Lundy Canyon & Lakes Canyon - September 2019

Good story and photos! Crazy to see all the equipment littered about. Seeing these places I always wonder about the process of getting those old mines built in the first place. Thanks for the report!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Lovely country! You increased my vocabulary, too. I had never heard adit used before.

As always, thanks for letting us tag along!
Thanks Mr. Sage and I'm happy to help with the mining tunnel terms!

takesiteasy said:
Good story and photos! Crazy to see all the equipment littered about. Seeing these places I always wonder about the process of getting those old mines built in the first place. Thanks for the report!
It was common place with the boom and bust of the mining West to salvage equipment and building materials from one site and move to another. Aurora, Nevada is a good example as it was almost completely striped. To find so much equipment still up in this basin points to how difficult this site is to reach. Thanks for the kind comments, takesiteasy! :)

I want to add that my friend, David A. Wright, mentioned in my narrative had a website on backcountry roads. I believe it was called Reconnoitering in the Eastern Sierra. David stopped doing the website several years back and removed it. It was a site I used often and I suspect several of the old timers here will remember it.

I much enjoy your reports and inclusion of geology and mining history. And as a reformed geologist, I always notice the proper use of topographic maps as indicated by Julies task of "staying found" as your traverse proceeds.

Fine, fine effort, as always! Thanks!

Foy

Foy, you are so kind, thank you. Also, I appreciate the large font! It eliminates copy and paste of the posts I want to read to another document and enlarge. The old eyes are getting better since the last surgery................ah, but that will come up in the next trip story. :)

Thanks Ski for the latest adventure.
The history you tell us about from ate areas you travel
is very interesting to read.
It' always amazes me all the "huge" pieces of machinery
left behind and how they were delivered to some of these
far off places.
Keep on telling your great stories.
Frank

Ski, another interesting trip report. There is so much the Earth has to share with us. Those old mines are like ghosts from the past, yet they speak to you as you wander through the debris field of tallings and old equipment. Thanks, jd

Back
Top Bottom