontally as well as vertically. This guage will tell you what's left should you decide to mount the tank in either position.

Back
Top Bottom