LPG Tank question

regulator mount

Here are some pictures of how we are doing it now. We use what they call a z bracket to mount the regulator to the box. Your bulkhead fitting is in the back of the box so the exact location that is in the pictures would not work for you. Just mount it where it is out of the way of the tank sliding in and out.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

Attachments

• IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 356
Ahh, very clean install!. I found some regulators localy that claim to work for various portable heaters, they are smaller and will fit my application however they are only single stage regulators. I guess a 2 stage regulator is called for? what are the minimum requirments for a regulator on these campers?

Thanks,
Sam

regulator

To be honest we have always used a two stage regulator on the camper. I will ask Jeff as to why tomorrow. I really have no idea why we use the two stage vs. a one stage regulator.

Will let you know on that one.

regulator

Talked to Jeff this morning and asked why we use the two stage regulator and his answer was, "because we always have".

In other words, we don't know why we have always used the two stage vs the single stage.

I have a couple of phone calls out to people now that will be able to give me some answers. Will let you know as soon as I get them.

regulator

Just talked to our vendor for the regulators and was told that anything inside requires a two stage regulator. The two stage reduces the PSI coming into the appliance.

The vendor told me that anything outside can use a single stage regulator with the higher psi.

Then the vendor told me a story of someone who tried to use a one stage regulator to control a heater inside a tent. The heater caught the tent on fire and a little girl was burned badly in the process. In the lawsuit that followed it was determined that the use of the single stage regulator was the result of the fire.

So to be on the safe side, I would use a two stage regulator. Now we know why we use one.

I don't think a Manchester #20 Horizontal will fit in my propane compartment. Are you sure the real old 4wc's like mine take this tank.

My dimensions are height 13 depth 19 length 13

The #20 is height 13.9 length 17.4 diameter 12.2

I think I may need to get a #10. Am I crazy ?????????

tank

smileyd,
I sent you a pm message two days ago on this size question. I think your camper takes a normal tank like the 20 # tanks that walmart has. this would be a good thing becouse those tanks are easy to have refilled or even exchange. if you could post a photo of your propane door hatch Jeff would know by sight what will fit. All fwc campers took the 20# tank. And they were held in belive it or not with a stick. I have one of the old sticks here if you need a size on it. Have a good day.

Marty

tank

Smileyd,
I just measured the old grandby that i have and for a stand up tank the door lifts up and the inside measures 14 wide 12 1/4 deep 19 3/4 high so maby your camper is a little newer than we thought it is. the lay down Manchester tank measures in at 17 1/2 long and 12 1/2 high and will be a snug fit. your gas box door may even have a dent in it from the tank. So to be safe a photo would be best.

Marty

I will take a picture of my propane tank space tomarrow for you Marty.

I appreciate your help and I got your pm. Thank You!! By the way "a stick??"

Dorian works really hard and long hours. I am trying to get as much done as I can to make the deadline for our big journey and I need all the help I can get. We still have 3 months though haha

:))
Angelina

stick

smileyd,
I will take a photo of the stick in place tomorrow and ask Ben to post it for you to see. I could not believe it either the first time I seen it. It actually held the tank into the box so the tank did not crush the door when you hit a bump. Back then the build code must have been more lax or not at all. haha

Marty

Marty,

Dorian seams to think I am crazy. haha

He thinks that it takes the horizontal tank. I agree.

Although the measurements are tight (my last meas. were not exact like yours) and their is a lip in the front, he thinks he can angle the tank in and it will be fine. I still have doubts about the height though.

I will still send you pictures, we are going to wait until the weekend to remeasure and purchase.

lp tank

One question for you. The measurements that you gave of 13 x 13. Are these the open space when you open the door and the depth is the 19 measurment?

If they are, then the actual box is probably 14.25 x 14.25 inside measurments and that is the standard size for the lay down tank. It barely fits through the door but fits fine in the box.

Here are the pics of my propane tank space. I know you will say that it takes a 20 horizontal, but maybe not..

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 258
That looks just like my camper wich is a 1989 and I just put a horizontal tank in it. Like Ben said it barely fits through the door but does fit inside the box ok.

Also I noticed an electrical connection and maybe a switch in the LPG box in your picture, I am no expert but is this a good idea to have an ignition source right in with the tank?

Sam.

lp tank

From the pictures that you put up, it does take the 5 gallon lay down tank. We measured one that we have here and the height of the tank is just under 13 inches. It should just barely clear the door but will fit into the box at an angle.

tank and liner

Your welcome. I believe that we finally talked today. So if you need any more material, just let me know. Hope the repairs work out ok for you.

Yes, we spoke today.

It's rainy here and I havent received the VLP Glue so I don't think we will get to it this weekend, but for sure next weekend. I will tell you how it goes and I will have your number handy Ben just in case. You explained everything really well though. Havent measured the patches either so I will let you know if we need more material.

THE GUYS AT ALL TERRAIN ROCK!!!!

BEN, THERE MAY BE A GOOD CARMA FAIRY SENDING YOU A CARE PACKAGE SO LOOK OUT FOR IT NEXT WEEK.

Back
Top Bottom