Maintenance surprise

craig333

Riley's Human
So I was cleaning up after the last trip (and trying to make it presentable for the rally) I noticed some of my silicone caulking coming off. Fixed that today (only a few spots and i used 3m 4000 this time) but while I was on the ladder I noticed the insulation on the wiring from the camper to the solar panel was showing signs of UV degradation. The wire from the panel itself looks fine. Also the heat shrink connectors I used are also showing signs of UV degradation. Replacing the wires is problematic since I used 3m 5200 to seal it up. I'm thinking maybe just splitting a piece of rubber hose and covering it with that unless anyone has a better idea.

I put a weather-tight duplex box screwed to the roof over the hole and sealed it to the roof w/ 5200. Then I used waterproof "grip-tights" or strain-reliefs to pass the wires thru the side of the box. I don;t like how tall it is above the roof, but it's been up there for a year and so far no leaks. Inside of the box I glued down a short terminal strip so that it is easy to change things in the future.

Back
Top Bottom