LPG Tank question

Sam

Hello,

Trying to get things ironed out on a used Hawk I just purchased. Mine is an older model (1989) and came with a BBQ style propane tank that sits in the LPG compartment on it's side. The tank has no mount to secure it, and the regulator and hose hardly fit in the compartment when connected to the tank. It does not seem like this is the proper tank.

Questions are; Is this the correct tank? if not then what style tank came in this unit? Also is it safe to use an LPG tank on it's side, it seems as though you could get liquid rather than gas this way, seems bad?

I must warn you now there will be many more questions from me in the near future as I work on getting ths camper up to par for my first journey.

Thanks everyone,
Sam

LPG tanks generally used on their sides are the HORIZONTAL type. There is a built in system to let them work. If you use a regular (Vertical)type tank on it's side liquid propane will come out. That is VERY dangerous. The HORIZONTAL tanks are stamped for that type of use. They also don't have to be hydro checked as often. Generally they have a "L" shaped bracket attached to mount them with.

Horizonal LPG Tank

Captiankettle is right. Do not use a vertical tank in the horizontal position.

These tanks can be fairly pricey. I was able to locate this type of tank on the net at well under the $200 price quoted by the local RV supply.

tank

Hi sam,
your tank should have a foot on it under your valve. in the bottom of the foot is a small hole where a bolt went threw the tank connecting it to the floor pack. if you could post a photo of your tank we could for sure let you know if it is wrong. have a nice day. marty

Usually you can get the best price going right to your local propane place (amerigas or whatever is local to you) and even if they don't have one I'm sure they could help you get one.

Usually you can get the best price going right to your local propane place (amerigas or whatever is local to you) and even if they don't have one I'm sure they could help you get one.

I was able to pick up a new horizontal tank (without guage) for just 80 bucks from my local Amerigas.

propane tank

Sam

Here is a photo of the lay down type propane tank. The foot that Marty mentions in the earlier post is covered by the hose on the bottom. This gives you a good idea though of what the proper tank should look like. The second picture shows the thumb screw we now use to attach the tank. Yours should actually have a bolt that went all the way through the camper.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

Attachments

• PROPANE TANK compressed.JPG
    PROPANE TANK compressed.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 535
  • THUMB SCREW compressed.JPG
    THUMB SCREW compressed.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 544
That reminds me. Double nut that bolt or safety wire it or something. I pulled over at a rest stop one time and found the bolt with about half a thread left of falling out. I'd hate to test that flimsy door with a sliding propane tank.

propane tank bolt

One way to solve that problem is to buy one of the nuts that has the 4 prongs on it. Get another bolt the same size that is an all thread. Install the nut on the underside of the camper over the hole that the propane tank bolt goes through. Now thread the bolt through the nut and tighten. This will hold the bolt in place and you will be able to use a thumb screw on the top side inside the propane box to hold the tank in place and not have to worry about the bolt coming loose. If you really want a no worry installation of the bolt, add some lock tight.

Sincerely,

Ben

size, hom many gallons

What is the correct size horizontal propane tank for the 4wc???

How many gallons does is hold??

propane tank size

The correct model of propane tank for the FWC is a 20 pound, 5 gallon tank. The Manchester tank number is 10487TC.

If you are having a problem finding one, we can always ship one to you.

Sincerely,

Ben

thank you

Thanks you two that helped me alot.

Now I can go ahead and purchase our propane tank.

Thanks again, my camper friends rock!!!!

Angelina

Propane tank

Glad we could be of help. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or give us a call.

Sincerely,

Ben

Regulator question

Hello,

I finaly got the correct LPG tank from www.Fisheriesspply.com they had the best price I could find. Thanks for the help on that one.

My new problem is with the regulator. It does not fit in the compartment with the tank. It seems as though this is the wrong regulator, but in all my paperwork that came with the camper from the factory there is literature on this regulator so I'm not sure what the deal is. I have included pictures so you guys can see what I am talking about.

Should I just get some elbows etc. to make this regulator work or? What do the rest of you guys have?

Thanks,
Sam

Attachments

• LPG tank.jpg
    LPG tank.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 288
An elbow like this one may work. The extra connection is for an outside stove etc. You might also compare the size of that regulator to a new one and see if a new one is smaller.

This site has a good selection of fittings if you decide to make an elbow:
http://www.flameengineering.com/Parts_Accessories.html

Good luck,
Jim

Attachments

• propane-tank-adapter.jpeg
    propane-tank-adapter.jpeg
    12.5 KB · Views: 288
propane tank

Smiled,
Marty here and i just thought of something sorry about being slow. Can you take a photo of your gas box both open and closed and forward them to this site. I think your camper takes a stand up tank and these are much less expensive to buy. like wall mart has them. agin i am sorry for being slow on this. is your gas box taller than it is deep. this will also tell the story. have a good day

Marty

regulator fit

The regulator will not fit because of the new design on the new tanks compared to the old tanks. On the old tanks the regulator went directly into the tank. On the new design like you just bought, we have a hose that goes from the tank to the regulator and another hose that goes from the regulator to the bulkhead fitting in the propane box.

We actually mount the regulator in the propane box.

The site that Jim gave you should give you the supplies that you need to correct the problem that you are having. If you need more help, just let us know.

Sincerely,

Ben

Back
Top Bottom