Magic Chef Stove help

dakeddie

Does anyone know the model number of the standard magic chef stove that would've come in a '63 Alaskan? I can't read it off the tag. Or does anyone know where to get parts? I need the gaskets that go between the burner and the fuel/air mixing tube.

Burners.jpg
Tag.JPG

A couple of my stove burners are not burning very nicely as you can see. The left rear is burning very yellow and sooty, and the front is burning blue/orange. The right rear is almost perfect blue.

So far I've disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the left rear and front valves. I also blasted the jets out with carb clean and compressed air. No change.

I took off the left rear burner (removed the three screws) and the gasket was definitely broken from before. I'd like to replace these gaskets all around. If it's not that, maybe there's a blockage in the fuel rail, which might explain why the burners are burning worse the further down the rail they go.

Any other ideas?

I'm not a stove guy, but given that you have one burner working nicely you could use it for troubleshooting the remainder to see if it is the gasket. Rotate them and see how they burn on the different locations.

I'm assuming you could get a universal gasket making kit if needed.

I know there are thousands of Coleman enthusiasts that restore Coleman products. You could likely get some great suggestions there in minutes.

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com

Thanks for trying guys, really need the model number for our stoves. I found several stove parts suppliers, but Magic Chef has made hundreds of different models it seems and there are tons of parts to sort through.

The gasket is a special metal foil / asbestos? / foil sandwich. I think gasket making material would be hard to source, but I'm sure the parts are out there. Just need the model number to search for them.

There were quite a few different stove manufacturers supplying stoves to Alaskan in the different assembly plants. I have 2-70's and they're both different....

but....they should have the same diameter lines and gaskets...determined by propane use and the btu's of the burners...mostly the same for the campers....I just happened to have a stove apart right now and I'll check the size of the gasket and repost......if they fit, they're yours....Merry Christmas

If they don't match...take a look at exhaust manifold gasket material.... ;)

So...I went out and checked the stove....not a Magic chef....no gaskets either...different setup..."Holiday" brand...with a floating supply tube and an open riser to the burner..

sorry....good luck

Thank Rusty. I fixed it last night though!

I cut new gasket out of exhaust gasket material like you suggested. I had concerns that it wouldn't work because the old gaskets were so much softer. I lapped the underside of the burner that mates to the gasket with 320grit on an a granite block. Made it nice and flat. This with the new gasket fixed the middle burner.

I did the same to the rear left, it helped but still burned yellow pretty badly. Turns out there were cobwebs in the runner tube from the valve to the burner. Blew it out with compressed air, now I'm good to go!

dakeddie said:
Thank Rusty. I fixed it last night though!

I cut new gasket out of exhaust gasket material like you suggested. I had concerns that it wouldn't work because the old gaskets were so much softer. I lapped the underside of the burner that mates to the gasket with 320grit on an a granite block. Made it nice and flat. This with the new gasket fixed the middle burner.

I did the same to the rear left, it helped but still burned yellow pretty badly. Turns out there were cobwebs in the runner tube from the valve to the burner. Blew it out with compressed air, now I'm good to go!
Our friends with eight legs like the smell of propane. My water heater is where I have the most problem with them. Prior to firing up, if it's been unused for a while, I run a plastic wire through the gas tube.

Back
Top Bottom