Magruder Corridor

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member
Okay third time is the charm for posting this. After hitting the attachment button three times and watching my post go poof well....let's try the gallery way. So, if you want to see all of the pics, check out Pete's pics in the gallery.

Anywho, before storing the camper for winter the wife unit and I decided to take in some Idaho scenery for a week. So, we meandered down to McCall and camped at the Ponderosa State Park for a couple of days while visiting friends. Nice park, clean, good sized spaces, and showers. Its located right next to Payette Lake and this time of year was pretty vacant other than the afternoon arrivals of snowbirds heading south. There are quite a few hiking loops to keep ya occupied, good leg stretchers. Can easily walk into town for grub and libations.

On a whim decided to do the Magruder Corridor which is basically a 117 mile section of bad road that stretches between Elk City, ID (think Deliverance) and Darby, MT. Its unique due to it running between two huge wilderness areas, the Selway-Bitteroot and the Frank Church River of No Return. Alot of the country has been burned over which also enhances being able to see out. The road itself is single lane, rough as a cob, and if you have the misfortune to run into the ubiquitous outfitters pulling horse trailers, well, you'll get the opportunity to hone your backing skills. If your sidekick is like mine, you'll also get a blow by blow on how close to the edge of the road you are, whose idea was this anyway?, and what's that grinding noise?

gallery_291_134_129654.jpg

We only spent one nite although one could spend several weeks with all the trails, lookouts to visit, and high mountain lakes to explore. Folks should consider not visiting around hunting season as all the campgrounds along the way and a good chunk of the dispersed sites were occupied with hunting camps. Not unusual for Potato Land, just not alot of options here.

From Darby we went north and up and over Lolo Pass. a nite on the Powell Rd and then pushed onto the Weitas Guard Station which is kind of back of beyond. This is a nice place to come and hang out on those hot summer days. Weitas Creek runs right by the station and is an excellent fly fishing stream. Trail systems run up and down the crick and tie into even more trails which will lead you into some remote country where its just you and the wolves. The hosts are volunteers and they love to show folks around and yatter over a tall, cool glass of lemonade. And, there's Mac the Moose to entertain.

gallery_291_134_33501.jpg

That looks like an interesting route you took, I'll have to add it to my list. Moose on the loose! Next time you are in Bend I'll feed you some free beers.

Here's a link to the gallery:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=291&do=view_album&album=134

I spent 3 days in August of 08 going over MaGruder. Kind of exciting as I took a Dodge dually with a 12'tall S&S camper with a slide out!!!

Still want to find the masacre site. Guess the trail is long gone.

IM001608.jpg

Nice trip. I am a flatlander but sure miss camping in the mountains.

Okay third time is the charm for posting this. After hitting the attachment button three times and watching my post go poof well....let's try the gallery way. So, if you want to see all of the pics, check out Pete's pics in the gallery.

Anywho, before storing the camper for winter the wife unit and I decided to take in some Idaho scenery for a week. So, we meandered down to McCall and camped at the Ponderosa State Park for a couple of days while visiting friends. Nice park, clean, good sized spaces, and showers. Its located right next to Payette Lake and this time of year was pretty vacant other than the afternoon arrivals of snowbirds heading south. There are quite a few hiking loops to keep ya occupied, good leg stretchers. Can easily walk into town for grub and libations.

On a whim decided to do the Magruder Corridor which is basically a 117 mile section of bad road that stretches between Elk City, ID (think Deliverance) and Darby, MT. Its unique due to it running between two huge wilderness areas, the Selway-Bitteroot and the Frank Church River of No Return. Alot of the country has been burned over which also enhances being able to see out. The road itself is single lane, rough as a cob, and if you have the misfortune to run into the ubiquitous outfitters pulling horse trailers, well, you'll get the opportunity to hone your backing skills. If your sidekick is like mine, you'll also get a blow by blow on how close to the edge of the road you are, whose idea was this anyway?, and what's that grinding noise?

gallery_291_134_129654.jpg

We only spent one nite although one could spend several weeks with all the trails, lookouts to visit, and high mountain lakes to explore. Folks should consider not visiting around hunting season as all the campgrounds along the way and a good chunk of the dispersed sites were occupied with hunting camps. Not unusual for Potato Land, just not alot of options here.

From Darby we went north and up and over Lolo Pass. a nite on the Powell Rd and then pushed onto the Weitas Guard Station which is kind of back of beyond. This is a nice place to come and hang out on those hot summer days. Weitas Creek runs right by the station and is an excellent fly fishing stream. Trail systems run up and down the crick and tie into even more trails which will lead you into some remote country where its just you and the wolves. The hosts are volunteers and they love to show folks around and yatter over a tall, cool glass of lemonade. And, there's Mac the Moose to entertain.

gallery_291_134_33501.jpg

Back
Top Bottom